Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Restaurant+asp.net+palmtop

Restaurant+asp.net+palmtop

Paulo

Hi, I finished a asp.net restaurant/bar system, but when the waiter clicks
"send itens" on IE palmtop, it needs to send the itens to a printer wich
will be on the kitchen... What is the best approach doing that? The pc on
kitchen should have a exe running in background that listens the itens wich
arrives on the database and prints it?

What you suggest? Thanks!

VS 2005 asp.net 2.0 C#

George Ter-Saakov

I suggest a small compact printer with print server port (sometimes called
ZEBRANET).
Like this one Zebra TLP2844
http://www.systemid.com/barcode_prin...ra_tlp2844.asp

Those printers support EPL or ZPL language. It's a simple language and you
do not need a driver for it.

Your ASP.NET application simply sends data via TCP/IP and printer prints....
No need to have computer on a kitchen. And you do not need separate exe
running in background..

You do not need a driver for those printers. They use EPL language which is
very easy language.
you basically send it commands like ^PO10,20^FSMy Name^XA
And it will print My Name position (10,20)

Below is the code to send bytes to TCP/IP printer.

George
public bool SendBytesToPrinter(byte[] p)

{

try

{

IPEndPoint ipEndPoint;

ipEndPoint = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse(_sName), 9100);

Socket socket;

using (socket = new Socket(

AddressFamily.InterNetwork,

SocketType.Stream,

ProtocolType.Tcp

))

{

socket.Connect(ipEndPoint);

socket.Send(p);

socket.Close();

}

return true;

}

catch (Exception e)

{

//TODO: do something with exception

return false;

}

}

"Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I finished a asp.net restaurant/bar system, but when the waiter clicks
> "send itens" on IE palmtop, it needs to send the itens to a printer wich
> will be on the kitchen... What is the best approach doing that? The pc on
> kitchen should have a exe running in background that listens the itens
> wich arrives on the database and prints it?
>
> What you suggest? Thanks!
>
> VS 2005 asp.net 2.0 C#

Paulo

Do I need a printer that have a ip address? and the asp.net will send data
to this ip ?

Thanks!
"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I suggest a small compact printer with print server port (sometimes called
>ZEBRANET).
> Like this one Zebra TLP2844
> http://www.systemid.com/barcode_prin...ra_tlp2844.asp
>
> Those printers support EPL or ZPL language. It's a simple language and you
> do not need a driver for it.
>

> Your ASP.NET application simply sends data via TCP/IP and printer
> prints....
> No need to have computer on a kitchen. And you do not need separate exe
> running in background..
>
> You do not need a driver for those printers. They use EPL language which
> is very easy language.
> you basically send it commands like ^PO10,20^FSMy Name^XA
> And it will print My Name position (10,20)
>

> Below is the code to send bytes to TCP/IP printer.
>
> George
> public bool SendBytesToPrinter(byte[] p)
>
> {
>
> try
>
> {
>
> IPEndPoint ipEndPoint;
>
> ipEndPoint = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse(_sName), 9100);
>
> Socket socket;
>
> using (socket = new Socket(
>
> AddressFamily.InterNetwork,
>
> SocketType.Stream,
>
> ProtocolType.Tcp
>
> ))
>
> {
>
> socket.Connect(ipEndPoint);
>
> socket.Send(p);
>
> socket.Close();
>
> }
>
> return true;
>
> }
>
> catch (Exception e)
>
> {
>
> //TODO: do something with exception
>
> return false;
>
> }
>
> }
>

> "Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I finished a asp.net restaurant/bar system, but when the waiter
>> clicks "send itens" on IE palmtop, it needs to send the itens to a
>> printer wich will be on the kitchen... What is the best approach doing
>> that? The pc on kitchen should have a exe running in background that
>> listens the itens wich arrives on the database and prints it?
>>
>> What you suggest? Thanks!
>>
>> VS 2005 asp.net 2.0 C#

George Ter-Saakov

Yes, otherwise how you going to connect to it? But you do not need a
computer.

Several options

1. You can buy a print server (they cost $20-$50)separatelly from printer
but then you will additional box and AC adapter. Or you can by the one that
is very small and do not need power (it takes it from printer port).
http://www.system3x.com/barcode_prin...i_--102286.asp

2. You can buy printer with already built in network interface.

George.

"Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:udg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do I need a printer that have a ip address? and the asp.net will send data
> to this ip ?
>
> Thanks!
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I suggest a small compact printer with print server port (sometimes called
>>ZEBRANET).
>> Like this one Zebra TLP2844
>> http://www.systemid.com/barcode_prin...ra_tlp2844.asp
>>
>> Those printers support EPL or ZPL language. It's a simple language and
>> you do not need a driver for it.
>>

>> Your ASP.NET application simply sends data via TCP/IP and printer
>> prints....
>> No need to have computer on a kitchen. And you do not need separate exe
>> running in background..
>>
>> You do not need a driver for those printers. They use EPL language which
>> is very easy language.
>> you basically send it commands like ^PO10,20^FSMy Name^XA
>> And it will print My Name position (10,20)
>>

>> Below is the code to send bytes to TCP/IP printer.
>>
>> George
>> public bool SendBytesToPrinter(byte[] p)
>>
>> {
>>
>> try
>>
>> {
>>
>> IPEndPoint ipEndPoint;
>>
>> ipEndPoint = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse(_sName), 9100);
>>
>> Socket socket;
>>
>> using (socket = new Socket(
>>
>> AddressFamily.InterNetwork,
>>
>> SocketType.Stream,
>>
>> ProtocolType.Tcp
>>
>> ))
>>
>> {
>>
>> socket.Connect(ipEndPoint);
>>
>> socket.Send(p);
>>
>> socket.Close();
>>
>> }
>>
>> return true;
>>
>> }
>>
>> catch (Exception e)
>>
>> {
>>
>> //TODO: do something with exception
>>
>> return false;
>>
>> }
>>
>> }
>>

>> "Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, I finished a asp.net restaurant/bar system, but when the waiter
>>> clicks "send itens" on IE palmtop, it needs to send the itens to a
>>> printer wich will be on the kitchen... What is the best approach doing
>>> that? The pc on kitchen should have a exe running in background that
>>> listens the itens wich arrives on the database and prints it?
>>>
>>> What you suggest? Thanks!
>>>
>>> VS 2005 asp.net 2.0 C#

Jeff Dillon

Where is the web server located? The printer could be attached to that
machine.