Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Quicktime and Windows XP Professional 64

Quicktime and Windows XP Professional 64

Max

Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
Professional XP 64. I have tried various methodist and it always says that
it was not installed properly and is unusable.

Carlos

Max,
This is what worked for me in Windows XP x64 and still works in Vista x64.
Install "Quicktime Alternative" from
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
This is not an Apple release but rather a freeware decoder.
After installing it on you will be able to view your *.mov videos by simply
dragging them on top of the WMP icon in the quicklaunch bar.
WMP may complain during the first startup about the filetype, click Ok, it
will acquire the codec (decoder in this case) and play your video file.

Carlos

"Max" wrote:

> Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
> Professional XP 64. I have tried various methodist and it always says that
> it was not installed properly and is unusable.

Jim

On May 23, 11:05*am, Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
> Professional XP 64. *I have tried various methodist and it always says that
> it was not installed properly and is unusable.

Max,

Apple is *not* going to fix Quicktime for x64. It does work fine in
Vista 64-bit. That was one of the reasons I upgraded.

Jim

Ron

Jim I can use Quicktime on Vista 64 bit but Quicktime does not show any
menus, such as volume control, pause button, stop button etc. It doesnt
matter if I resize my window....the bottom menu bar just isnt there.

Cheers

Ron

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 23, 11:05 am, Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
> Professional XP 64. I have tried various methodist and it always says that
> it was not installed properly and is unusable.

Max,

Apple is *not* going to fix Quicktime for x64. It does work fine in
Vista 64-bit. That was one of the reasons I upgraded.

Jim

Kathy T in MI

"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim I can use Quicktime on Vista 64 bit but Quicktime does not show any
> menus, such as volume control, pause button, stop button etc. It doesnt
> matter if I resize my window....the bottom menu bar just isnt there.
>
> Cheers
>
> Ron
> Jim

I am having the same problem, using Vista 64 and the latest Quicktime. I get
the little red x boxes and a dash after them. If I hover the mouse over
them, I get a little pop-up that at least tells me what the "button" is for,
and can click on it and get what I want. Inconvenient, but workable.
Kathy

Max

"Carlos" wrote:

> Max,
> This is what worked for me in Windows XP x64 and still works in Vista x64.
> Install "Quicktime Alternative" from
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
> This is not an Apple release but rather a freeware decoder.
> After installing it on you will be able to view your *.mov videos by simply
> dragging them on top of the WMP icon in the quicklaunch bar.
> WMP may complain during the first startup about the filetype, click Ok, it
> will acquire the codec (decoder in this case) and play your video file.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Max" wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
> > Professional XP 64. I have tried various methodist and it always says that
> > it was not installed properly and is unusable.

Thanks, Carlos,

I need Quicktime for use with Adobe Premiere and Sorenson Squeeze. I doubt
if these will work even if I upgrade to Vista 64. Do you know about that?

Thanks,

Max

Carlos

Max,
That's a question for Adobe (www.adobe.com) and Sorenson
(http://www.sorensonmedia.com/)
I was curious enough to check Sorenson and there is absolutely no indication
as to what Windows versions are supported.
They only mention "Windows".
Sorry that I can't help you this time.
Carlos

"Max" wrote:

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Max,
> > This is what worked for me in Windows XP x64 and still works in Vista x64.
> > Install "Quicktime Alternative" from
> > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
> > This is not an Apple release but rather a freeware decoder.
> > After installing it on you will be able to view your *.mov videos by simply
> > dragging them on top of the WMP icon in the quicklaunch bar.
> > WMP may complain during the first startup about the filetype, click Ok, it
> > will acquire the codec (decoder in this case) and play your video file.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Max" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
> > > Professional XP 64. I have tried various methodist and it always says that
> > > it was not installed properly and is unusable.

> Thanks, Carlos,
>
> I need Quicktime for use with Adobe Premiere and Sorenson Squeeze. I doubt
> if these will work even if I upgrade to Vista 64. Do you know about that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Max

Jim

On May 27, 12:14*pm, Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Is there anyway I can install Quicktime on my computer running Windows
> > > Professional XP 64. *I have tried various methodist and it always says that
> > > it was not installed properly and is unusable.

QuickTime 64-bit will *not* install correctly on x64, but it *will*
install on Vista 64-bit. Whether it works with Adobe Premiere I do
not know. I do know that Adobe does *not* guarantee 64-bit
compatibility for their products. They *will* guarantee it for the
next upgrade, however.

Jim

GeneralCody

The only workaround I've found to this Quicktime on Vista 64 is to run
the selected applications in compatibility mode with XPsp2 as the only
choice in the compatibility preferences. Lynda.com videos, Digital
Tutors and various others use QT to distribute their media. I actually
run the Firefox in XP SP2 executable in compatibility mode, to get the
controls for playing, pausing, rewinding etc.

Also I've set the actual Quicktime executable to also run in this mode.
You can't use Vista's extended UI feature ( Aero theme ) while the apps
are running, but thats no problem for me as I use a classic UI.
Vista will pop in and out of Aero as you launch in comp. mode, if you
insist on using it. Vista classic works fine but steals real estate and
looks bad....

--
GeneralCody
GeneralCody's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/generalcody.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

tingusa

I have installed Quicktime and I am editing with Vegas 9 (Quicktime
dependent) without any problems in Windows XP Professional 64 with the
latest service packs. Quicktime alternative did not work.

--
tingusa
tingusa's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/154791.htm