Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is Vista x64 supported as a hyper-v guest yet?

Is Vista x64 supported as a hyper-v guest yet?

Gary J. DIkkema

Thought I saw some new software drops the past week; perhaps it was only for
allowing Vista X64 to manage Hyper-V.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, it isn't a supported guest yet. (It works, just no Integration
Components, so you need to choose a Legacy NIC.)

It does work as a management machine.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thought I saw some new software drops the past week; perhaps it was only
> for allowing Vista X64 to manage Hyper-V.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks!

Gary J. DIkkema

Thanks Charlie... done that! However without integration, the box is SLOW as
molasses. Unlike the supported x86 box which is fleet and nimble...

Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, it isn't a supported guest yet. (It works, just no Integration
> Components, so you need to choose a Legacy NIC.)
>
> It does work as a management machine.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thought I saw some new software drops the past week; perhaps it was only
>> for allowing Vista X64 to manage Hyper-V.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>
>> Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

I didn't find it all that bad. Throw an extra proc at it, and give it some
more RAM. Not sure what you had it set for, but on my VM with 2 procs and 2
GB of RAM, it runs decent. I admit, I'm not using it for any sort of
production work, it's just a test box, so I really wouldn't notice if it is
a bit slow.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Charlie... done that! However without integration, the box is SLOW
> as molasses. Unlike the supported x86 box which is fleet and nimble...
>
> Thanks.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, it isn't a supported guest yet. (It works, just no Integration
>> Components, so you need to choose a Legacy NIC.)
>>
>> It does work as a management machine.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thought I saw some new software drops the past week; perhaps it was only
>>> for allowing Vista X64 to manage Hyper-V.
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Gary J. DIkkema

Had it with 1 Gig and 1 proc Charlie...

The test bed has 8 GB of ram so I could try it with double.

Thanks!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I didn't find it all that bad. Throw an extra proc at it, and give it some
>more RAM. Not sure what you had it set for, but on my VM with 2 procs and 2
>GB of RAM, it runs decent. I admit, I'm not using it for any sort of
>production work, it's just a test box, so I really wouldn't notice if it is
>a bit slow.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Charlie... done that! However without integration, the box is SLOW
>> as molasses. Unlike the supported x86 box which is fleet and nimble...
>>
>> Thanks.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No, it isn't a supported guest yet. (It works, just no Integration
>>> Components, so you need to choose a Legacy NIC.)
>>>
>>> It does work as a management machine.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Gary J. DIkkema

Charlie,

Had planned to run Core but couldn't find the nice stuff, like how to set up
the virtual guests... in the end I figured WTF, I'm a Windows kind of guy.
After a day of this I thought I needed a life... without the stress. <VBG>

If however, you happen to stroll across some info that I could use, please
do pass it along.

Thanks again!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I didn't find it all that bad. Throw an extra proc at it, and give it some
>more RAM. Not sure what you had it set for, but on my VM with 2 procs and 2
>GB of RAM, it runs decent. I admit, I'm not using it for any sort of
>production work, it's just a test box, so I really wouldn't notice if it is
>a bit slow.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Charlie... done that! However without integration, the box is SLOW
>> as molasses. Unlike the supported x86 box which is fleet and nimble...
>>
>> Thanks.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No, it isn't a supported guest yet. (It works, just no Integration
>>> Components, so you need to choose a Legacy NIC.)
>>>
>>> It does work as a management machine.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

I have a whole series of scripts that set up a Core machine. They're
included in my Server 2008 Administrator's Companion book, from MS Press.
They do the full setup of a core machine to be a remote office RODC with
DNS, DHCP, etc, and set up remote administration. With comments so you can
see what you need and what you don't.

All configuration of Hyper-V itself, on Core, is done from the remote
Hyper-V Manager running on another machine. (I run it from Vista 64 on my
main workstation. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie,
>
> Had planned to run Core but couldn't find the nice stuff, like how to set
> up the virtual guests... in the end I figured WTF, I'm a Windows kind of
> guy. After a day of this I thought I needed a life... without the stress.
> <VBG>
>
> If however, you happen to stroll across some info that I could use, please
> do pass it along.
>
> Thanks again!

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I didn't find it all that bad. Throw an extra proc at it, and give it some
>>more RAM. Not sure what you had it set for, but on my VM with 2 procs and
>>2 GB of RAM, it runs decent. I admit, I'm not using it for any sort of
>>production work, it's just a test box, so I really wouldn't notice if it
>>is a bit slow.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Charlie... done that! However without integration, the box is
>>> SLOW as molasses. Unlike the supported x86 box which is fleet and
>>> nimble...
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

1 GB is starving for a Vista machine, and on a VM where it's running without
ICs, it's going to be pretty slow.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Had it with 1 Gig and 1 proc Charlie...
>
> The test bed has 8 GB of ram so I could try it with double.
>
> Thanks!

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I didn't find it all that bad. Throw an extra proc at it, and give it some
>>more RAM. Not sure what you had it set for, but on my VM with 2 procs and
>>2 GB of RAM, it runs decent. I admit, I'm not using it for any sort of
>>production work, it's just a test box, so I really wouldn't notice if it
>>is a bit slow.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Charlie... done that! However without integration, the box is
>>> SLOW as molasses. Unlike the supported x86 box which is fleet and
>>> nimble...
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Gary J. DIkkema

Looks like I need another of your fine books. <VBG> Can I get mine
autographed?

Amazon.ca here I come...

Regards!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a whole series of scripts that set up a Core machine. They're
>included in my Server 2008 Administrator's Companion book, from MS Press.
>They do the full setup of a core machine to be a remote office RODC with
>DNS, DHCP, etc, and set up remote administration. With comments so you can
>see what you need and what you don't.
>
> All configuration of Hyper-V itself, on Core, is done from the remote
> Hyper-V Manager running on another machine. (I run it from Vista 64 on my
> main workstation. )
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charlie,
>>
>> Had planned to run Core but couldn't find the nice stuff, like how to set
>> up the virtual guests... in the end I figured WTF, I'm a Windows kind of
>> guy. After a day of this I thought I needed a life... without the stress.
>> <VBG>
>>
>> If however, you happen to stroll across some info that I could use,
>> please do pass it along.
>>
>> Thanks again!

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I didn't find it all that bad. Throw an extra proc at it, and give it
>>>some more RAM. Not sure what you had it set for, but on my VM with 2
>>>procs and 2 GB of RAM, it runs decent. I admit, I'm not using it for any
>>>sort of production work, it's just a test box, so I really wouldn't
>>>notice if it is a bit slow.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Gary J. DIkkema" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Gary J. DIkkema

So for comparison...

I have x64 and x86 Vista boxes running under Hyper-V...

x86 footprint ~ 350 K, x64 is double

x86 has IC and is quick and nimble even with 1 GB memory and 1 processor.
x64 has no IC and is slow with 2 GB of memory and TWO processors...

What does that tell you?

Where the heck is Microsoft's support for x64?

Regards.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...