Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Client caching

Client caching

Pål Johansen

Is it possible to cache portions of a page client side.
I have som include pages that I would like to store at the clients cache.

Kevin Spencer

You can cache anything that is normally cached on the client, such as images
an other binaries, .js files, and cookies.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Complex things are made up of
lots of simple things.

"Pål Johansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to cache portions of a page client side.
> I have som include pages that I would like to store at the clients cache.

Pål Johansen

> In a sense, you don't.
True, and thats the problem.
It wont cache clock.js either, because after the server prosess that file it
will just be a part of the whole page.(clock.js is server side include)
So if one letter changed on the page the client will download all of the
page over again.(except the cached images) Even though clock.js is
unchanged.

But it wont cache
news:OwyI%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In a sense, you don't. The browser automatically caches such things. If

you
> make a change to the file on the server, the browser will download the
> latest version.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> .Net Developer
> http://www.takempis.com
> Complex things are made up of
> lots of simple things.
>
> "Pål Johansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes...but how do I control that.
> > Take this excample. Lets say I want to client side cache "clock.js" but

> not
> > the rest of the page.
> >
> > <form action="" method="post" name="clock" id="clock" >
> > <!--#include file="javaScripts/clock.js" -->
> > <!--#include virtual="/Mainpages/clock.html-->
> > </form>
> >
> > "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You can cache anything that is normally cached on the client, such as

> > images
> > > an other binaries, .js files, and cookies.
> > >
> > > --
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > Kevin Spencer
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > .Net Developer
> > > http://www.takempis.com
> > > Complex things are made up of
> > > lots of simple things.
> > >
> > > "Pål Johansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> > cache.

Pål Johansen

Thanx alot. Didn't know that.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It wont cache clock.js either, because after the server prosess that

file
> it
> > will just be a part of the whole page.(clock.js is server side include)

> If you use a server-side include that creates a script tag like the
> following, only a change in the "clock.js" file would cause the browser to
> re-download it:
>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="clock.js"></script>
>
> The reason is that the reference to the.js file is not changed when the

page
> it is in changes. It works just like an image tag. Putting an image tag

into
> a page that changes doesn't cause the browser to re-download the image

with