Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Data transfer works only one-way ?! Please help ...

Data transfer works only one-way ?! Please help ...

Gilles Garrigues

Here is my problem.

I have a local network (Netgear router) under WinXP SP2 with 2 desktops and
2 laptops (Wi-Fi connection).Each one has a shared folder for communication.
They all access internet without a problem BUT:
The 2 desktops and one laptop communicate between themselves without any
problem.
The 2. laptop can receive shared data from the 3 other computers but the 3
other computers CANNOT access shared data located on the 2. laptop. The
error message says (in french) something like:
\\laptop2\tranfer is not accessible. You may not have the necessary rights
to access this network ressource. Contact your administrator... Not enough
memory on the serveur to handle that command".

This used to work like a charm for the past 2 years. What the hell is
happening ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

If you logon both computers using the same administrator account with the
same password, can you access it?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Gilles Garrigues" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4837cbf5$0$924$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is my problem.
>
> I have a local network (Netgear router) under WinXP SP2 with 2 desktops
> and 2 laptops (Wi-Fi connection).Each one has a shared folder for
> communication. They all access internet without a problem BUT:
> The 2 desktops and one laptop communicate between themselves without any
> problem.
> The 2. laptop can receive shared data from the 3 other computers but the 3
> other computers CANNOT access shared data located on the 2. laptop. The
> error message says (in french) something like:
> \\laptop2\tranfer is not accessible. You may not have the necessary rights
> to access this network ressource. Contact your administrator... Not enough
> memory on the serveur to handle that command".
>
> This used to work like a charm for the past 2 years. What the hell is
> happening ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Gilles Garrigues

Thanks Bob for your help. However administrator rights are not the problem.

I Googled a little bit (should have started there) and found out that the
reason originates from installing Acronis True Image 11 on laptop 2.
The workaround: use regedit and create a new key "IRPStackSize" with a value
18 or higher in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters
No wonder I could't solve it myself )

BTW this can also happen with some Anti-Virus softs.
================================================== ================================================== ==
"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you logon both computers using the same administrator account with the
> same password, can you access it?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Gilles Garrigues" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4837cbf5$0$924$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Here is my problem.
>>
>> I have a local network (Netgear router) under WinXP SP2 with 2 desktops
>> and 2 laptops (Wi-Fi connection).Each one has a shared folder for
>> communication. They all access internet without a problem BUT:
>> The 2 desktops and one laptop communicate between themselves without any
>> problem.
>> The 2. laptop can receive shared data from the 3 other computers but the
>> 3 other computers CANNOT access shared data located on the 2. laptop. The
>> error message says (in french) something like:
>> \\laptop2\tranfer is not accessible. You may not have the necessary
>> rights to access this network ressource. Contact your administrator...
>> Not enough memory on the serveur to handle that command".
>>
>> This used to work like a charm for the past 2 years. What the hell is
>> happening ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Thank you for the update.