Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Film to digital conversion

Reply
Thread Tools

Film to digital conversion

 
 
Esteban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2008
Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
would someone please provide a link to the site.
I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
get involved with film at this point in time.
Thanks,
Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2008
On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:44:54 -0500, Esteban wrote:

> Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
> would someone please provide a link to the site. I have 4 bodys and many
> lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to get involved with
> film at this point in time. Thanks,
> Steve


search for something like 'digital back' - there used to be a few - quite
expensive, as I recall.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2008
In article <oPlZj.1352$(E-Mail Removed)>, Esteban
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
> would someone please provide a link to the site.
> I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
> get involved with film at this point in time.


not really. kodak used to buy canon and nikon bodies and retrofit them
with their own digital backs, but they were quite expensive. it's much
cheaper and far more practical to just get a new digital slr. you
don't say what brand camera, but chances are you can continue to use
your existing lenses with whatever camera you buy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Browne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2008
Esteban wrote:
> Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
> would someone please provide a link to the site.
> I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
> get involved with film at this point in time.


For medium format cameras (and large format) there are several digital
back vendors, but for the 35mm you're pretty much SOL.

What brand lenses? If they are AF Minolta, Pentax, Canon lenses then
you can use their digital bodies with those lenses.

If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
I'm not sure.

For just about all of the cameras above, early generation (5 - 8 Mpix)
should be available used for a very good price.

If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2008
In article <UXmZj.1719$(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
> every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
> use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.


kodak had a few nikon mount cameras too.

> I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
> I'm not sure.


pentax has one of the most compatible mounts. just about any pentax
lens will work on a pentax digital body, including screw mount lenses
(with an adapter).

> If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.


there's an adapter for olympus lenses to be used with a 4/3rds camera.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Browne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2008
nospam wrote:
> In article <UXmZj.1719$(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If they are manual Nikon, you can use their digital bodies with almost
>> every Nikkor made (a few exceptions or inconveniences). You can also
>> use FujiFilm S2 .. S5 bodies with most Nikkor lenses.

>
> kodak had a few nikon mount cameras too.
>
>> I believe some Pentax MF lenses can be used on Pentax bodies as well,
>> I'm not sure.

>
> pentax has one of the most compatible mounts. just about any pentax
> lens will work on a pentax digital body, including screw mount lenses
> (with an adapter).
>
>> If your lenses are Olympus, then you're SOL.

>
> there's an adapter for olympus lenses to be used with a 4/3rds camera.


Thanks for the necessary addendums and clarifications.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Esteban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2008
Thanks to all who responded.
The comments all made sense to me.
I'll be selling the Konica bodies and keeping the glass.
Steve

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48360f4a$0$12945$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am sure it would cost more than it was worth and you would end up
> with a poor camera. Save your money and buy one made from scratch.
>
> "Esteban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsPlZj.1352$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
>> would someone please provide a link to the site.
>> I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want
>> to get involved with film at this point in time.
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

>
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia 's Muire duit
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jürgen Exner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2008
"Esteban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital?


Film camera as in movie film or film camera as in plastic film coated
with chemicals?

> If so, would someone please provide a link to the site.


In the very early days there were digital backs for high-end SLRs.
_Very_ expensive. They still exist and are standard for e.g. Hasselblad
or Mamiya or similar cameras.

>I have 4 bodys and many lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to
>get involved with film at this point in time.


Unless those bodies are high-end Hasselblad, Mamiya, or similar your
best bet would be to get a digital body and just continue to use your
lenses if they are of decend quality. There have been quite a few
improvements over the past 10 years.

jue
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tesseract
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2008
Digital and Film give you about the same quality picture so your
switching to digital is mainly to save money. So don't start down that
road of spending more money to get into the digital market.
http://www.hyperphotocube.com/2008/0...s-digital.html

You can use film lenses on digital bodies all the time. I know that
older pentax, nikon, canon, and Minoltas (On Sony) can be used on
their present day digital cousins with few exceptions.
http://www.hyperphotocube.com/2008/0...ns-review.html

Converting is a wasted effort (and money). Getting a new digital
camera is going to be better i the long run.
Plus you can get really good digitals used now a days
http://www.hyperphotocube.com/2008/0...amera-bod.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2008
On May 22, 4:49 pm, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:44:54 -0500, Esteban wrote:
> > Is it possible to have a 35mm film camera converted to digital? If so,
> > would someone please provide a link to the site. I have 4 bodys and many
> > lenses that are not being used, and I don't want to get involved with
> > film at this point in time. Thanks,
> > Steve

>
> search for something like 'digital back' - there used to be a few - quite
> expensive, as I recall.


The only ones I know of never actually made it to market (at least the
35mm ones). To do it custom would cost far more than one can buy a
good DSLR for. It is a lot of work, lots of electronics not found in
the film cameras.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSLRs or Slide Film or Colour Negative Film? ;o) Sharp Shooter Digital Photography 10 06-22-2005 05:44 AM
Ultimate digital vs film: 1gp digital vs SR71 reconnaissance cameras brian Digital Photography 108 12-18-2004 10:01 PM
After having 8mm film reels digitally archived, film looks very grainy/ filled with static. Is this digital-looking noise normal? + more 8mm film questions Phil Edry Digital Photography 11 10-10-2004 11:57 PM
Digital camera versus Digital Film Scanner Mike Digital Photography 6 07-05-2004 06:06 PM
digital images: from film vs from digital camera H. S. Digital Photography 10 11-08-2003 06:52 PM



Advertisments