Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hi, all!

Hi, all!

Colin Barnhorst

In fact the major system builders aren't building systems with 32bit cpus
anymore, with the possible exception of Core Duo cheapies.

By flash drives replacing HDs are you referring to the solid state drives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive

news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, 32bit proc's isn't filling up the shelves much. Soon, nobody but the
> severely nostalgic will remember.
>
> Carlos makes a note about future development, I think the present
> transition
> period we are witnessing makes it likely that that there will not be
> 128bit
> CPU's for a long time - but I believe that the bottlenecks that remain
> will
> have to be addressed. I wonder if this might not mean that the 'SX'
> architecture will be abandoned and the old 'DX' architecture be
> resurrected
> in one fashion or other?
>
> Something surely must happen with general Bus Architecture when Flash
> drives
> replaces HD's!
>
> (Unless they have something totally 'other' in mind?)
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I actually think you're right, it has been higher. And a goodly number of
>> those are Vista 64. Mostly folks thinking about it, or thinking about how

>> get out of it. It's going to be interesting in the coming months. I
>> think we're getting close to the point where x64 is a "normal" option for
>> folks with a new PC, and they'll have to decide if they want to go that
>> route. With typical mobos being capable of >4GB, it is forcing OEMs and
>> users both into an area they've seemed to resist for the last 3 years.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks, Charlie - yes it's all relative, isn't it? But I did think the
>> > accumulation level was a bit steeper than when I was so abruptly
>> > dismembered. (As a member of this here society!)
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > like

> the

Tony Sperling

Yes, Solid State - sorry!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In fact the major system builders aren't building systems with 32bit cpus
> anymore, with the possible exception of Core Duo cheapies.
>
> By flash drives replacing HDs are you referring to the solid state drives?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive

> news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yeah, 32bit proc's isn't filling up the shelves much. Soon, nobody but

the
> > severely nostalgic will remember.
> >
> > Carlos makes a note about future development, I think the present
> > transition
> > period we are witnessing makes it likely that that there will not be
> > 128bit
> > CPU's for a long time - but I believe that the bottlenecks that remain
> > will
> > have to be addressed. I wonder if this might not mean that the 'SX'
> > architecture will be abandoned and the old 'DX' architecture be
> > resurrected
> > in one fashion or other?
> >
> > Something surely must happen with general Bus Architecture when Flash
> > drives
> > replaces HD's!
> >
> > (Unless they have something totally 'other' in mind?)
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I actually think you're right, it has been higher. And a goodly number

of
> >> those are Vista 64. Mostly folks thinking about it, or thinking about

how
> >> get out of it. It's going to be interesting in the coming months. I
> >> think we're getting close to the point where x64 is a "normal" option

for
> >> folks with a new PC, and they'll have to decide if they want to go that
> >> route. With typical mobos being capable of >4GB, it is forcing OEMs and
> >> users both into an area they've seemed to resist for the last 3 years.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

the

> > message

> > the

Colin Barnhorst

Nothing to be sorry about. This is new stuff to the Windows world.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, Solid State - sorry!
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In fact the major system builders aren't building systems with 32bit cpus
>> anymore, with the possible exception of Core Duo cheapies.
>>
>> By flash drives replacing HDs are you referring to the solid state
>> drives?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yeah, 32bit proc's isn't filling up the shelves much. Soon, nobody but

> the
>> > severely nostalgic will remember.
>> >
>> > Carlos makes a note about future development, I think the present
>> > transition
>> > period we are witnessing makes it likely that that there will not be
>> > 128bit
>> > CPU's for a long time - but I believe that the bottlenecks that remain
>> > will
>> > have to be addressed. I wonder if this might not mean that the 'SX'
>> > architecture will be abandoned and the old 'DX' architecture be
>> > resurrected
>> > in one fashion or other?
>> >
>> > Something surely must happen with general Bus Architecture when Flash
>> > drives
>> > replaces HD's!
>> >
>> > (Unless they have something totally 'other' in mind?)
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> of

> how

> for

> the

>> > message

>> > the

Tony Sperling

Somewhat true, but not quite - it's a trivial matter, but I had been reading
an article about the matter in that same morning and I felt stupid and I bit
my tongue (for which I'm sorry). . .

Now to something completely different - the selfdestructive 64bit machine
has finally been fixed. It's gotten a new MB, no questions asked! I was so
pleased, I instantly ordered a 30" monitor to be delivered with it.

Tuesday (or Wednesday) will be the day!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nothing to be sorry about. This is new stuff to the Windows world.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes, Solid State - sorry!
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> In fact the major system builders aren't building systems with 32bit

cpus
> >> anymore, with the possible exception of Core Duo cheapies.
> >>
> >> By flash drives replacing HDs are you referring to the solid state
> >> drives?
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive
> >>
> >> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...

but
> > the

remain

> > message

number
> > of

about
> > how

months.

option
> > for

years.

> > the

Colin Barnhorst

Congratulations! Sounds like a great resolution.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhat true, but not quite - it's a trivial matter, but I had been
> reading
> an article about the matter in that same morning and I felt stupid and I
> bit
> my tongue (for which I'm sorry). . .
>
> Now to something completely different - the selfdestructive 64bit machine
> has finally been fixed. It's gotten a new MB, no questions asked! I was so
> pleased, I instantly ordered a 30" monitor to be delivered with it.
>
> Tuesday (or Wednesday) will be the day!
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nothing to be sorry about. This is new stuff to the Windows world.
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes, Solid State - sorry!
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> cpus

> but
>> > the

> remain

>> > message

> number
>> > of

> about
>> > how

> months.

> option
>> > for

> years.

>> > the

Colin Barnhorst

By the way, here are two examples of internal SSD drives.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183094 (typical but
too small for a system drive)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609245 (sticker
shock, anyone?)

and this is an external (ExpressCard):

As the pricing suggests, SSD drives are in their infancy.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nothing to be sorry about. This is new stuff to the Windows world.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, Solid State - sorry!
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In fact the major system builders aren't building systems with 32bit
>>> cpus
>>> anymore, with the possible exception of Core Duo cheapies.
>>>
>>> By flash drives replacing HDs are you referring to the solid state
>>> drives?
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive
>>>
>>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> the

>> message

>> of

>> how

>> for

>> the

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's the biggest problem with them now. Also, they're not nearly as fast
as one might hope, though still better than a HD.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By the way, here are two examples of internal SSD drives.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183094 (typical
> but too small for a system drive)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609245 (sticker
> shock, anyone?)
>
> and this is an external (ExpressCard):
>
> As the pricing suggests, SSD drives are in their infancy.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nothing to be sorry about. This is new stuff to the Windows world.
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes, Solid State - sorry!
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> the

>>> message
>>> of
>>> how
>>> for

>>> the

Charlie Russel - MVP

It will be a while till there's a compelling need for 128 bit CPUs. At this
point, we're not even using all the possible memory address space - not even
close. So there are clearly many ways they can grow beyond this without
having to go to 128 bit. Which doesn't mean it won't happen, but I'd look
for it more in the Itanium space. And not any time soon even there.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Carlos" <atashian01@remove_the_obvious_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now I wonder...
> How many years from now we will see ourselves discussing about x128 or
> x256 OS's?
>
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
> mensaje de noticias
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I actually think you're right, it has been higher. And a goodly number of
>>those are Vista 64. Mostly folks thinking about it, or thinking about how
>>to get out of it. It's going to be interesting in the coming months. I
>>think we're getting close to the point where x64 is a "normal" option for
>>folks with a new PC, and they'll have to decide if they want to go that
>>route. With typical mobos being capable of >4GB, it is forcing OEMs and
>>users both into an area they've seemed to resist for the last 3 years.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks, Charlie - yes it's all relative, isn't it? But I did think the
>>> accumulation level was a bit steeper than when I was so abruptly
>>> dismembered. (As a member of this here society!)
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> like

Tony Sperling

To tell you the truth - on my way back home I nearly fell sick, thinking of
the cost, but then I remembered buying my MAG 19" CRT four years ago and
what that did to my work-space. At this time, and thinking of the recent
development (and my age!), it seemed natural to bridge into the future now
and buying a flat-screen today means having a wide-screen and having a
wide-screen means that a 24" will give me a slightly smaller picture than my
existing 19" VGA format. I know I would be severely depressed by that fact
within a few days. So, 26" displays are extremely rare and extremely
expensive for a relatively small size expansion and the 30" HP I ordered is
a bit more expensive than those but also entails a noticeable enlargement
that will eventually (I hope!) make up for the cost.

The screen comes with calibrating software but no hardware (obviously), if
someone happens to know:

could I use a Web-Camera or a Digital Camera as a simple means of
Calibrating Reference
when I set up the display at my home? I have a Casio 7.2 MPx camera
that can produce
astonishingly natural pictures.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Congratulations! Sounds like a great resolution.

Carlos

Tony,
What does the calibrating software calibrate?
Why would you want to calibrate the monitor?

OTOH, my advice is that when you turn on your PC and are sitting in front of
that jumbo monitor, you might want to fasten your seat belt not to be blown
away by your rig.

Carlos