Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java IDE

Java IDE

Neo Pantain

On May 14, 6:33 pm, jojo80011 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

hi jojo
Its up to you.. as per my perspective Ecllipse is best

Thanks
Alok

Thomas Kellerer

Sabine Dinis Blochberger, 15.05.2008 11:11:
> jojo80011 wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used Netbeans?

> I use it for Java, and my boss uses it for PHP. I have always like dit,
> and he was pleasantly surprised.
>
> What I don't like is that PHP development is now (version 6.1) separate
> from Java, meaning you can't have both? (OT question)

No you can.

Either download the full distrubution (which will include C/C++, Ruby, UML and JavaEE) or simply download the Java version and then install the PHP module through the plugin manager (Tools -> Plugins).

I think due to an issue in the plugin manager, you cannot "upgrade" a PHP only distribution to include PHP, but I might be mistaken. Just check which plugins the plugin manager offers you in the PHP distribution.

Thomas

Thomas Kellerer

Sabine Dinis Blochberger, 15.05.2008 12:20:
>> Either download the full distrubution (which will include C/C++, Ruby,
>> UML and JavaEE) or simply download the Java version and then install the
>> PHP module through the plugin manager (Tools -> Plugins).

> Exactly, that was how I had it before 6.1. No PHP plugin shows (in the
> available plugins catalog). Is it mushed into any of the Web/EE plugins?

Not that I am aware of

When I go to Tools -> Plugins with my JavaEE distribution I can select the plugins:

PHP Debugger
PHP Samples
PHP

>> I think due to an issue in the plugin manager, you cannot "upgrade" a
>> PHP only distribution to include PHP, but I might be mistaken. Just
>> check which plugins the plugin manager offers you in the PHP
>> distribution.
>>

> Thanks. For now it's not an important issue luckily.

That should have been "a PHP only distribution to include Java" though

Thomas

Thomas Kellerer

Sabine Dinis Blochberger, 15.05.2008 13:46:
> Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>
>> Sabine Dinis Blochberger, 15.05.2008 12:20:
>>> Exactly, that was how I had it before 6.1. No PHP plugin shows (in the
>>> available plugins catalog). Is it mushed into any of the Web/EE plugins?

>> Not that I am aware of
>>
>> When I go to Tools -> Plugins with my JavaEE distribution I can select the plugins:
>>
>> PHP Debugger
>> PHP Samples
>> PHP
>>

> Yeah, those aren't there. I found however this nugget:
> <http://wiki.netbeans.org/WhereDoIDownloadThePHPSupport>
>
> Basically I can't have it both, for now.

In my experience missing entries in the plugin manager are often caused by incorrect settings in the userdir (e.g. when upgrading from a beta to a release).

Try to delete the following files from your userdir (after closing down the IDE of course) and try the plugin manager again afterwards:

$USER_DIR\config\Preferences\org\netbeans\modules\ autoupdate (whole directory)
$USER_DIR\config\Preferences\org\netbeans\modules\ autoupdate.properties (single file)

For more information on the userdir:
http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqWhatIsUserdir

Regards
Thomas

Arved Sandstrom

"jojo80011" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

For no reason that I can explain I tend to use Eclipse (Europa) for non-J2EE
apps, and NetBeans (6.0) for J2EE apps. Well, there probably is a reason - I
found Netbeans very easy to set up for J2EE and RoR, and didn't put the
effort into doing the same for Eclipse. Both of them, however, are nice
IDEs, so I won't recommend one over the other. I've used IntelliJ in the
past (through company license seats) and found it very good also.

Answer being, any of the major IDEs are probably perfectly OK. You'd have to
look at what your specialized needs are. There are a lot of online tutorials
out there for doing X in IDE Y, so they are a decent guide to what IDE might
be best for you.

AHS

Travis James

jojo80011 wrote:
> I was looking for constructive comments, not smart-ass answers.

First, welcome to Usenet. You're gonna get those. Second, his "smart
ass" response is a typical joke to interject in IDE/editor discussions.

Your question is so thinly worded that it just asked to be abused. How
about a little background to your question so a more informed answer can
be provided. Are you familiar with Java? What about other languages?
Have you programmed in other IDEs like Visual Studio? Are you doing
simple Java projects or are you going into a job with dozens or hundreds
of developers and thousands of classes? Is the backing source control
important to you? Will you be using frameworks? Do you have a favored
keystroke set like vi or EMACS or Microsoft applications?

If you're a pure novice just getting started, any one will do but the
comment about text editors is also appropriate.

- TJ

Lionel van den Berg

On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:59:20 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> Lord Zoltar wrote:
>> Actually, a text editor and command prompt CAN be good. In my opinion,
>> they're usually best when learning a new language, so as to get rid of
>> most of the distractions and clutter an IDE would have.

> I agree.
>
> All developers should be able to develop using a text editor and command
> line build, because then they understand what their IDE is doing.
>
> And besides one can risk someday to be on a platform with no IDE.
>
> But if I have the choice I like to use an IDE, because I am a lazy
> bastard.

I don't think it is lazy. IDE's speed up your development massively.
Especially when refactoring.

And of course I agree all projects should be able to work anywhere. I am
sold on writing ant scripts and making ant the only requirement.

Lionel.

Lionel van den Berg

On Wed, 14 May 2008 15:13:08 +0000, Roedy Green wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2008 06:33:18 -0700 (PDT), jojo80011
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :
>
>>What is the best IDE to use when developing Java applications?

> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

Most stuff on your site is very helpful but I found the discussions in
the table at the above link very inconsistent and not all that useful.
They are also out of date, at least for Netbeans.

I think each IDE needs to be examined against a set of features/behaviour
whatever. Just a suggestion, it would be a lot of work.

Lionel.

Thomas Kellerer

Sabine Dinis Blochberger, 16.05.2008 11:24:
>> Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>> In my experience missing entries in the plugin manager are often caused
>> by incorrect settings in the userdir (e.g. when upgrading from a beta to
>> a release).
>>
>> Try to delete the following files from your userdir (after closing down
>> the IDE of course) and try the plugin manager again afterwards:
>>
>> $USER_DIR\config\Preferences\org\netbeans\modules\ autoupdate (whole directory)
>> $USER_DIR\config\Preferences\org\netbeans\modules\ autoupdate.properties (single file)
>>
>> For more information on the userdir:
>> http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqWhatIsUserdir
>>

> Did that, still no plugins about PHP in the list. I can install NetBeans
> for PHP simultaneously, should I really need it. Thanks.

Very strange.

If this really bugs you, you might want to post this problem to the NetBeans mailing list.

Thomas

Roedy Green

On 16 May 2008 19:08:06 +1100, Lionel van den Berg
said :

>Most stuff on your site is very helpful but I found the discussions in
>the table at the above link very inconsistent and not all that useful.
>They are also out of date, at least for Netbeans.
>
>I think each IDE needs to be examined against a set of features/behaviour
>whatever. Just a suggestion, it would be a lot of work.

If you are up for updating even some of the information, please email
it.

What is probably needed is something to compare the big three,
Netbeans, Eclipse, Intellij to help someone decide which is the most
likely candidate. Rate it for various tasks e.g. navigating, editing,
visual gui design.

Secondly, decide if BlueJ is actually the best for beginners or those
with old machines.

I added a new one the other da, FieldBird.. Why do people spend so
much time reinventing the wheel (IDEs, SQL engines, frameworks) when
there are so many tools unwritten entirely?
see http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html

--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary