Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Dbase / foxpro files

Dbase / foxpro files

Johny

Is there a module for reading/modifing db files from Python?
Thanks for help
B.

Peter Otten

Johny wrote:

> Is there a module for reading/modifing db files from Python?

There is a recipe by Raymond Hettinger:

Peter

John Machin

Johny wrote:
> Is there a module for reading/modifing db files from Python?
> Thanks for help
> B.

I have a module -- which I'm going to get around to releasing one of
these days -- which allows to read dBase III, dBase IV and Foxpro
files (sequentially only, not randomly) and to write dBaseIII files
sequentially. Index files if any are ignored.

Field types supported for reading:
C character
D date
F float
I integer (32 bits)
L logical
M memo (stored in a .DBT (dBase) or .FPT (FoxPro) file)
N number
T time

Writing supports only dBaseIII with C, D, L and N fields, but could be
extended easily enough (I've never had the need). No index files are
written.

E-mail me if you are interested.

Cheers,
John

Johny

On May 15, 5:21*pm, John Machin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Johny wrote:
> > Is there a module for reading/modifing db files from Python?
> > Thanks for help
> > B.

> I have a module -- which I'm going to get around to releasing one of
> these days -- which allows to read dBase III, dBase IV and Foxpro
> files (sequentially only, not randomly) and to write dBaseIII files
> sequentially. Index files if any are ignored.
>
> Field types supported for reading:
> C character
> D date
> F float
> I integer (32 bits)
> L logical
> M memo (stored in a .DBT (dBase) or .FPT (FoxPro) file)
> N number
> T time
>
> Writing supports only dBaseIII with C, D, L and N fields, but could be
> extended easily enough (I've never had the need). No index files are
> written.
>
> E-mail me if you are interested.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Hello John,
Yes, I am interested. Is it possible to download the module?
Thanks
Lad

Claudio Driussi

Johny ha scritto:
> Is there a module for reading/modifing db files from Python?
> Thanks for help
> B.

If your target is Windows, you can try mediator components

http://www.otc.pl/download/

which are COM objects based on xHarbour and which give you
full access to DBF and index.

You need PythonWin too.

I did some tests, if you like i can send you something,
call me in my private mail.

Claudio

martindesalinas@gmail.com

look at

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aactio...&submit=search

i use dbfpy

Ethan Furman

Johny wrote:

>Is there a module for reading/modifing db files from Python?
>Thanks for help
>B.
>--

I'm switching my company's software base over from FoxPro 6 to Python.
As part of that effort I have written (and am still enhancing a
dbf.py module which reads/writes both dBase III and FoxPro tables.

Index files are not supported, but the table can be sorted by any
combination of fields after being opened.

dBase III table/memo support is complete, but FoxPro field types
Currency, Double, General, and Picture are not supported and those
fields are stripped out when opened, and will not be in any saved
version of that table. At this point, the dbf file itself is read into
memory, all updates are held in memory, and the table is only written to
disk when the Save method is called.

Record navigation can be sequential or random, and Top, Bottom, Next,
and Previous are supported.

Searching is supported, using (or not) deleted records is supported,
adding and deleting fields is supported, saving as a csv file, and more.

Let me know if you'd like the module. Hope this helps.

Sample session follows...

>>> import dbf
>>> table = dbf.DbfTable('newtable','name C(10), age N(3.0), wisdom M')
>>> print table

Table: newtable.dbf
Type: dBase III Plus
Last updated: 2008-05-16
Record count: 0
Field count: 3
Record length: 24

--Fields--
name C(10)
age N(3.0)
wisdom M(10)

>>> table.Append()
>>> table.name = 'Ethan'
>>> table.age = 37
>>> table.wisdom = 'Python rules!'
>>> table.Scatter()

{'age': 37, 'name': 'Ethan', 'wisdom': 'Python rules!'}
>>> table.GetField('name')

'Ethan'
>>> table[0]

Ethan 37 1
>>> record = table[0]
>>> record.name

'Ethan'
>>> record.wisdom

'Python rules!'
>>> record.age = 40
>>> record

Ethan 40 1
>>> table[0]

Ethan 40 1
>>> table.Append({'name':'Lori', 'age':45, 'wisdom':'happy gardens make

a happy wife'})
>>> table.Scatter()

{'age': 45, 'name': 'Lori', 'wisdom': 'happy gardens make a happy wife'}
>>> for record in table:

.... print record.name, record.wisdom
Ethan Python rules!
Lori happy gardens make a happy wife

Johny

Thanks for your reply.Is it possible to delete a record by using the
module?
Thanks

Ethan Furman

Johny wrote:

>Thanks for your reply.Is it possible to delete a record by using the
>module?
>Thanks
>L>
>--

It is possible with mine. To clarify an earlier post, my module is for
dBase III and VFP 6.0 files only (those were the only two I needed .

Hope this helps.
--
Ethan