Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Changing Owner and Organization in Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Changing Owner and Organization in Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Jim

In SIW the "Operating System" page reports:

Owner: Microsoft

for my copy of Windows Ultimate 64-bit

I have edited the Registry Key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

and they correctly report my name and my "company name" as I want them
to be.

I can not figure out where SIW is getting this information, but
sometimes when installing new programs they think the Owner is
Microsoft and the Organization is Microsoft.

I did a search of the entire Registry for "Owner," but I was
unsuccessful.

Is there *another* key, other than

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

(where everything is correct in my machine)

which lists the Owner and Organization of Windows?

Thank you!

Jim

Jane C

Hi Jim,

Yes, there is one other place on x64 Vista:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion

In there, mine was still showing Microsoft as RegisteredOrganization and
RegisteredOwner! I've just changed it

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Jim

On May 15, 7:06*am, "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Yes, there is one other place on x64 Vista:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion
>
> In there, mine was still showing Microsoft as RegisteredOrganization and
> RegisteredOwner! *I've just changed it
>
> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Hi Jane,

Thank you! I'll fix that!

BTW, I've always loved your little signature line. I wish we were
*all* 64-bit enabled. <g>

Jim

Jim

On May 15, 10:21*am, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Hi Jane,

That's the place, and I fixed it; but you made a minor syntax error.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows NT
\CurrentVersion

You left off the "NT"

It took me a while to find it.

Thanks again!

Have a *great* day!

Jim

Jane C

Ooops, sorry about that. Time for new reading glasses for me

Glad you're all sorted now.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On May 15, 4:10*pm, "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ooops, sorry about that. *Time for new reading glasses for me
>
> Glad you're all sorted now.

Jane,

No problem. I would not have been able to fix it without your help.

Now I have stored the key in a document in case I ever go through this
again.

Have a *great* day!

Jim