Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows on IntelCore2duo, lots RAM

Windows on IntelCore2duo, lots RAM

free4trample@gmail.com

Good Evening.
I am trying to figure out if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista. I
do allot of coding in C and would like access to over 4GB of RAM. I
use Intel Core 2 DUO e6420 CPU.

My use patters are:
1) Scientific Computing
2) Office apps, Video viewing, compression
3) Video games

With DX10 Vista seems to be a better choice, however I kind of like XP
for its flexibility, I dont like the Vistas constant walkthroughs and
semi automated wizards... to me they sometimes get annoying... Also it
seems that Vista still has some compatibility issues, or at least it
did when i played with it couple months ago

Any advice is appreciated.

Any suggestions?
Thanks Ahead

Don

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good Evening.
> I am trying to figure out if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista. I
> do allot of coding in C and would like access to over 4GB of RAM. I
> use Intel Core 2 DUO e6420 CPU.
>
> My use patters are:
> 1) Scientific Computing
> 2) Office apps, Video viewing, compression
> 3) Video games
>
> With DX10 Vista seems to be a better choice, however I kind of like XP
> for its flexibility, I dont like the Vistas constant walkthroughs and
> semi automated wizards... to me they sometimes get annoying... Also it
> seems that Vista still has some compatibility issues, or at least it
> did when i played with it couple months ago
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks Ahead

Well, I personally wanted a 64 bit OS, and finally took the plunge and
decided on Vista Ultimate. I am glad I did, I have been very pleased with
it.

One thing to keep in mind, device drivers , etc, are being written/updated
frequently, for Vista now, whereas for XP 64 bit, I would imagine future
development of drivers /programs would not be very frequent any longer.
Yes, Vista is quite different, and for me took a little bit of getting used
to, but now that I am much more used to it I like it a lot better.

Main thing, with going with a 64 bit OS, is to make sure you have device
drivers available for all your needed devices, and of course program
compatibility. I found most my current 32 bit programs work just fine in
Vista 64, with the exception of a couple of freeware apps that were older,
that do not. However I had no trouble finding other more current apps that
would do the same to replace them.

--
Don

Charlie Russel - MVP

Your driver situation is likely to be better for Vista than for XP x64.
OTOH, if you have all the drivers you need, then either should work fine.
Personal preference. I moan and groan sometimes, but I'm running pure Vista
64-bit at this point.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good Evening.
> I am trying to figure out if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista. I
> do allot of coding in C and would like access to over 4GB of RAM. I
> use Intel Core 2 DUO e6420 CPU.
>
> My use patters are:
> 1) Scientific Computing
> 2) Office apps, Video viewing, compression
> 3) Video games
>
> With DX10 Vista seems to be a better choice, however I kind of like XP
> for its flexibility, I dont like the Vistas constant walkthroughs and
> semi automated wizards... to me they sometimes get annoying... Also it
> seems that Vista still has some compatibility issues, or at least it
> did when i played with it couple months ago
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks Ahead

Bender

One advantage of using Vista is that if you see any Vista Logoed products
then it will also support 64 bit. That is one of the requirements for a
Vista Logo.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good Evening.
> I am trying to figure out if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista. I
> do allot of coding in C and would like access to over 4GB of RAM. I
> use Intel Core 2 DUO e6420 CPU.
>
> My use patters are:
> 1) Scientific Computing
> 2) Office apps, Video viewing, compression
> 3) Video games
>
> With DX10 Vista seems to be a better choice, however I kind of like XP
> for its flexibility, I dont like the Vistas constant walkthroughs and
> semi automated wizards... to me they sometimes get annoying... Also it
> seems that Vista still has some compatibility issues, or at least it
> did when i played with it couple months ago
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks Ahead

Thomas Scheidegger

> if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista.
> I do allot of coding in C

for developers,
using Windows Server 2008 (64-Bit) as a Workstation OS
is getting attractive.
Same core code base as Vista SP1; componentized, fewer toys activated.
'Hyper-V' option as a next huge step in virtualization tech.

<URL:http://weblogs.asp.net/israelio/archive/2008/02/21/windows-server-2008-as-workstation.aspx>
<URL:http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2008/02/11/using-windows-server-2008-as-a-super-desktop-os.aspx>
<URL:http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/>
<URL:http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1218>

--
Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_dotnet.html - http://dnetmaster.net/

Zootal

Does "support 64 bit" mean run as a 64 bit app, or just run on a 64 bit OS
like most 32 bit programs do?

"Bender" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One advantage of using Vista is that if you see any Vista Logoed products
> then it will also support 64 bit. That is one of the requirements for a
> Vista Logo.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Good Evening.
>> I am trying to figure out if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista. I
>> do allot of coding in C and would like access to over 4GB of RAM. I
>> use Intel Core 2 DUO e6420 CPU.
>>
>> My use patters are:
>> 1) Scientific Computing
>> 2) Office apps, Video viewing, compression
>> 3) Video games
>>
>> With DX10 Vista seems to be a better choice, however I kind of like XP
>> for its flexibility, I dont like the Vistas constant walkthroughs and
>> semi automated wizards... to me they sometimes get annoying... Also it
>> seems that Vista still has some compatibility issues, or at least it
>> did when i played with it couple months ago
>>
>> Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> Thanks Ahead

Colin Barnhorst

Typically that the app runs on a 64bit OS. Most productivity apps don't
need to be 64bit. Those that require a software or hardware driver will at
least include those for 64bits. You have to investigate the provider's
website for details.

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does "support 64 bit" mean run as a 64 bit app, or just run on a 64 bit OS
> like most 32 bit programs do?
>
> "Bender" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One advantage of using Vista is that if you see any Vista Logoed products
>> then it will also support 64 bit. That is one of the requirements for a
>> Vista Logo.
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Good Evening.
>>> I am trying to figure out if I should use winXP-64bit or Win Vista. I
>>> do allot of coding in C and would like access to over 4GB of RAM. I
>>> use Intel Core 2 DUO e6420 CPU.
>>>
>>> My use patters are:
>>> 1) Scientific Computing
>>> 2) Office apps, Video viewing, compression
>>> 3) Video games
>>>
>>> With DX10 Vista seems to be a better choice, however I kind of like XP
>>> for its flexibility, I dont like the Vistas constant walkthroughs and
>>> semi automated wizards... to me they sometimes get annoying... Also it
>>> seems that Vista still has some compatibility issues, or at least it
>>> did when i played with it couple months ago
>>>
>>> Any advice is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks Ahead

Bender

I was talking about hardware that requires a driver.