Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > no 802.11g, no WPA....

no 802.11g, no WPA....

France

Hi! I have created an Ad Hoc Home network:
- PC Desktop Windows XP SP3, USB Adapter DWL-G132 updated (for the problem
of *.dll after SP3 ), modem ADSL etc....
- Notebook samsung r700 Vista Home Premium SP1with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
3945BG Network Connection

First i have installed the USB adapter on Desktop, then i have created the
ad hoc home network (IP manually assigned etc).
Second i have connected the notebook to the ad hoc network.
All works fine, and i connect to the web by the desktop pc, BUT
i) i can only use WEP (not WPA, but the use adapter can use WPA encryption)
ii) with the command "netsh wlan show all" i can see that the radio
frequency is 802.11b (Mbps 125.5 11) and NOT 802.11g (both USB Adapter dlink
and notebook can use 802.11g)
iii) I have to connect from notebook always manually (not auto
connection)....
what is wrong?
I heve tried installing and re-installing USB adapter but nothing changes.
Any suggestion?
thank you and sorry for my english
France

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

You may need to install Microsoft hotfix. This post may help.

XP doesn't have WPA option
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=6459#6459

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"France" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi! I have created an Ad Hoc Home network:
> - PC Desktop Windows XP SP3, USB Adapter DWL-G132 updated (for the problem
> of *.dll after SP3 ), modem ADSL etc....
> - Notebook samsung r700 Vista Home Premium SP1with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
> 3945BG Network Connection
>
> First i have installed the USB adapter on Desktop, then i have created the
> ad hoc home network (IP manually assigned etc).
> Second i have connected the notebook to the ad hoc network.
> All works fine, and i connect to the web by the desktop pc, BUT
> i) i can only use WEP (not WPA, but the use adapter can use WPA
> encryption)
> ii) with the command "netsh wlan show all" i can see that the radio
> frequency is 802.11b (Mbps 125.5 11) and NOT 802.11g (both USB Adapter
> dlink and notebook can use 802.11g)
> iii) I have to connect from notebook always manually (not auto
> connection)....
> what is wrong?
> I heve tried installing and re-installing USB adapter but nothing changes.
> Any suggestion?
> thank you and sorry for my english
> France

France

Thank you for the answer, but I had already installed the hotfix. Few days
ago I installed SP3, too (which, I think enables WPA encryption on XP
platform).
francesco

Barb Bowman

Many wireless adapters cannot use WPA in ad-hoc mode

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

John

XP SP2 does support WPA but does not support WPA2 without KB917021 patch

XP SP3 supports WPA2.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may need to install Microsoft hotfix. This post may help.
>
> XP doesn't have WPA option
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=6459#6459
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "France" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi! I have created an Ad Hoc Home network:
>> - PC Desktop Windows XP SP3, USB Adapter DWL-G132 updated (for the
>> problem of *.dll after SP3 ), modem ADSL etc....
>> - Notebook samsung r700 Vista Home Premium SP1with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
>> 3945BG Network Connection
>>
>> First i have installed the USB adapter on Desktop, then i have created
>> the ad hoc home network (IP manually assigned etc).
>> Second i have connected the notebook to the ad hoc network.
>> All works fine, and i connect to the web by the desktop pc, BUT
>> i) i can only use WEP (not WPA, but the use adapter can use WPA
>> encryption)
>> ii) with the command "netsh wlan show all" i can see that the radio
>> frequency is 802.11b (Mbps 125.5 11) and NOT 802.11g (both USB Adapter
>> dlink and notebook can use 802.11g)
>> iii) I have to connect from notebook always manually (not auto
>> connection)....
>> what is wrong?
>> I heve tried installing and re-installing USB adapter but nothing
>> changes. Any suggestion?
>> thank you and sorry for my english
>> France

France

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many wireless adapters cannot use WPA in ad-hoc mode

I think this is the most reasonable... I'll post this question to D-Link
support.
Thank you all.
France

Barb Bowman

please let us know the outcome.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Pavel A.

By all means, just use a wireless router or AP instead of adhoc.
This can save many nerve cells to you, us and dlink support.

Regards,
--PA

"France" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Many wireless adapters cannot use WPA in ad-hoc mode

> I think this is the most reasonable... I'll post this question to D-Link
> support.
> Thank you all.
> France

Linea Recta

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may need to install Microsoft hotfix. This post may help.
>
> XP doesn't have WPA option
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=6459#6459

It doesn't?? And I have no problems with W2k using WPA??

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you hurry you can alleviate your WPA "torture" for $5 after rebate
(the rebate ends today).
If you are Not in the USA you probably find a good deal on a Wireless Router
on your local too.
From an End-Users perspective, some Network capacities were included in the
OS because their were widely needed years ago.
Ad-Hoc, and ICS are example for it. There is better solution today and there
is No reason to use old solutions unless there is a specific tech. needs.
Jack (MVP-Networking).