Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Home Lab

Re: Home Lab

Todd H.

jim <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> Am planning to setup a home lab for playing around with and getting a
> better understanding of security.... nothing professional - i scrounge
> a living from looking after small x86 Windows SOHOs... have currently
> got 1 x Win XP machine (Sempron 2600+) & one 1 x OpenSUSE/dualboot XP
> (p4 2.6)... I have a further 4 old PCs - 1GHz durons, 733 P3s,
> etc. but am thinking of dumping them and using VMWare... any thoughts,
> opinions, etc. appreciated...

Good, environmentally sound, fiscally appropriate plan if you ask me.
I've got more boxes than I want to hear or power, and would rather
have one beefier box with a bashitload of memory running lots of
vmware instances.

The ability to push virtual machines around to new hardware and such
is very handy.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/