Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying SDHC cards from eBay... how can I know which merchants are reliable? How to guard against fake cards?

Buying SDHC cards from eBay... how can I know which merchants are reliable? How to guard against fake cards?

Duncan H. Davies

I would like to buy a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card. I'm from Canada and
those capacities are very scarce in the stores here. Costs are high --
like $200 and over.

B&H sells the 16GB Ultra II card for $150, but the shipping costs are
exhorbitant, like $26 by UPS, and those UPS crooks will add maybe $50
for "customs brokerage".

So maybe eBay is the answer. On eBay, the 16 GB Ultra II cards go for
around $150 and less. Shipping is still high for something that
weights about as much as a fly, but it is less less, and USPS is
available... they don't levy brokerage fees.

But I've heard that fake cards are all over the place on eBay. How can
I tell which the fakes are?

Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?

Dunc

Dave Cohen

BobW wrote:
> "Duncan H. Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> [snip]
>
>> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
>>
>> Dunc

> You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
>
> Bob

To each his own. I don't know all the details of ebay. My son uses them
for everything. Sometimes he makes out sometimes he doesn't. Apparently
the people using it rate each other. Personally, my opinion of ebay is
shaded by the bad things I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere.
Obviously this is not the norm but why bother if you don't have to. The
op is basically concerned over shipping costs.
Amazon show this item via a reseller at a lower price than B&H. Amazon
are normally very good.
Dave Cohen

Jeannie

On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:21 GMT, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BobW wrote:
>> "Duncan H. Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
>>>
>>> Dunc

>> You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
>>
>> Bob

>To each his own. I don't know all the details of ebay. My son uses them
>for everything. Sometimes he makes out sometimes he doesn't. Apparently
>the people using it rate each other. Personally, my opinion of ebay is
>shaded by the bad things I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere.
>Obviously this is not the norm but why bother if you don't have to. The
>op is basically concerned over shipping costs.
>Amazon show this item via a reseller at a lower price than B&H. Amazon
>are normally very good.
>Dave Cohen

They aren't any good at all. Amazon.com won't ship SDHC cards to
Canada, and amazon.ca doesn't list them.

Dunc

Duncan H. Davies

On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:52:10 -0700, "BobW"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Duncan H. Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>[snip]
>

>> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
>>
>> Dunc

>You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
>
>Bob

Do you know which merchants on eBay offer authentic cards? If not,
your reply is off-topic.

Dunc

Jufi

Of all the things you can buy on eBay, memory cards are probably the one
item where you're more than likely to get a fake. Pay B&H, get the real
thing, and avoid eBay. It used to be a decent service, but it's really sunk
low lately.

Duncan H. Davies

On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:03:49 -0700, "BobW"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Duncan H. Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:52:10 -0700, "BobW"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"Duncan H. Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>>[snip]

>>>You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.
>>>
>>>Bob

>> Do you know which merchants on eBay offer authentic cards? If not,
>> your reply is off-topic.
>>
>> Dunc

>Duncan,
>
>How will you know that any reseller ships authentic cards?
>
>You just need to learn how eBay works -- specifically the Feedback Forum --
>and then you can answer your own questions. Do the work.

I already know how eBay works, thank you. My question was how to know
which merchants ship authentic memory cards, not how eBay works. .

Your response implies that a fake card can be recognized immediately
once received, prompting negative feedback, but that is not something
that is known to me.

Dunc

Jfixit

Jufi wrote:
> Of all the things you can buy on eBay, memory cards are probably the one
> item where you're more than likely to get a fake. Pay B&H, get the real
> thing, and avoid eBay. It used to be a decent service, but it's really
> sunk low lately.

right now Sandisk is offering a very good rebate .BUT you have to
buy the item from one of the retailers listed on the rebate form. I
use Beach cam/BuyDig .com.Seeing i live in NYS i don't have to pay the
tax from a retailer in NJ

Frank Arthur

Many cards from Ebay are Sandisk forgeries. Try asking the seller to
guarantee that the card is legitimate and suppl.ied directly from
Sandisk USA or Canada.

"Duncan H. Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to buy a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card. I'm from Canada and
> those capacities are very scarce in the stores here. Costs are
> high --
> like $200 and over.
>
> B&H sells the 16GB Ultra II card for $150, but the shipping costs
> are
> exhorbitant, like $26 by UPS, and those UPS crooks will add maybe
> $50
> for "customs brokerage".
>
> So maybe eBay is the answer. On eBay, the 16 GB Ultra II cards go
> for
> around $150 and less. Shipping is still high for something that
> weights about as much as a fly, but it is less less, and USPS is
> available... they don't levy brokerage fees.
>
> But I've heard that fake cards are all over the place on eBay. How
> can
> I tell which the fakes are?
>
> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
>
> Dunc

Ray Paseur

> Many cards from Ebay are Sandisk forgeries. <snip>

>I would like to buy a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card. I'm from Canada <snip>

FWIW, I have bought counterfeit Sandisk CF cards on eBay. They work fine -
sometimes a little slow or not quite up to rated storage capacity, but I
have never lost an image. Never.

Can't tell you that you will have an equivalent experience, but you should
look at the feedback and see what the vendors are selling. If you have
more than one or two negatives over the SDHC cards, beware. If they do not
read and write gramatically good englisch, beware. If they have high
shipping charges (not refundable) beware. If they sell SDHC cards and
other camera components at ridiculously low prices, beware. Those would be
the things that would seem to distinguish a less-than-perfect operation.

Maybe you could become the Canadian Sandisk distributor?!

Good luck! ~Ray

Jeff R.

"BobW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Duncan H. Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> [snip]
>

>> Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?
>>
>> Dunc

> You shouldn't be using eBay until you understand how it works.

Yes.
Its just like sex.
You shouldn't have sex until you are perfect at it.

Makes sense.

--
Jeff R.