Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: viewing mbr os descriptor

Re: viewing mbr os descriptor

Bill Cunningham

"Jens Thoms Toerring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> If you feel that you can't get a grasp om these things I
> can only recommend that you use some other language than
> C. There are lots and lots of very good languages not re-
> quiring you to learn these maybe somewhat arcane things
> and which allow you to write great programs. But if you
> want to learn C then you also have to learn printf()
> format specifiers etc. or it will remain just a very
> frustrating experience.
> Regards, Jens

I don't feel I can't ever grasp them, I just don't know them. With
printf I know how to use %x and %? what ever after the %. Even whole numbers
and decimals after the %. Now I'm learning as I read about $ and # and even
[ and ] in printf. I haven't seen that in my tutorials or if I remember
correctly maybe not even kandr2.

Bill

Nick Keighley

On 19 May, 19:39, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Jens Thoms Toerring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
> > If you feel that you can't get a grasp om these things I
> > can only recommend that you use some other language than
> > C. There are lots and lots of very good languages not re-
> > quiring you to learn these maybe somewhat arcane things
> > and which allow you to write great programs. But if you
> > want to learn C then you also have to learn printf()
> > format specifiers etc. or it will remain just a very
> > frustrating experience.

> * * I don't feel I can't ever grasp them, I just don't know them.

few people do. RTFM

> With
> printf I know how to use %x and %? what ever after the %. Even whole numbers
> and decimals after the %. Now I'm learning as I read about $

$ is non-standard. $ isn't even in C's source character set.

> and # and even
> [ and ] in printf. I haven't seen that in my tutorials or if I remember
> correctly maybe not even kandr2.

# is in my K&R (section B1.2 Formatted Output). I generally think
Harbison
and Steel is better for the library. There are online versions of the
(draft but close to final) standard. And the C standard is pretty
readable.

--
Nick Keighley

santosh