Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: JS Stops working in IE6

Re: JS Stops working in IE6

VK

On May 18, 12:03 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
> Gregor Kofler wrote:

> >> Well I suppose it doesn't work in *any* browser. And "refreshView is
> >> not defined". Apart from that: nuttin' to click.

> In order to clear up confusion, the new app is atwww.sheldonlg.com/JSstop1.com
>
> That one has no buttons or dropdown list. All it gas that is clickable
> is the plus sign to expand the nested tables. With this app, it stops
> after one expansion in IE6, but expands all three times in FF.

There is not JSstop1.html on your server. I see
http://www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops.htm
http://www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops2.htm
there and both seem working as intended with IE6

VK

On May 18, 12:40 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
> I also just test the JSstops1.htm on IE7. It expands two levels but not
> the third. FF expands them all.

OK, I think I know the problem. The table default display style
differs by browsers: "block", "table-block" and crazy mess. This is
why one _never_ _ever_ does two things with tables:

1) you do not override default display style.
2) you do not set it to any explicit values. Instead you set it to
"" (empty string) if needed to reset to default.

So in your code all initially visible tables must have no display rule
at all: carefully check CSS and scripting.

All initially hidden tables have display:none

To show a table you set display to empty string:
tableReference.style.display = '';

To hide it again you set to none:
tableReference.style.display = 'none';

VK

On May 18, 1:33 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
> VK wrote:
> > On May 18, 12:40 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
> >> I also just test the JSstops1.htm on IE7. It expands two levels but not
> >> the third. FF expands them all.

> > OK, I think I know the problem. The table default display style
> > differs by browsers: "block", "table-block" and crazy mess. This is
> > why one _never_ _ever_ does two things with tables:

> > 1) you do not override default display style.
> > 2) you do not set it to any explicit values. Instead you set it to
> > "" (empty string) if needed to reset to default.

> > So in your code all initially visible tables must have no display rule
> > at all: carefully check CSS and scripting.

> > All initially hidden tables have display:none

> > To show a table you set display to empty string:
> > tableReference.style.display = '';

> > To hide it again you set to none:
> > tableReference.style.display = 'none';

> I made that change and it didn't change anything.

I really need to go now, sorry. I will take another look today evening.

VK

On May 18, 1:54 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
> VK wrote:
> >> I made that change and it didn't change anything.

> > I really need to go now, sorry. I will take another look today evening.

Seems like some broken table glitch on IE6. As you may notice the
third table is blocked for user interaction, see the cursor style or
try to set a simple alert on image click.
If we replace

then the things are coming back to life right away.
Are you sure that there are indeed exactly 15 cells to span?

Jonathan N. Little

sheldonlg wrote:
> One additional piece of information. I changed the header to

> <head>
>
> (www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops7.htm)
>
> and it still exhibits the broken behavior of not expanding past the
> first nested table. So, it isn't the "XHTML", nor the "strict". Also,
> it isn't "quirks mode" since this is now straight html4.

No that's a transitional doctype, strict is:

Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

VK

> > Are you sure that there are indeed exactly 15 cells to span?
>
> No, there aren't. I have always used a large number when I wanted to
> span all columns of a table and it has always worked in the past.

That's a nasty way of doing things, really. But whatever.

> As you may have noticed, what I am trying to do with this sample app is
> not to "get the sample app to work". Rather, I am trying to get at the
> root cause of the problem so that I can get my real app to work. That
> is why I have left the sample app at the minimum I can get to and still
> have it exhibit the broken behavior.

No, it is not a minimum case: there is still plenty of extra stuff
floating around. For example do not use the current CSS file, just
load the page w/o styling: and the problem goes away. So either
something sneaky in your CSS rules, or some particular CSS rule acting
strange for IE6 with malformed tables. Keep cleaning up. For the
starter make a page loading an empty CSS file and then start adding
ruleset by ruleset from the current CSS checking the behavior after
each modification.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> sheldonlg wrote:
>> One additional piece of information. I changed the header to

This is _not_ the header.

>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>> <head>
>>
>> (www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops7.htm)
>>
>> and it still exhibits the broken behavior of not expanding past the
>> first nested table. So, it isn't the "XHTML", nor the "strict". Also,
>> it isn't "quirks mode" since this is now straight html4.

> No

Yes, it is not XHTML, and it is not HTML 4.01 Strict. Yes, it is HTML 4.

http://hsivonen.iki.fi/wannabe/

> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

However, HTML 4.01 Strict is not required for a UA to use Standards
Compliance Mode instead of Quirks/Compatibility Mode; including the
system identifier suffices.

See http://quirksmode.org/

F'up2 alt.html

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

In alt.html, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> sheldonlg wrote:
>> One additional piece of information. I changed the header to
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>> <head>
>>
>> (www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops7.htm)
>>
>> and it still exhibits the broken behavior of not expanding past the
>> first nested table. So, it isn't the "XHTML", nor the "strict".
>> Also, it isn't "quirks mode" since this is now straight html4.

> No that's a transitional doctype, strict is:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

...and he still needs to remove all those extra " />" so it validates.

.... title="Contemporary" type="text/css" />
.... <br />
and others.

The W3 CSS validator chokes; won't display errors.
"Servlet has thrown exception:javax.servlet.ServletException: Timed
out"

The WDG CSS validator reports dozens of errors.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/
and enter URL
http://www.sheldonlg.com/css/style1.css
Uncheck "Include warnings" to see errors only.

--
-bts

Jonathan N. Little

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> sheldonlg wrote:
>>> One additional piece of information. I changed the header to

> This is _not_ the header.
>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>>> <head>
>>>
>>> (www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops7.htm)
>>>
>>> and it still exhibits the broken behavior of not expanding past the
>>> first nested table. So, it isn't the "XHTML", nor the "strict". Also,
>>> it isn't "quirks mode" since this is now straight html4.

>> No

> Yes, it is not XHTML, and it is not HTML 4.01 Strict. Yes, it is HTML 4.
>
>> that's a transitional doctype, strict is:

> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/wannabe/

Excuse me, and this is applicable th whom?

>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

My statement is correct.

> However, HTML 4.01 Strict is not required for a UA to use Standards
> Compliance Mode instead of Quirks/Compatibility Mode; including the
> system identifier suffices.

True, a strict doctype does not guarantee that you page will be handled
by the UA in Standards Compliance Mode either, but starting with the
HTML 4.01 Strict is a start.

> See http://quirksmode.org/
>

> F'up2 alt.html

On a thread that basically dealt with the topic of *JavaScript* and one
comment that deals with the HTML portion of the topic and you screw with
the follow up... It is really annoying with your willy-nilly habit of
redirecting follow ups to truncate threads, and have them pop in and out
of NGs. Yes, redirect when the topic is really OT for the group and
appears to have more discussion to follow, else just leave it alone
would you.

F'up2 restored to alt.html and comp.lang.javascript

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> No

>> Yes, it is not XHTML, and it is not HTML 4.01 Strict. Yes, it is HTML 4.
>>
>>> that's a transitional doctype, strict is:

>> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/wannabe/

> Excuse me, and this is applicable th whom?

Pick a number.

>>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

> My statement is correct.

No, it isn't. sheldonlg's statement was: "So, it isn't the "XHTML", nor the
"strict". Also, it isn't "quirks mode" since this is now straight html4."
This statement is correct; you have denied that, which is incorrect.

>> However, HTML 4.01 Strict is not required for a UA to use Standards
>> Compliance Mode instead of Quirks/Compatibility Mode; including the
>> system identifier suffices.

> True, a strict doctype does not guarantee that you page will be handled
> by the UA in Standards Compliance Mode either, but starting with the
> HTML 4.01 Strict is a start.

That is not what I was saying.

>> See http://quirksmode.org/
>>

>> F'up2 alt.html

> On a thread that basically dealt with the topic of *JavaScript*

But this subthread does not.

> [...] Yes, redirect when the topic is really OT for the group and

The quirks of HTML and the Trident layout engine are off-topic here.

> appears to have more discussion to follow, else just leave it alone
> would you.

If someone had not mindlessly crossposted from outside Usenet, there would
have been no need to set Followup-To to the most appropriate newsgroup for
this subthread which happens to be outside Usenet.

> F'up2 restored to alt.html and comp.lang.javascript

You don't know what F'up2 means.

Score adjusted, F'up2 alt.html again

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)

Re: JS Stops working in IE6 VK HTML 1 05-17-2008 09:15 PM
Re: JS Stops working in IE6 Beauregard T. Shagnasty HTML 1 05-17-2008 09:06 PM
Working connection stops working? Gary Fritz Wireless Networking 6 06-14-2006 12:51 PM
Just one ie6 template that works with ie6!? Ivor O'Connor HTML 4 11-25-2003 09:16 PM

Advertisments