Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Advice on design approach and principles

Advice on design approach and principles

Mr Gordonz

Hi All,

I am building a site that will be used by different types of users, and each
type of user will do similar, but substantially different, things. My
question is a general one: what is the "best" (or at least a good) approach
to the design of the site.

For example:

1. I want to display a menu/nav bar at the top of the page, and while some
options are common to all types of user, some are unique to one user type.
At the moment I am using a User Control, and it has three separate Panel
controls. In the Load event (of the User Control), I check the Usertype
(stored in a Session variable), and display the Panel which has the menu
options relevant to that user type (and also hide the other panels). It
works just fine, but it doesn't seem a very "elegant" solution.

2. All user types can go to an "Edit My Account" page. But the info that
is stored in the database for each user type is different: different fields
in
different tables, therefore different controls on the Account page. Which
is
better: completely separate pages for each user type (easy to do, but lots
of pages) vs. one page for all, and use my trick of hidden panels (less
pages, more code). I suspect there are other approaches, but I'm not
sure what they might be.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has ideas/opinions/experience
regarding this "question". I realize that I am really asking a very broad
question about solution architecture, but I am now 35 years old and I don't
have the time (or the money!) to go back to Uni and study, so I'll happily
settle for some quick tips and pointers from the experts!

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Mr Gordonz

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

1) I think this is a very elegant solution you've come up with. This is the
way I would have done it. I can think of other ways you could have done it
but none that I would consider "better."

2) Without knowing more about your app, the panel approach seems reasonable,
especially since it keeps things pretty consistent with the coding style of
your menu control.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD