Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > AJAX postback question

Reply
Thread Tools

AJAX postback question

 
 
Cirene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2008
I have a simple page - 2 dropdowns, 2 textboxes. 1 set of dropdown/textbox
is in the updatepanel. 1 set of dropdown/textbox is not. When I select a
dropdown the textbox is updated with teh value.

Why is it that the updatepanel one still seems to "flicker" on postback? I
would think that because I have it in an updatepanel taht it wouldn't.
(Yes, I have scriptmanager before it.)

Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bruce barker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2008
the update panel replaces all the html in the panel with what is sent back
from the server. The browser makes an attempt to compare and reduce the
flicker, but is not always sucessful.

I would not use an update panel for something as trival as reloading a
dropdown. use a simple ajax callback. you shoudl also disable the dropdown
while waiting for the async return. to see why, in the dropdown hit the
up/down arrows, you site will probably error out.


-- bruce (sqlwork.com)


"Cirene" wrote:

> I have a simple page - 2 dropdowns, 2 textboxes. 1 set of dropdown/textbox
> is in the updatepanel. 1 set of dropdown/textbox is not. When I select a
> dropdown the textbox is updated with teh value.
>
> Why is it that the updatepanel one still seems to "flicker" on postback? I
> would think that because I have it in an updatepanel taht it wouldn't.
> (Yes, I have scriptmanager before it.)
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cirene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2008
Thanks. What do you mean by a "simple ajax callback"?

"bruce barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the update panel replaces all the html in the panel with what is sent back
> from the server. The browser makes an attempt to compare and reduce the
> flicker, but is not always sucessful.
>
> I would not use an update panel for something as trival as reloading a
> dropdown. use a simple ajax callback. you shoudl also disable the dropdown
> while waiting for the async return. to see why, in the dropdown hit the
> up/down arrows, you site will probably error out.
>
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
>
> "Cirene" wrote:
>
>> I have a simple page - 2 dropdowns, 2 textboxes. 1 set of
>> dropdown/textbox
>> is in the updatepanel. 1 set of dropdown/textbox is not. When I select
>> a
>> dropdown the textbox is updated with teh value.
>>
>> Why is it that the updatepanel one still seems to "flicker" on postback?
>> I
>> would think that because I have it in an updatepanel taht it wouldn't.
>> (Yes, I have scriptmanager before it.)
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
bruce barker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2008
you can make a webservice call from javascript. if you are just setting a
value in the textbox based on the dropdrown, you might be able to just use
javascript and no ajax.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)


"Cirene" wrote:

> Thanks. What do you mean by a "simple ajax callback"?
>
> "bruce barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > the update panel replaces all the html in the panel with what is sent back
> > from the server. The browser makes an attempt to compare and reduce the
> > flicker, but is not always sucessful.
> >
> > I would not use an update panel for something as trival as reloading a
> > dropdown. use a simple ajax callback. you shoudl also disable the dropdown
> > while waiting for the async return. to see why, in the dropdown hit the
> > up/down arrows, you site will probably error out.
> >
> >
> > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
> >
> >
> > "Cirene" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a simple page - 2 dropdowns, 2 textboxes. 1 set of
> >> dropdown/textbox
> >> is in the updatepanel. 1 set of dropdown/textbox is not. When I select
> >> a
> >> dropdown the textbox is updated with teh value.
> >>
> >> Why is it that the updatepanel one still seems to "flicker" on postback?
> >> I
> >> would think that because I have it in an updatepanel taht it wouldn't.
> >> (Yes, I have scriptmanager before it.)
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
postback question with 2 dropdownlist and AJAX ton ASP .Net 0 04-22-2009 03:44 PM
AJAX Treeview How to keep expanded nodes expanded during AJAX postback ton ASP .Net 2 12-10-2008 04:11 PM
AJAX IDE and AJAX TOOL--The Release of JoyiStar AJAX WebShop 3 Beta minnie Java 1 12-13-2006 06:29 AM
Postback not being set to True on first postback =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZA==?= ASP .Net 2 04-04-2005 06:17 PM
effecting postback without auto postback controls Psych971 ASP .Net 5 12-17-2004 08:53 PM



Advertisments