Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java IDE

Java IDE

Roedy Green

On Wed, 14 May 2008 11:00:05 -0700 (PDT), Lord Zoltar
said :

>Actually, a text editor and command prompt CAN be good.

I still use a text editor for experiments, mainly because it comes up
quickly and does not make a production of creating a new class or
insisting it remain compilable for all time.

The big attractions of the IntelliJ IDE for me are:

1. global safe rename. I am quite compulsive about naming things, and
renaming to resolve ambiguities. I also sometimes develop with one set
of short names then rename to a more formal set. It is the smartest
rename I have yet used.

2. navigation. Find a definition. Find usages. Look up parms needed
for a method invocation. The alpha list summary list of methods and
vars

3. refactor, especially Extract method to keep making the code ever
more encapsulated.

4. cookie cutter for get/set/constructor etc. It is not quite what I
want. It does not generate the JavaDoc skeleton.

5. constant feedback, but not overwhelming feedback of syntax errors
(unbalanced, undefined, unused). You don't have to compile to get
clean syntax.

6. the code reformatter and rearranger. I have never seen anything
with that degree of control to make my listing look exactly as I want
them. I like it that I don't waste keystrokes formatting and that I
can change my entire body of work's formatting in a keystroke.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Roedy Green

On Wed, 14 May 2008 22:22:34 -0700 (PDT), Neo Pantain
said :

> Its up to you.. as per my perspective Ecllipse is best

All of us have tried several IDEs, and settled on one, then learned
its quirks. Using any other is like eating with your left hand.

In the meantime, all IDEs improved. You tend to compare your IDE NOW,
with the other IDE, you only partly learned THEN.

So there is a great tendency to overvalue your current IDE.

We need an objective experiment. We need a crop of newbies. Each
newbie is given a project and an IDE, at the end of 2 weeks they drop
that project, start another with a different IDE.

We measure how far each newbie got with each IDE, and do some stats.

This at least would give you a measure of the learning curve.

I wonder if some CS department at a University could arrange such a
test.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Arne Vajhøj

Lew wrote:
> My observation is that IDEs vary little in feature set.

I think they vary quite a bit in features, but that they do
not vary much in the features that are sufficient for most people.

Arne

Lionel van den Berg

On Fri, 16 May 2008 13:24:24 +0000, Roedy Green wrote:

> On 16 May 2008 19:08:06 +1100, Lionel van den Berg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>>Most stuff on your site is very helpful but I found the discussions in
>>the table at the above link very inconsistent and not all that useful.
>>They are also out of date, at least for Netbeans.
>>
>>I think each IDE needs to be examined against a set of
>>features/behaviour whatever. Just a suggestion, it would be a lot of
>>work.

> If you are up for updating even some of the information, please email
> it.

In that case I may well do, at least for Netbeans and Eclipse.

I have seen a very good comparison between Eclipse and Netbeans at one
stage, but I have no idea where it was or who did it.

Lionel.