Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit CPU

64 bit CPU

radron13

I have 32 bit Ultimate installed and want to go to 64 bit. When I went to
install the 64 bit I got a message saying my CPU did not support 64 bit. My
motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe and the CPU is a Socket 478. Can
anyone tell me what CPU I need to get buy in order to install the 64 bit? Or
is there something in the BIOS that needs to be adjusted? thanks Ron

Tom Ferguson

I do not believe there are any socket 478 processors that are EM64T. Sorry.

This might be useful to check:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Lis...483&SearchKey=

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"radron13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 32 bit Ultimate installed and want to go to 64 bit. When I went to
> install the 64 bit I got a message saying my CPU did not support 64 bit.
> My
> motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe and the CPU is a Socket 478. Can
> anyone tell me what CPU I need to get buy in order to install the 64 bit?
> Or
> is there something in the BIOS that needs to be adjusted? thanks Ron

Charlie Russel - MVP

That motherboard shows NO 64-bit drivers available on the Asus site.
Therefore you really need to go with a new motherboard and CPU to support
64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"radron13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 32 bit Ultimate installed and want to go to 64 bit. When I went to
> install the 64 bit I got a message saying my CPU did not support 64 bit.
> My
> motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe and the CPU is a Socket 478. Can
> anyone tell me what CPU I need to get buy in order to install the 64 bit?
> Or
> is there something in the BIOS that needs to be adjusted? thanks Ron

Bender

Only the LGA (Land Grid Array) on Intel processors support the 64 bit
architecture. The Socket 478 has no supporting processors.

"radron13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 32 bit Ultimate installed and want to go to 64 bit. When I went to
> install the 64 bit I got a message saying my CPU did not support 64 bit.
> My
> motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe and the CPU is a Socket 478. Can
> anyone tell me what CPU I need to get buy in order to install the 64 bit?
> Or
> is there something in the BIOS that needs to be adjusted? thanks Ron

R. C. White

Hi, Ron.

As the others said, you need a new 64-bit motherboard/chipset to support the
64-bit CPU. Fortunately, you can get a dual-core 64-bit mobo/CPU combo from
Fry's for under $200. Of course, you will need new RAM to go with it, but
that also is very cheap these days; you can get 2 GB of fast RAM for under
$50. You probably can still use your present hard drives, but the new mobo
will likely also support any upgraded drives (SATA, RAID, USB, etc.) that
you might need sometime soon.

Long ago I subscribed to the "just get a faster CPU" idea, and it worked for
a while. But for the past decade or so, each CPU upgrade has required a new
mobo, too. But I'm amazed (and pleased) at how little a mobo costs compared
to the rest of the computer, especially considering that it is the
foundation on which everything else rests. Even a state-of-the-art board
can be had for less than $100, although I would always insist on one of
better quality than that. Still, my current EPoX MF570sli mobo cost only
$138 in December 2006. (I spent another $310 for the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU
and $232 for 2 GB PC6400 RAM, but those prices have dropped dramatically
since then.)

Let's see...Fry's ad in yesterday's Austin American-Statesman shows an ECS
mobo/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ combo for $99.99 (1 day only, 1 per customer)
and 2 GB OCZ DDR2 PC6400 RAM for $29.99 (after $15 mail-in rebate). That's
$130 for what cost me over $600 just about 17 months ago - and with a newer
chipset than mine! Wow!

In short, trying to upgrade your system while preserving your old mobo is
penny wise and pound foolish - to coin a phrase. ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX