Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Bios Rom checksum error

Bios Rom checksum error

Baron

William wrote:

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g1kapc$v7n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> William wrote:
>>> Hey Baron or Paul
>>> I installed new mother board and after a few tries I had to set
>>> the bios on the fail safe setting. Message came up "Windows could
>>> not start because the following file is missing or corrupt"
>>> "\windows\system32\config\system"
>>> "You can attempt to repair the file using the orignal setup CD-Rom".
>>> Is this because of the new mother board? What would you suggest I
>>> do? William

>> Unless you have done a clean install of Wins you will get these
>> problems. Wins doesn't like it when you swap mainboards on it !
>> I always do a clean install on a new mainboard.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.

> Thanks Baron. Just two more questions. Should I run the setup disk
> that came with the mother board? If I do a clean install do I have to
> register windows xp again and how about the password and will I loose
> all my other programs? Thanks.
> William

Hi William,

You can do what is called a "Repair Install" where all your data remains
intact, but so do any nasties that you may have. You will still have
to to the authentication simply because you have changed the mainboard.
M$ consider that it is a new computer. Just tell them the mainboard
went faulty and its been replaced. It wont be a problem !

With a clean install you will still have to authenticate with M$, but
that is a trivial matter.

You can always reinstate your password, so I don't see that as a
problem ! As far as your programs are concerned you have the original
disks, don't you ! So just re-install them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Paul

William wrote:
> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g1kapc$v7n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> William wrote:
>>> Hey Baron or Paul
>>> I installed new mother board and after a few tries I had to set
>>> the bios on the fail safe setting. Message came up "Windows could not
>>> start because the following file is missing or corrupt"
>>> "\windows\system32\config\system"
>>> "You can attempt to repair the file using the orignal setup CD-Rom".
>>> Is this because of the new mother board? What would you suggest I do?
>>> William

>> Unless you have done a clean install of Wins you will get these
>> problems. Wins doesn't like it when you swap mainboards on it !
>> I always do a clean install on a new mainboard.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.

> Thanks Baron. Just two more questions. Should I run the setup disk that
> came with the mother board? If I do a clean install do I have to register
> windows xp again and how about the password and will I loose all my other
> programs? Thanks.
> William

You can do a repair install. That doesn't affect your programs or data files.
But it does mean putting back any missing Service Packs, security updates,
patches, and even a later version of Internet Explorer.

In terms of install order, do the repair install, update with SP2 if SP2
isn't included in your current Windows installer CD, then use the
motherboard CD to install hardware drivers. That order is recommended,
because some hardware installers like to install after SP2. Then you
can do Windows Update and finish the Security Updates.

Paul

William

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g1klh3$3ch$(E-Mail Removed)...
> William wrote:
>> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:g1kapc$v7n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Unless you have done a clean install of Wins you will get these
>>> problems. Wins doesn't like it when you swap mainboards on it !
>>> I always do a clean install on a new mainboard.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards:
>>> Baron.

>> Thanks Baron. Just two more questions. Should I run the setup disk that
>> came with the mother board? If I do a clean install do I have to register
>> windows xp again and how about the password and will I loose all my other
>> programs? Thanks.
>> William

> You can do a repair install. That doesn't affect your programs or data
> files.
> But it does mean putting back any missing Service Packs, security updates,
> patches, and even a later version of Internet Explorer.

> In terms of install order, do the repair install, update with SP2 if SP2
> isn't included in your current Windows installer CD, then use the
> motherboard CD to install hardware drivers. That order is recommended,
> because some hardware installers like to install after SP2. Then you
> can do Windows Update and finish the Security Updates.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul.
I can't get my original CD to boot to do a repair. The drive seems to be
working. The last time I changed a mother board I went through all the
procedures trying to boot. I finaly bought a new hard drive formatted it and
installed windows. After BIOS and at the bottom of the screen that shows the
checks for all the drives there is " No 80 cable instal". I don't know what
that means. I have two hard drives installed and a cd/write and a dvd/write
installed. Before I get another drive should I just use the hard drive with
the OS and the CD drive or DVD drive?
William

Paul

William wrote:
> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g1klh3$3ch$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> William wrote:
>>> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:g1kapc$v7n$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks Baron. Just two more questions. Should I run the setup disk that
>>> came with the mother board? If I do a clean install do I have to register
>>> windows xp again and how about the password and will I loose all my other
>>> programs? Thanks.
>>> William

>> You can do a repair install. That doesn't affect your programs or data
>> files.
>> But it does mean putting back any missing Service Packs, security updates,
>> patches, and even a later version of Internet Explorer.
>>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> In terms of install order, do the repair install, update with SP2 if SP2
>> isn't included in your current Windows installer CD, then use the
>> motherboard CD to install hardware drivers. That order is recommended,
>> because some hardware installers like to install after SP2. Then you
>> can do Windows Update and finish the Security Updates.
>>
>> Paul

> Thanks Paul.
> I can't get my original CD to boot to do a repair. The drive seems to be
> working. The last time I changed a mother board I went through all the
> procedures trying to boot. I finaly bought a new hard drive formatted it and
> installed windows. After BIOS and at the bottom of the screen that shows the
> checks for all the drives there is " No 80 cable instal". I don't know what
> that means. I have two hard drives installed and a cd/write and a dvd/write
> installed. Before I get another drive should I just use the hard drive with
> the OS and the CD drive or DVD drive?
> William

Can we back up a little bit ?

This thread is getting a bit long, and perhaps I missed a message with your
hardware details for the new setup. It sounds like you're having general
storage problems now, as perhaps your hard drive and CDROM are suffering from
the same malaise.

While I did find the following article, for problems with "System", I suspect
there is a hardware problem that should be fixed first. At the moment, your
system is not healthy enough to boot or do repair installs or the like.
At the moment, you're at the "testing hardware" phase. So, here is a link
to some things to try, but I suspect something isn't hooked up right, or
has been hooked to a "secondary" controller. When you give your hardware
details, it may become a bit clearer.

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...r_corrupt.html

So please give your details -

1) Motherboard make and model number.
2) Number of hard drives and CDROM drives.
3) How they are cabled together. (Hard drive on center connector,
CDROM on end connector etc.)
4) Whether the cable has 40 wires or 80 wires. The 80 wire cables have thinner
wires, and the cable has better signal transmission qualities than the 40 wire
cable. That is why the 80 wire cable can support Ultra133.
5) How the drives are jumpered. If IDE, they could be master, master only,
slave, or cable select. If SATA, there is a jumper to force 150MB/sec
interface rate. So it would be nice to know how you jumpered things.

As the above "help2go" article mentions, there are hard drive diagnostics
available on the various manufacturer web sites. The diagnostic may fit on
a floppy, or there may be a CDROM version (perhaps an ISO9660), and you
boot with the diagnostic and let it test the disk. Now, one downside of the
diagnostic, is it doesn't say what is broken. But at least it would
be interesting, to see if the drive is accessible or not. But before
you run the diagnostic, the setup of the hardware should be
re-examined for errors. No sense abusing the hardware, if something
isn't connected right.

I like this tutorial on IDE cabling and jumpers, as it saves me a lot
of typing. It is pretty thorough, on the subject of IDE and ribbon cables
for hard drives.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf.htm

Paul

William

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g1lb4b$hmg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> interface rate. So it would be nice to know how you jumpered things.
>
> As the above "help2go" article mentions, there are hard drive diagnostics
> available on the various manufacturer web sites. The diagnostic may fit on
> a floppy, or there may be a CDROM version (perhaps an ISO9660), and you
> boot with the diagnostic and let it test the disk. Now, one downside of
> the
> diagnostic, is it doesn't say what is broken. But at least it would
> be interesting, to see if the drive is accessible or not. But before
> you run the diagnostic, the setup of the hardware should be
> re-examined for errors. No sense abusing the hardware, if something
> isn't connected right.
>
> I like this tutorial on IDE cabling and jumpers, as it saves me a lot
> of typing. It is pretty thorough, on the subject of IDE and ribbon cables

Sorry Paul
You didn't miss anything I just hooked everything up like it was on
my other board using same cables hoping everything was the same and maybe
that is the problem. Here is the info. I will read the articles and double
check everything. It might take some time.

1) Motherboard make and model number.
PCChips M848A

2) Number of hard drives and CDROM drives.
2 hard drives a CD Rom r/w and a DVD Rom r/w

3) How they are cabled together.
Both hard drives on same cable, 80 wire. Boot drive on center and slave
drive on end. CD and DVD on same cable CD on center DVD on end, 40 wire.

4) Whether the cable has 40 wires or 80 wires.
Hard drives on 80 wire and CD and DVD on 40 wire cable. Could this be
a problem?

5) How the drives are jumpered.
IDE, I think, Master,Slave This is the way it shows up in BIOS setup
utility. I let the utility detect the drives and it showed them as user
defined.

I can get to dos with the start up disk I made on my other computer.
Also I can get to hard drive c (master) and hard drive d (slave) but not cd
or dvd drives. Should I start a new message topic? If so what?
William

Paul

William wrote:
> [...]

> 2) Number of hard drives and CDROM drives.
> 2 hard drives a CD Rom r/w and a DVD Rom r/w
>
> 3) How they are cabled together.
> Both hard drives on same cable, 80 wire. Boot drive on center and slave
> drive on end. CD and DVD on same cable CD on center DVD on end, 40 wire.
>
> 4) Whether the cable has 40 wires or 80 wires.
> Hard drives on 80 wire and CD and DVD on 40 wire cable. Could this be
> a problem?
>
> 5) How the drives are jumpered.
> IDE, I think, Master,Slave This is the way it shows up in BIOS setup
> utility. I let the utility detect the drives and it showed them as user
> defined.
>
> I can get to dos with the start up disk I made on my other computer.
> Also I can get to hard drive c (master) and hard drive d (slave) but not cd
> or dvd drives. Should I start a new message topic? If so what?

You could make the thread "PCChips M848A CD/DVD boot problem".

The M848A Version 5 board is here. Your motherboard is a replacement for
a Syntax SV266AD VIA KT266 Athlon board. The M848A uses a SiS746FX Northbridge
and SiS963L Southbridge, so would need a repair install (which is why
being able to boot from an optical device would be nice).

http://www.pcchipsusa.com/PCCWebSite...nuID=7&LanID=2

http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfilepcc/manual/848Av50.pdf

You have two IDE connectors. To do the repair install, all that is
necessary is the HDD with the boot system on it, and one optical
drive. You have one 80 wire cable, and you could host those two
devices with the one cable.

There is little difference, between a 40 wire and an 80 wire cable,
from the user perspective. They both hold two drives. But the
80 wire cable supports the higher UDMA rates, and also has better
signal integrity. The 40 wire cable works, and the BIOS and OS
can (partially) detect the presence of the cable, and limit
the transfer rate to match the signal integrity properties of
the cable. (The ATAPI standard claims they cannot guarantee that
the 40 pin cable is detectable, without going into details.)

You can take from that, that I like 80 wire cables in my computer.
Even for optical drives.

Another property of the 80 wire cable, is it may have the mod to
make it support cable select. That is not really essential, but is
another distinguishing feature of the 80 wire cable.

Right off hand, I don't see a reason why your current configuration
doesn't work. You can try popping an 80 wire cable in there, for
the optical drives. But I wouldn't have thought that would stop
the drive from being bootable. Since you'll eventually need to
get all four devices working, putting just the HDD and the CDROM
on the cable, so you can finish a repair install, is hardly a
permanent solution.

Usually, a BIOS setting of "Auto" for storage devices, does a
good job. You can check the main BIOS screen, and see if all
devices you've cabled up, are being detected and named properly,
without weird characters in the name string.

Paul