Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > image manipulation package?

image manipulation package?

Dundonald

Hi,

can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
text to certain image templates? Without going in to too much detail
(and boring you) I have a small number of image templates, for example
a business card being one of them, that I wish to allow users to enter
their details on a form and then I want to add those details to my
business card template image at set positions per field then render
the updated image for the user to download or print.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

viv

On May 19, 10:39*pm, Dundonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
> text to certain image templates? *Without going in to too much detail
> (and boring you) I have a small number of image templates, for example
> a business card being one of them, that I wish to allow users to enter
> their details on a form and then I want to add those details to my
> business card template image at set positions per field then render
> the updated image for the user to download or print.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
text on these images.

Hope this helps,

Vivien Barousse

Dundonald

On 19 May, 21:54, viv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 19, 10:39 pm, Dundonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
> > text to certain image templates? Without going in to too much detail
> > (and boring you) I have a small number of image templates, for example
> > a business card being one of them, that I wish to allow users to enter
> > their details on a form and then I want to add those details to my
> > business card template image at set positions per field then render
> > the updated image for the user to download or print.

> > Any ideas please?

> > Thanks

> Hi,
>
> Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
> class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
> to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
> text on these images.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Vivien Barousse

Vivien I've never had reason to do image manipulation so thanks for
pointing the tinned up package, I'll check it. I'll report back for
completeness.

In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.

Thanks

Daniel Pitts

Dundonald wrote:
> On 19 May, 21:54, viv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On May 19, 10:39 pm, Dundonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
>>> text to certain image templates? Without going in to too much detail
>>> (and boring you) I have a small number of image templates, for example
>>> a business card being one of them, that I wish to allow users to enter
>>> their details on a form and then I want to add those details to my
>>> business card template image at set positions per field then render
>>> the updated image for the user to download or print.
>>> Any ideas please?
>>> Thanks

>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
>> class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
>> to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
>> text on these images.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Vivien Barousse

> Vivien I've never had reason to do image manipulation so thanks for
> pointing the tinned up package, I'll check it. I'll report back for
> completeness.
>
> In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.
>
> Thanks

For more sophisticated image manipulation, check out JMagick.

Mark Space

Dundonald wrote:
> On 19 May, 21:54, viv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage

> In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/2d/index.html>

Covers Image and other graphics classes.

Tom Anderson

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Dundonald wrote:

> On 19 May, 21:54, viv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On May 19, 10:39 pm, Dundonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
>>> text to certain image templates?

>> Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
>> class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
>> to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
>> text on these images.

> Vivien I've never had reason to do image manipulation so thanks for
> pointing the tinned up package, I'll check it. I'll report back for
> completeness.
>
> In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.

Nope, that's pretty much it!

There are other image-processing libraries for java, but they're more
oriented towards dealing with all sorts of obscure file formats and doing
classic image processing like convolution etc. They aren't what you need.

The one other thing i'd point you at is javax.imageio, which does reading
and writing of image files. java.awt.image is the way to do the actual
graphics, though. You go to imageio to load your template, image to get a
Graphics object, awt to draw on it, then imageio again to write it out.

tom

--
.... which may end up with the women in your office cornering you at the
office xmas party and taking turns at jamming their bootclad feet into

project on image manipulation on java him Java 1 03-27-2006 02:35 PM
project on image manipulation him Java 3 03-25-2006 11:07 PM
image manipulation John ASP .Net 2 03-09-2006 03:00 AM
Image manipulation on client side Jason ASP .Net 1 11-08-2004 07:55 PM
image manipulation in asp/aps.net ?? Job ASP .Net 9 09-30-2004 08:15 PM

Advertisments