Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Profiles

Wireless Profiles

Abhi

Hi,

I am working on an application to automatically transfer wireless
profiles between different computers. I have been able to retrieve all
the wireless profile (aka Preferred networks) information stored on a
Vista/XP machine in the form of XML strings. I have posted a sample
below. I want to know how what exactly is stored in the "keyMaterial"
field?

I know it is not the actual network key for that wireless network, but
the same seems to be stored in an encrypted form. What I want to know
is what kind of encryption is used and is there any way to obtain the
actual network key from this?

BTW I am using the ManagedWifi library from codeplex along with API's
from the System.Net.NetworkInformation namespace as well as some of
the NativeWifi API's.

Thanks in advance.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<WLANProfile xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/networking/WLAN/profile/
v1">
<name>example</name>
<SSIDConfig>
<SSID>
<hex>63656C6C7024242344</hex>
<name>example</name>
</SSID>
</SSIDConfig>
<connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
<MSM>
<security>
<authEncryption>
<authentication>WPAPSK</authentication>
<encryption>TKIP</encryption>
<useOneX>false</useOneX>
</authEncryption>
<sharedKey>
<keyType>networkKey</keyType>
<protected>false</protected>

<keyMaterial>9B445645E12DF6DDFE5C6694524324234FCCB C771057A3B5513F3</
keyMaterial>
</sharedKey>
</security>
</MSM>
</WLANProfile>

Abhi

I found an answer to the below myself at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...51(VS.85).aspx.

But I have another question: can I use the same <keyMaterial> field
across several computers or will this be different for different
computers, i.e., will the network key be encrypted differently across
different computers?