Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewfinders on DSLR's

Viewfinders on DSLR's

m II

Jeff R. wrote:

> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g12mf1$ms9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> The term SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. A single lens, vs.
>> separate picture and viewfinder lenses as found on most P&S
>> (particularly film P&S) or rangefinder cameras. "Reflex" refers to
>> the action of flipping the mirror out of the way to to allow the light
>> through to the imaging device (be it film or digital sensor).

> Does it?
> What then, does "reflex" mean in a TLR camera, such as the Rollei or
> Mamiya?
>
> Isn't it the *presence* of the mirror (disregard pentaprisms here)
> rather than the action of flipping it?

It is. The twin lens reflex mirror doesn't move. I suspect 'reflex' is a
mutation of 'reflects' or some such. That is just a guess but there may
be something to it.

mike

Jeff R.

"m II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%E7Zj.3517$Yp.1727@edtnps92...
> Jeff R. wrote:
>>
>> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:g12mf1$ms9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> The term SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. A single lens, vs.
>>> separate picture and viewfinder lenses as found on most P&S
>>> (particularly film P&S) or rangefinder cameras. "Reflex" refers to
>>> the action of flipping the mirror out of the way to to allow the light
>>> through to the imaging device (be it film or digital sensor).

>> Does it?
>> What then, does "reflex" mean in a TLR camera, such as the Rollei or
>> Mamiya?
>>
>> Isn't it the *presence* of the mirror (disregard pentaprisms here)
>> rather than the action of flipping it?

> It is. The twin lens reflex mirror doesn't move. I suspect 'reflex' is a
> mutation of 'reflects' or some such. That is just a guess but there may
> be something to it.
>

> mike

Apologies.
I was being deliberately obtuse.

The "reflex" does indeed refer to the the action of reflecting the light up
onto the ground glass viewfinder. Same in both configurations, SLR & TLR.

--
Jeff R.

David J Taylor

Alfred Molon wrote:
[]
>>> What is Depth of field preview ?

[]
> Oops... and there are DSLRs which cannot do this? I thought it's a
> basic feature of DSLRs that they will show you in the viewfinder what
> is in focus and what is not in focus. How else otherwise could you
> creatively compose the shot by choosing the right amount of
> background blur?
>
> I'm starting to think that the only DSLRs with a usable optical
> viewfinder are the expensive ones. The ones I might buy (Sony 350 or
> Pentax K20D) have pretty pathetic viewfinders.

When you can just look at the shot moments after taking on the LCD at the
back, real-time DoF preview become slightly less useful so, yes, horror of
horrors, it is omitted from some cameras.

I compared the viewfinders of the DSLR brands I was considering when I
bought my first one, and concluded that Nikon was slightly better than
Canon in showing a bright image. They are both /way/ better than any
compact camera I have used in terms of image quality, although they lack
the "gain-up" feature of some compact cameras which can help for extreme
night-time shots.

Yes, if you pay more you may get a better viewfinder, but even that of the
Nikon D40 is eminently usable. Try looking through the viewfinders for
yourself.

Cheers,
David

Jeff R.

"Yoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:483560bc$0$12915$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4834ef1c$0$30465$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>
>> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:g12mf1$ms9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> The term SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. A single lens, vs. separate
>>> picture and viewfinder lenses as found on most P&S (particularly film
>>> P&S) or rangefinder cameras. "Reflex" refers to the action of flipping
>>> the mirror out of the way to to allow the light through to the imaging
>>> device (be it film or digital sensor).

>> Does it?
>> What then, does "reflex" mean in a TLR camera, such as the Rollei or
>> Mamiya?
>>
>> Isn't it the *presence* of the mirror (disregard pentaprisms here) rather
>> than the action of flipping it?
>>
>> --
>> Jeff R.

> Geeeze... go buy a book on photography and read it. All these noob
> questions are annoying.

Sure.
But first - *you* buy a newbie book on USENET and read it. Idiot!

--
Jeff R.

tomm42

On May 22, 5:22 am, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <U49Zj.7488$(E-Mail Removed)>, David J
> Taylor says...
>
> > Yes, if you pay more you may get a better viewfinder, but even that of the
> > Nikon D40 is eminently usable. Try looking through the viewfinders for
> > yourself.

> I remember briefly using a couple of years ago a Nikon D70. And wow,
> what a viewfinder.
> Recently I checked instead the Sony 350 and the Pentax K20D and was very
> unimpressed. It's good that these two cameras come with live preview, so
> you can use that for framing.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

tomm42

On May 22, 5:22 am, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <U49Zj.7488$(E-Mail Removed)>, David J
> Taylor says...
>
> > Yes, if you pay more you may get a better viewfinder, but even that of the
> > Nikon D40 is eminently usable. Try looking through the viewfinders for
> > yourself.

> I remember briefly using a couple of years ago a Nikon D70. And wow,
> what a viewfinder.
> Recently I checked instead the Sony 350 and the Pentax K20D and was very
> unimpressed. It's good that these two cameras come with live preview, so
> you can use that for framing.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Sorry to double post.
I have a d70 at work, and a d200 (own a d200 too). The D200 viewfinder
is so much better than the D70s it isn't funny. The other photographer
here has a K10D and says the same about its viewfinder, much better
than the d70. Could be you were looking through an f2.8 lens on the
D70 and an f5.6 on the Sony and Pentax, or was your lighting
different. What is true is that the viewfinder on the d200 and d80
(same mirror box) are 95% viewfinders and the focusing screen isn't
very textured making manual focusing a bit of a challenge, especially
with wide angles. I use mostly macro/micro lenses on the cameras,
focusing at 1:1 with the D200 is so much easier than with the d70.

Tom

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On May 21, 10:57 pm, "Jeff R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:g12mf1$ms9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > The term SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. A single lens, vs. separate
> > picture and viewfinder lenses as found on most P&S (particularly film P&S)
> > or rangefinder cameras. "Reflex" refers to the action of flipping the
> > mirror out of the way to to allow the light through to the imaging device
> > (be it film or digital sensor).

> Does it?
> What then, does "reflex" mean in a TLR camera, such as the Rollei or Mamiya?
>
> Isn't it the *presence* of the mirror (disregard pentaprisms here) rather
> than the action of flipping it?
>
> --
> Jeff R.

The mirror itself is what gives it the "reflex" name. For instance, a
Twin Lens Reflex has a mirror in the viewing system, but the mirror
does not move. Think reflex = reflection.

The reflection can also be accomplished by a prism, which acts like a
series of mirrors.

m II

Jeff R. wrote:

> Apologies.
> I was being deliberately obtuse.

Obtuse? Wouldn't that depend on the angle of the 'reflex' ?

mike

Matt Ion

Jeff R. wrote:

> "m II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%E7Zj.3517$Yp.1727@edtnps92...
>> Jeff R. wrote:
>>>
>>> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:g12mf1$ms9$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Does it?
>>> What then, does "reflex" mean in a TLR camera, such as the Rollei or
>>> Mamiya?
>>>
>>> Isn't it the *presence* of the mirror (disregard pentaprisms here)
>>> rather than the action of flipping it?

>> It is. The twin lens reflex mirror doesn't move. I suspect 'reflex' is a
>> mutation of 'reflects' or some such. That is just a guess but there may
>> be something to it.
>>

>> mike

> Apologies.
> I was being deliberately obtuse.
>
> The "reflex" does indeed refer to the the action of reflecting the light
> up onto the ground glass viewfinder. Same in both configurations, SLR &
> TLR.

You're correct.

The point remains, it's the mirror that makes an SLR, not the presence
of advanced user controls.

me@mine.net

On Thu, 22 May 2008 07:16:04 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J
Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
wrote:

>I compared the viewfinders of the DSLR brands I was considering when I
>bought my first one, and concluded that Nikon was slightly better than
>Canon in showing a bright image. They are both /way/ better than any
>compact camera I have used in terms of image quality, although they lack
>the "gain-up" feature of some compact cameras which can help for extreme
>night-time shots.
>
>Yes, if you pay more you may get a better viewfinder, but even that of the
>Nikon D40 is eminently usable. Try looking through the viewfinders for
>yourself.

? The D40 has autoiso. See p.76 of the fine manual, Custom Setting 10.