Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Vista Home Premium 64 and USB Drives

Re: Vista Home Premium 64 and USB Drives

Colin Barnhorst

No, it is not normal.

Disconnect the hubs. See if that helps. If not, I would have the computer
checked. Something may not be wired correctly.

Be aware that not all hubs are OK with Vista. I have had at least one that
blue screened my computer by just connecting. I remember reports during the
Vista beta program about problems with some hubs.

Avoid using a hub or only use one certified for Vista. The one I had that
caused issues with Vista was OK with XP so the fact that "it used to work
OK" is not useful. When I replaced it with one certified for Vista I had no
more problems.

"BP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4830cbbf$0$31748$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've a couple USB external Hard Drives and a USB Flash Drive that I use
> from time to time. If I connect only one to the system all works well,
> but if I connect any 2 at the same time Windows Explorer freezes so I
> can't read any, let alone copy between them (I've never tried to attach
> all at the same time). Is this normal? Is there some setting I should
> make - or unmake somewhere - so I can attach all at the same time? As
> noted in the subject line I have the 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium,
> and 4 or 5 free USB 2 ports on the 2 attached hubs.

Charlie Russel - MVP

This could be a power issue too. If those USB drives are powering from the
USB ports, not from an external power source, you can quickly overload the
power to the USB ports. (And having a good USB hub that has an external
power source can definitely help here, pulling that load away from the
computer.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, it is not normal.
>
> Disconnect the hubs. See if that helps. If not, I would have the
> computer checked. Something may not be wired correctly.
>
> Be aware that not all hubs are OK with Vista. I have had at least one
> that blue screened my computer by just connecting. I remember reports
> during the Vista beta program about problems with some hubs.
>
> Avoid using a hub or only use one certified for Vista. The one I had that
> caused issues with Vista was OK with XP so the fact that "it used to work
> OK" is not useful. When I replaced it with one certified for Vista I had
> no more problems.
>
> "BP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4830cbbf$0$31748$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I've a couple USB external Hard Drives and a USB Flash Drive that I use
>> from time to time. If I connect only one to the system all works well,
>> but if I connect any 2 at the same time Windows Explorer freezes so I
>> can't read any, let alone copy between them (I've never tried to attach
>> all at the same time). Is this normal? Is there some setting I should
>> make - or unmake somewhere - so I can attach all at the same time? As
>> noted in the subject line I have the 64 bit version of Vista Home
>> Premium, and 4 or 5 free USB 2 ports on the 2 attached hubs.

BP

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote on 5/19/2008 :
> This could be a power issue too. If those USB drives are powering from the
> USB ports, not from an external power source, you can quickly overload the
> power to the USB ports. (And having a good USB hub that has an external power
> source can definitely help here, pulling that load away from the computer.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, it is not normal.
>>
>> Disconnect the hubs. See if that helps. If not, I would have the computer
>> checked. Something may not be wired correctly.
>>
>> Be aware that not all hubs are OK with Vista. I have had at least one that
>> blue screened my computer by just connecting. I remember reports during
>> the Vista beta program about problems with some hubs.
>>
>> Avoid using a hub or only use one certified for Vista. The one I had that
>> caused issues with Vista was OK with XP so the fact that "it used to work
>> OK" is not useful. When I replaced it with one certified for Vista I had
>> no more problems.
>>
>> "BP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4830cbbf$0$31748$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I've a couple USB external Hard Drives and a USB Flash Drive that I use
>>> from time to time. If I connect only one to the system all works well,
>>> but if I connect any 2 at the same time Windows Explorer freezes so I
>>> can't read any, let alone copy between them (I've never tried to attach
>>> all at the same time). Is this normal? Is there some setting I should
>>> make - or unmake somewhere - so I can attach all at the same time? As
>>> noted in the subject line I have the 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium,
>>> and 4 or 5 free USB 2 ports on the 2 attached hubs.

Thanks - I had the power connection but hadn't plugged it in. I did,
and now things seem to work OK (I' m crossing my fingers when I write
that).

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sounds like we may have it. After you've had a bit more time on it, please
confirm so we can all benefit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64