Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Blank screen half the time after windows vista x64 loading bars

Blank screen half the time after windows vista x64 loading bars

Rob88

Half of the times I boot vista 64 bit up it is absolutley fine. The other
half is something which has very much plagued me for the last week and
beginning to stress me out a bit.

When it goes wrong:

All goes well and the vista login bars go by and then suddenly I get a black
screen then my monitor tells me it isn't connected to the PC. I'm running a
Palit 8800GT. I updated the drivers to old and new and still had this issue.
After about 10 seconds of this no connection the PC reboots and normally
this time it will load into vista just fine and tell me that it has had a
'bluescreen' problem with the following information:

BCCode: d1
BCP1: FFFFF9804C21C00C
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF98003D4B43E

I have tried reformating and reinstalling everything and still have the
issue. Does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks

Carlos

Rob,
First of all you have to think of all the changes you made these last 10
days that might have caused this issue.
From what you explain it seems that two weeks ago you had no problems, right?
If you made no hardware changes, a system restore might fix it.
If you made hardware changes...
Did you install the new Palit 8800GT by chance?
These cards require a PSU with dual 12 volt line.
It is not a problem of absolute power rating of the power supply but how it
is distributed along the different voltage outputs.
I had a similar, but not equal, issue with my newer XFX8800GT card and had
to do an upgrade (i.e. "buy") to my power supply.
Last but not least, undo any overclocking you may have introduced.

Carlos

"Rob88" wrote:

> Half of the times I boot vista 64 bit up it is absolutley fine. The other
> half is something which has very much plagued me for the last week and
> beginning to stress me out a bit.
>
> When it goes wrong:
>
> All goes well and the vista login bars go by and then suddenly I get a black
> screen then my monitor tells me it isn't connected to the PC. I'm running a
> Palit 8800GT. I updated the drivers to old and new and still had this issue.
> After about 10 seconds of this no connection the PC reboots and normally
> this time it will load into vista just fine and tell me that it has had a
> 'bluescreen' problem with the following information:
>
> BCCode: d1
> BCP1: FFFFF9804C21C00C
> BCP2: 0000000000000002
> BCP3: 0000000000000000
> BCP4: FFFFF98003D4B43E
>
> I have tried reformating and reinstalling everything and still have the
> issue. Does anyone know what it could be?
>
> Thanks

Rob88

Yes it was working 10 days ago with the 8800GT (not new) etc. However since
then I did change the PSU. I have tried system restore although the same
issue crops up after the restore.

I switched from an OCZ 600W (which broke) to a X-Power 580W I picked up,
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...23827&doy=21m5

I am not totally sure of the specs of it as to whether it meets the criteria
you state.

"Carlos" wrote:

> Rob,
> First of all you have to think of all the changes you made these last 10
> days that might have caused this issue.
> From what you explain it seems that two weeks ago you had no problems, right?
> If you made no hardware changes, a system restore might fix it.
> If you made hardware changes...
> Did you install the new Palit 8800GT by chance?
> These cards require a PSU with dual 12 volt line.
> It is not a problem of absolute power rating of the power supply but how it
> is distributed along the different voltage outputs.
> I had a similar, but not equal, issue with my newer XFX8800GT card and had
> to do an upgrade (i.e. "buy") to my power supply.
> Last but not least, undo any overclocking you may have introduced.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Rob88" wrote:
>
> > Half of the times I boot vista 64 bit up it is absolutley fine. The other
> > half is something which has very much plagued me for the last week and
> > beginning to stress me out a bit.
> >
> > When it goes wrong:
> >
> > All goes well and the vista login bars go by and then suddenly I get a black
> > screen then my monitor tells me it isn't connected to the PC. I'm running a
> > Palit 8800GT. I updated the drivers to old and new and still had this issue.
> > After about 10 seconds of this no connection the PC reboots and normally
> > this time it will load into vista just fine and tell me that it has had a
> > 'bluescreen' problem with the following information:
> >
> > BCCode: d1
> > BCP1: FFFFF9804C21C00C
> > BCP2: 0000000000000002
> > BCP3: 0000000000000000
> > BCP4: FFFFF98003D4B43E
> >
> > I have tried reformating and reinstalling everything and still have the
> > issue. Does anyone know what it could be?
> >
> > Thanks

Carlos

Rob,
If the problem showed up AFTER you replaced the faulty power supply, then it
is the possible root cause of the issue.
The specs on your referenced web site look good, but further investigation
led me t
http://www.xcase.co.uk/p/479055/x-po...rossfire-.html
which says that it has only one dedicated 12 volt connector and that is not
good.
When I bought my power supply I made sure that it had been tested with a
similar configuration to my PC successfully.
I may be wrong, but then again, if the issue showed up after installing this
power supply...

Carlos

"Rob88" wrote:

> Yes it was working 10 days ago with the 8800GT (not new) etc. However since
> then I did change the PSU. I have tried system restore although the same
> issue crops up after the restore.
>
> I switched from an OCZ 600W (which broke) to a X-Power 580W I picked up,
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...23827&doy=21m5
>
> I am not totally sure of the specs of it as to whether it meets the criteria
> you state.
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Rob,
> > First of all you have to think of all the changes you made these last 10
> > days that might have caused this issue.
> > From what you explain it seems that two weeks ago you had no problems, right?
> > If you made no hardware changes, a system restore might fix it.
> > If you made hardware changes...
> > Did you install the new Palit 8800GT by chance?
> > These cards require a PSU with dual 12 volt line.
> > It is not a problem of absolute power rating of the power supply but how it
> > is distributed along the different voltage outputs.
> > I had a similar, but not equal, issue with my newer XFX8800GT card and had
> > to do an upgrade (i.e. "buy") to my power supply.
> > Last but not least, undo any overclocking you may have introduced.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Rob88" wrote:
> >
> > > Half of the times I boot vista 64 bit up it is absolutley fine. The other
> > > half is something which has very much plagued me for the last week and
> > > beginning to stress me out a bit.
> > >
> > > When it goes wrong:
> > >
> > > All goes well and the vista login bars go by and then suddenly I get a black
> > > screen then my monitor tells me it isn't connected to the PC. I'm running a
> > > Palit 8800GT. I updated the drivers to old and new and still had this issue.
> > > After about 10 seconds of this no connection the PC reboots and normally
> > > this time it will load into vista just fine and tell me that it has had a
> > > 'bluescreen' problem with the following information:
> > >
> > > BCCode: d1
> > > BCP1: FFFFF9804C21C00C
> > > BCP2: 0000000000000002
> > > BCP3: 0000000000000000
> > > BCP4: FFFFF98003D4B43E
> > >
> > > I have tried reformating and reinstalling everything and still have the
> > > issue. Does anyone know what it could be?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Carlos

This is the PSU I am using:
http://www.vitsubagroup.com/prod_power7.htm
Carlos

"Rob88" wrote:

> Yes it was working 10 days ago with the 8800GT (not new) etc. However since
> then I did change the PSU. I have tried system restore although the same
> issue crops up after the restore.
>
> I switched from an OCZ 600W (which broke) to a X-Power 580W I picked up,
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...23827&doy=21m5
>
> I am not totally sure of the specs of it as to whether it meets the criteria
> you state.
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Rob,
> > First of all you have to think of all the changes you made these last 10
> > days that might have caused this issue.
> > From what you explain it seems that two weeks ago you had no problems, right?
> > If you made no hardware changes, a system restore might fix it.
> > If you made hardware changes...
> > Did you install the new Palit 8800GT by chance?
> > These cards require a PSU with dual 12 volt line.
> > It is not a problem of absolute power rating of the power supply but how it
> > is distributed along the different voltage outputs.
> > I had a similar, but not equal, issue with my newer XFX8800GT card and had
> > to do an upgrade (i.e. "buy") to my power supply.
> > Last but not least, undo any overclocking you may have introduced.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Rob88" wrote:
> >
> > > Half of the times I boot vista 64 bit up it is absolutley fine. The other
> > > half is something which has very much plagued me for the last week and
> > > beginning to stress me out a bit.
> > >
> > > When it goes wrong:
> > >
> > > All goes well and the vista login bars go by and then suddenly I get a black
> > > screen then my monitor tells me it isn't connected to the PC. I'm running a
> > > Palit 8800GT. I updated the drivers to old and new and still had this issue.
> > > After about 10 seconds of this no connection the PC reboots and normally
> > > this time it will load into vista just fine and tell me that it has had a
> > > 'bluescreen' problem with the following information:
> > >
> > > BCCode: d1
> > > BCP1: FFFFF9804C21C00C
> > > BCP2: 0000000000000002
> > > BCP3: 0000000000000000
> > > BCP4: FFFFF98003D4B43E
> > >
> > > I have tried reformating and reinstalling everything and still have the
> > > issue. Does anyone know what it could be?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Rob88

Ah cheers,

Would something like this
(http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-014-HP&tool=3) be
able to cut it? It looks pretty hefty as it can cut the latest 9800 GX2s and
EVGA 8800GTs...

"Carlos" wrote:

> This is the PSU I am using:
> http://www.vitsubagroup.com/prod_power7.htm
> Carlos
>
> "Rob88" wrote:
>
> > Yes it was working 10 days ago with the 8800GT (not new) etc. However since
> > then I did change the PSU. I have tried system restore although the same
> > issue crops up after the restore.
> >
> > I switched from an OCZ 600W (which broke) to a X-Power 580W I picked up,
> > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...23827&doy=21m5
> >
> > I am not totally sure of the specs of it as to whether it meets the criteria
> > you state.
> >

> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > Rob,
> > > First of all you have to think of all the changes you made these last 10
> > > days that might have caused this issue.
> > > From what you explain it seems that two weeks ago you had no problems, right?
> > > If you made no hardware changes, a system restore might fix it.
> > > If you made hardware changes...
> > > Did you install the new Palit 8800GT by chance?
> > > These cards require a PSU with dual 12 volt line.
> > > It is not a problem of absolute power rating of the power supply but how it
> > > is distributed along the different voltage outputs.
> > > I had a similar, but not equal, issue with my newer XFX8800GT card and had
> > > to do an upgrade (i.e. "buy") to my power supply.
> > > Last but not least, undo any overclocking you may have introduced.
> > >
> > > Carlos

Dominic Payer

http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/psu_x...80-580-680.htm should be
adequate as it has independent rails. It's the specs for your Maplin
supplied unit.

I have seen motherboards with a molex connector to provide additional power
for graphics cards. If yours has one, is it connected? Are you sure all your
power connectors are making good contact?

"Rob88" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah cheers,
>
> Would something like this
> (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-014-HP&tool=3) be
> able to cut it? It looks pretty hefty as it can cut the latest 9800 GX2s
> and
> EVGA 8800GTs...
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
>> This is the PSU I am using:
>> http://www.vitsubagroup.com/prod_power7.htm
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Rob88" wrote:
>>
>> > Yes it was working 10 days ago with the 8800GT (not new) etc. However
>> > since
>> > then I did change the PSU. I have tried system restore although the
>> > same
>> > issue crops up after the restore.
>> >
>> > I switched from an OCZ 600W (which broke) to a X-Power 580W I picked
>> > up,
>> > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...23827&doy=21m5
>> >
>> > I am not totally sure of the specs of it as to whether it meets the
>> > criteria
>> > you state.

Carlos

Rob,
That PSU looks great, though I not make myself liable for the 50 quid if it
still doesn't work, uh?

Carlos

"Rob88" wrote:

> Ah cheers,
>
> Would something like this
> (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-014-HP&tool=3) be
> able to cut it? It looks pretty hefty as it can cut the latest 9800 GX2s and
> EVGA 8800GTs...
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > This is the PSU I am using:
> > http://www.vitsubagroup.com/prod_power7.htm
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Rob88" wrote:
> >
> > > Yes it was working 10 days ago with the 8800GT (not new) etc. However since
> > > then I did change the PSU. I have tried system restore although the same
> > > issue crops up after the restore.
> > >
> > > I switched from an OCZ 600W (which broke) to a X-Power 580W I picked up,
> > > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...23827&doy=21m5
> > >
> > > I am not totally sure of the specs of it as to whether it meets the criteria
> > > you state.

Rob88

"Carlos" wrote:

> Rob,
> That PSU looks great, though I not make myself liable for the 50 quid if it
> still doesn't work, uh?
>
> Carlos
>
> "Rob88" wrote:
>
> > Ah cheers,
> >
> > Would something like this
> > (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-014-HP&tool=3) be
> > able to cut it? It looks pretty hefty as it can cut the latest 9800 GX2s and
> > EVGA 8800GTs...
> >
> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > This is the PSU I am using:
> > > http://www.vitsubagroup.com/prod_power7.htm
> > > Carlos

Rob88

Then again this psu,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-008-CS, looks
similar, same price and is branded. Choices...