Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Multiplexing algorithms implemented in the CISCO ATM switches

Multiplexing algorithms implemented in the CISCO ATM switches

Aleksey.M.Panov@gmail.com

I am now studying the cell multiplexing algorithms in ATM.

The most relevant paper I have managed to find regarding the subject
is:
Zvi Rosberg, “Cell multiplexing in ATM networks,” IEEE/ACM Trans.
Networking, vol. 4, pp. 112-122,
Feb. 1996.
But I would like to find out the situation today.
What are the multiplexing algorithms implemented in the CISCO ATM
switches we have today?
Is there any development work in this area?

Unfortunately I have not found this information in the datasheets.
Probably it is stated indirectly or else.
I have found mentions regarding IMA, but this is quite opposite with
that what I am looking for.

Probably you may give me some links, algorithm names, HW descriptions,
to look into.

Stephen

On Sat, 24 May 2008 01:11:37 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>I am now studying the cell multiplexing algorithms in ATM.
>
>The most relevant paper I have managed to find regarding the subject
>is:
>Zvi Rosberg, “Cell multiplexing in ATM networks,” IEEE/ACM Trans.
>Networking, vol. 4, pp. 112-122,
>Feb. 1996.
>But I would like to find out the situation today.
>What are the multiplexing algorithms implemented in the CISCO ATM
>switches we have today?

that might be because there do not seem to be any Cisco ATM switches
actually in production

Lightstream, Catalyst 85xx, IGXes all went end of life a while back.

you should still be able to find the info on the cisco web site though
- but whether public docs ever went to that level of detail is a
different Q

>Is there any development work in this area?
>
>Unfortunately I have not found this information in the datasheets.
>Probably it is stated indirectly or else.
>I have found mentions regarding IMA, but this is quite opposite with
>that what I am looking for.
>
>Probably you may give me some links, algorithm names, HW descriptions,
>to look into.

ATMforum used to do a lot of development work - you can find their
docs at their new home:
http://www.ipmplsforum.org/tech/atm_specs.shtml

IBM made some pretty good ATM gear until they decided to give up on
building network plumbing - a lot of it is covered in the IBM Redbooks
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/

public ATM switches (ie telco gear rather than enterprise) tends to
use different design constraints - try the various manufacturers

The ones i recall include cisco, newbridge (now part of Alcatel), and
Fore (part of Marconi, who just got swept up into Ericsson).
--
Regards

(E-Mail Removed) - replace xyz with ntl