Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop keeps grabbing wrong wireless network

Laptop keeps grabbing wrong wireless network

Daisy

My boss' laptop keeps grabbing the public library's unsecured wireless
network instead of our network. I've moved our network to the top of the list
of selections and the library's way down, but it keeps happening. Any
suggestions?

Pavel A.

"Daisy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My boss' laptop keeps grabbing the public library's unsecured wireless
> network instead of our network. I've moved our network to the top of the
> list
> of selections and the library's way down, but it keeps happening. Any
> suggestions?

Delete the library network from the list of selections.

--PA

Lem

Pavel A. wrote:
> "Daisy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My boss' laptop keeps grabbing the public library's unsecured wireless
>> network instead of our network. I've moved our network to the top of
>> the list
>> of selections and the library's way down, but it keeps happening. Any
>> suggestions?

> Delete the library network from the list of selections.
>
> --PA

And tell your boss to *NOT* connect to it (or any other network) if he
happens to see it by opening "View Available Wireless Networks."

Whenever you connect to a wireless network from the View Available
screen, the SSID of that network gets placed at the top of the list of
preferred networks.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Daisy

Didn't realize I could delete the library's network! Thanks for the help!

"Pavel A." wrote:

> "Daisy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My boss' laptop keeps grabbing the public library's unsecured wireless
> > network instead of our network. I've moved our network to the top of the
> > list
> > of selections and the library's way down, but it keeps happening. Any
> > suggestions?

> Delete the library network from the list of selections.
>
> --PA

Drew Tick

You should try a product called AirStop. It forces connection only to adminstrator defined wireless networks, and prevents connection to unauthorized networks. Just Google "AirStop Wireless Software" and you should be able to download a copy. Good Luck - Drew