Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Site Skinning

Site Skinning

damiensawyer@yahoo.com.au

Hi,

I'm currently in the planning stages for a reasonably large commercial
site using framework 3.5. One of the requirements is that the
application be rebadged under multiple company names with different
designs/graphics, URLs, 'altered funtionality' etc.

After a bit of thinking, I've come up with an idea but I'd like to get
opinions on it before proceeding. This project is very much commercial
grade and needs to be highly scalable - so, if something I'm thinking
of doing is not best-practice please let me know!

1/ Use pure CSS as opposed to themes/skins. When I look at
http://www.csszengarden.com, I can see that there's enough power in
CSS to achieve the look and feel differences. I've read a few threads
on CSS v Themes and see that it's a bit of a contentious issue,
however think that CSS should be able to do the job with the least
effort.

2/ Have a different CSS file for each company/URL then use HTTP
handlers to intercept calls for *.css and programatically return the
desired sheet. One (newbie!) question that I have here - Is it an
easy matter to set up IIS / Server 2008 to serve the same web
application simultaneously to multiple (potentially many) URLs and
identify the active address in a HTTP handler?

Also - if there's any books/articles on this topic that people can
recommend, I'm all ears.

Thanks very much in advance,

Damien

gerry

use themes that only use .css files - you don't have to use skins just
because you are using themes.

this allows you to just set the theme with no need to mess with custom
handlers etc.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently in the planning stages for a reasonably large commercial
> site using framework 3.5. One of the requirements is that the
> application be rebadged under multiple company names with different
> designs/graphics, URLs, 'altered funtionality' etc.
>
> After a bit of thinking, I've come up with an idea but I'd like to get
> opinions on it before proceeding. This project is very much commercial
> grade and needs to be highly scalable - so, if something I'm thinking
> of doing is not best-practice please let me know!
>
> 1/ Use pure CSS as opposed to themes/skins. When I look at
> http://www.csszengarden.com, I can see that there's enough power in
> CSS to achieve the look and feel differences. I've read a few threads
> on CSS v Themes and see that it's a bit of a contentious issue,
> however think that CSS should be able to do the job with the least
> effort.
>
> 2/ Have a different CSS file for each company/URL then use HTTP
> handlers to intercept calls for *.css and programatically return the
> desired sheet. One (newbie!) question that I have here - Is it an
> easy matter to set up IIS / Server 2008 to serve the same web
> application simultaneously to multiple (potentially many) URLs and
> identify the active address in a HTTP handler?
>
> Also - if there's any books/articles on this topic that people can
> recommend, I'm all ears.
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>

> Damien

Skinning scalability John Smith ASP .Net 0 11-23-2006 03:50 AM
Skinning CommandField JJ ASP .Net 2 11-22-2006 08:09 PM
Skinning Again: Which is best, jXUL, XUL, or what? Thomas G. Marshall Java 15 02-17-2004 03:32 PM
Skinning a site using Dreamweaver HTML 3 01-03-2004 07:52 PM
Application skinning PERCIVAL BRAGG Java 4 07-09-2003 03:00 PM

Advertisments