Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax K20D memory card compatibility

Pentax K20D memory card compatibility

hellman@stanford.edu

I just bought a K20D and the manual says to visit the Pentax website
to determine memory card compatibility. Maybe it's there somewhere,
but I couldn't find it. Can anyone help, either with a URL or the
info? I'm interested in the maximum card size and required (or
desirable) card speed. Thanks very much.

Martin

Mike Cawood, HND BIT

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a K20D and the manual says to visit the Pentax website
> to determine memory card compatibility. Maybe it's there somewhere,
> but I couldn't find it. Can anyone help, either with a URL or the
> info? I'm interested in the maximum card size and required (or
> desirable) card speed. Thanks very much.
>
> Martin

According to their site
http://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/pr...nische_details
it takes SD & SDHC memory cards.
Mike.

hellman@stanford.edu

On May 24, 3:37*am, "Mike Cawood, HND BIT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> According to their sitehttp://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/products/index.php?cameras&gruppe=d...
> it takes SD & SDHC memory cards.
> Mike.

I should have stated that I knew it takes SD and SDHC cards. My
question related to the maximum size and required, or desired, speed.
Thanks.

Martin

Jürgen Exner

>On May 24, 3:37*am, "Mike Cawood, HND BIT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> According to their sitehttp://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/products/index.php?cameras&gruppe=d...
>> it takes SD & SDHC memory cards.
>> Mike.

>I should have stated that I knew it takes SD and SDHC cards. My
>question related to the maximum size

SDHC in the current version is limited to 32GB. To rightfully bear the
SDHC logo an SDHC flash card cannot be larger and any device must be
able to handle cards up to that size.

>and required, or desired, speed.

That very much depends upon _how_ _you_ are using the camera.
Taking single photos once every few minutes and you are patient when
downloading the photos to your computer? Then any speed will do fine.
Using burst mode in RAW format? You certainly want a very fast card.
Never patient with downloads? You want a very fast card and a fast card
reader, probably even FireWire, SATA, or SCSI instead of USB.

jue

Steve

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jürgen Exner
says...

> That very much depends upon _how_ _you_ are using the camera.
> Taking single photos once every few minutes and you are patient when
> downloading the photos to your computer? Then any speed will do fine.
> Using burst mode in RAW format? You certainly want a very fast card.
> Never patient with downloads? You want a very fast card and a fast card
> reader, probably even FireWire, SATA, or SCSI instead of USB.

I guess the question is what the maximum read and write speed is for the
K20D. Based on that information one could choose the fastest card (or a
cheaper card if speed is not so important).
--

Alfred Molon

When I bought my K20 from B&H I also got 3 8gb Sandisk Extreme III SDHC
cards and they're working out fine. I believe the earlier poster is correct
that if the camera says SDHC, it should handle any SDHC capacity.

Steve

Pete D

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 24, 3:37 am, "Mike Cawood, HND BIT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> According to their
> sitehttp://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/products/index.php?cameras&gruppe=d...
> it takes SD & SDHC memory cards.
> Mike.

I should have stated that I knew it takes SD and SDHC cards. My
question related to the maximum size and required, or desired, speed.
Thanks.

Martin

Just get a couple or 4 or 8 Gig Class 6 units from Sandisk or Kingston or
A-Data, they all seem to be pretty good.