Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WG311v2 Installation

WG311v2 Installation

Virgin

I am trying to install a WG311 v2 (Netgear) PCI card in to my PC.
I install the software (that supplied and the updated version from their
website) and at the end I get a message regarding disabling the WinXP config
utility in order to use the Netgear one, clicking either 'Yes' or 'No'
causes the system to hang briefly before re-booting and telling me that
there was an error, I also get the config disable box again.

The PC is brand new running WinXP but the PCI card is about a year old (I
bought it for my previous machine but that had a config issue).

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where the problem lies? with the PC
or the card (bearing in mind that I have never seen the card working)?

I have raised it with the PC manufacturer (so far they have not been able to
solve it) and with Netgear (I am awaiting their response)

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Alan Muller [MSFT]

To make sure it is not the windows service causing the conflict, you can try
to disable the windows service first before trying to install your card.

To disable the service through the UI:

- click start
- click control panel
- click "switch to classical view" in the top left of the control panel.
(If it is not there then you can ignore this step.)
- find the "network connections" icon and double click on it to open the
network connections folder.
- locate the icon for the wireless connection (If it is not there, then skip
the rest of this. The service will need to be disabled from the command
line.)
- right click on the wireless connection icon
- select properties
- in the properties window that pops up, select "Wireless Networks"
- uncheck the checkbox labeled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
settings."
- click "OK"

If you need to disable the service from the command line, use the following
command:

net stop wzcsvc

Once the service has been disabled try installing the card. If the problem
persists, then the problem is most likely with the PCI card driver or even
the card itself. In this case, contact Netgear for help.

--
Alan Muller
Software Design Engineer in Test

purposes only.