Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Redirecting to another IP does not work.

Redirecting to another IP does not work.

I_Am_The_Walrus

I hava a wireless home network which is connected using
a Siemens Gigaset SE567 wireless router.

When I load the main page, I have the ability to redirect
requests to any IP on my network. I have found that
I am not able to do so for some reason.
I have http running on port 80 on another machine
as well as ftp and ssh. I have registered my router's IP
address with dyndns so that I have a website name. But
when ever I attempt to execute a request to port 80,
I get the login screen for the modem. This
happens no matter what machine I am on at the time.
And from what I understand, those who attempt to access it
from outside my network get an "access denied" message or something
like that.

My question is, is there a way to make this work? I used to have
a comtrend DSL modem and a DLink wireless router. When I switched
over to a faster connection, my ISP provided me with this new
modem/wireless router box. But it seems that something is borked
and I have no idea. The help/docs for the box tell me that
I have done everything right. But obviously I have not.

I would appreciate any insight into this issue as my website
is now invisible to the outside world; by the time it's done
it's gonna be really purddy so I'd like for people to be able
to see it.

--
* I am the walrus. *
* RLU 451587 *

smlunatick

On May 22, 9:26*pm, I_Am_The_Walrus
<I_Am_The_Walrus@will_f_uup.invalid> wrote:
> I hava a wireless home network which is connected using
> a Siemens Gigaset SE567 wireless router.
>
> When I load the main page, I have the ability to redirect
> requests to any IP on my network. *I have found that
> I am not able to do so for some reason.
> I have http running on port 80 on another machine
> as well as ftp and ssh. *I have registered my router's IP
> address with dyndns so that I have a website name. *But
> when ever I attempt to execute a request to port 80,
> I get the login screen for the modem. *This
> happens no matter what machine I am on at the time.
> And from what I understand, those who attempt to access it
> from outside my network get an "access denied" message or something
> like that.
>
> My question is, is there a way to make this work? *I used to have
> a comtrend DSL modem and a DLink wireless router. *When I switched
> over to a faster connection, my ISP provided me with this new
> modem/wireless router box. *But it seems that something is borked
> and I have no idea. *The help/docs for the box tell me that
> I have done everything right. *But obviously I have not. *
>
> I would appreciate any insight into this issue as my website
> is now invisible to the outside world; by the time it's done
> it's gonna be really purddy so I'd like for people to be able
> to see it.
>
> --
> * I am the walrus. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
> * RLU 451587 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
> * Running Vista Ultimate SP1 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon * * * * * * * * **
> * Sea creatures unite and take back usenethttp://improve-usenet.org/*

Several routers automatically set port 80 to be used for the
management of the router's configuration, including remote (Interent)
access. You need to check in the router for remote management setting
and tell it to use a different port (like 8080?)

Adair Winter

"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Several routers automatically set port 80 to be used for the
management of the router's configuration, including remote (Interent)
access. You need to check in the router for remote management setting
and tell it to use a different port (like 8080?)

And alot of ISP block port 80 inbound on personal accounts so unless you are
on a business package that might be an issue aswell.

What are you typing in when you access your modems status page? The dyndns
url or the local machines ip address?

Adair