Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Avast Antivirus updated to v4.8.1195

Avast Antivirus updated to v4.8.1195

Carlos

It seems that yesterday was not only "superTuesday" for the monthly MSFT
updates but also for NVidia (new GeForce drivers) and Avast antivirus
New version is 4.8.1195 and the changelog can be found here:
Free home edition here:
Professional edition here:

Please note that this is a "kernel" update and not just a simple virus
definitions update.

Carlos

xiowan

Hello "Carlos":
I've been using AVG Free Anti-virus for several years and it came out
with a new improved version that seems to make my 2 Vista 64 pc's and 1 XP
MCE2005 go crazy when I tried to scan the drives for viruses........100% cpu
usage within seconds! It used to run about 14% with other applications
running! I've gotten rid of them and gone back to AVG 7.5 but that will no
longer be available after the end of the year so I'm looking for a simple
anti-virus program to go along with Windows Defender. I've used McAffee and
Norton over the years and don't care the invasiveness and computer resource
hogging. Do you use avast on your pc and do you like it? I'm no computer
whiz and I hate programs that ask me what to do with each thing they find; I
generally have no idea!

xiowan.........in tucson

"Carlos" wrote:

> It seems that yesterday was not only "superTuesday" for the monthly MSFT
> updates but also for NVidia (new GeForce drivers) and Avast antivirus
> New version is 4.8.1195 and the changelog can be found here:
> Free home edition here:
> Professional edition here:
>
> Please note that this is a "kernel" update and not just a simple virus
> definitions update.
>
> Carlos

Carlos

Hi,
I've been using Avast for about two years.
It is not a resource hog and it is hard to notice that it is even there.
I always install it with the defaults and it is a "set and forget" thing.
Does it job quite nicely.

Carlos

"xiowan" wrote:

> Hello "Carlos":
> I've been using AVG Free Anti-virus for several years and it came out
> with a new improved version that seems to make my 2 Vista 64 pc's and 1 XP
> MCE2005 go crazy when I tried to scan the drives for viruses........100% cpu
> usage within seconds! It used to run about 14% with other applications
> running! I've gotten rid of them and gone back to AVG 7.5 but that will no
> longer be available after the end of the year so I'm looking for a simple
> anti-virus program to go along with Windows Defender. I've used McAffee and
> Norton over the years and don't care the invasiveness and computer resource
> hogging. Do you use avast on your pc and do you like it? I'm no computer
> whiz and I hate programs that ask me what to do with each thing they find; I
> generally have no idea!
>
> xiowan.........in tucson
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > It seems that yesterday was not only "superTuesday" for the monthly MSFT
> > updates but also for NVidia (new GeForce drivers) and Avast antivirus
> > New version is 4.8.1195 and the changelog can be found here:
> > Free home edition here:
> > Professional edition here:
> >
> > Please note that this is a "kernel" update and not just a simple virus
> > definitions update.
> >
> > Carlos

Colin Barnhorst

I find it less intrusive than AVG as well.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I've been using Avast for about two years.
> It is not a resource hog and it is hard to notice that it is even there.
> I always install it with the defaults and it is a "set and forget" thing.
> Does it job quite nicely.
>
> Carlos
>
> "xiowan" wrote:
>
>> Hello "Carlos":
>> I've been using AVG Free Anti-virus for several years and it came out
>> with a new improved version that seems to make my 2 Vista 64 pc's and 1
>> XP
>> MCE2005 go crazy when I tried to scan the drives for viruses........100%
>> cpu
>> usage within seconds! It used to run about 14% with other applications
>> running! I've gotten rid of them and gone back to AVG 7.5 but that will
>> no
>> longer be available after the end of the year so I'm looking for a simple
>> anti-virus program to go along with Windows Defender. I've used McAffee
>> and
>> Norton over the years and don't care the invasiveness and computer
>> resource
>> hogging. Do you use avast on your pc and do you like it? I'm no
>> computer
>> whiz and I hate programs that ask me what to do with each thing they
>> find; I
>> generally have no idea!
>>
>> xiowan.........in tucson
>>
>> "Carlos" wrote:
>>
>> > It seems that yesterday was not only "superTuesday" for the monthly
>> > MSFT
>> > updates but also for NVidia (new GeForce drivers) and Avast antivirus
>> > New version is 4.8.1195 and the changelog can be found here:
>> > Free home edition here:
>> > Professional edition here:
>> >
>> > Please note that this is a "kernel" update and not just a simple virus
>> > definitions update.
>> >
>> > Carlos

xiowan

Hello "Carlos":
Thanks for the input......I'm glad to hear that I can replace AVG Free
with something not too complicated! I think I'll try it first on my XP Media
Center 2005 pc and then if I have no problems I'll switch over the two Vista
pcs later. Thanks to your post I don't even have to look up the download
site!

xiowan.........in tucson

"Carlos" wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been using Avast for about two years.
> It is not a resource hog and it is hard to notice that it is even there.
> I always install it with the defaults and it is a "set and forget" thing.
> Does it job quite nicely.
>
> Carlos
>
> "xiowan" wrote:
>
> > Hello "Carlos":
> > I've been using AVG Free Anti-virus for several years and it came out
> > with a new improved version that seems to make my 2 Vista 64 pc's and 1 XP
> > MCE2005 go crazy when I tried to scan the drives for viruses........100% cpu
> > usage within seconds! It used to run about 14% with other applications
> > running! I've gotten rid of them and gone back to AVG 7.5 but that will no
> > longer be available after the end of the year so I'm looking for a simple
> > anti-virus program to go along with Windows Defender. I've used McAffee and
> > Norton over the years and don't care the invasiveness and computer resource
> > hogging. Do you use avast on your pc and do you like it? I'm no computer
> > whiz and I hate programs that ask me what to do with each thing they find; I
> > generally have no idea!
> >
> > xiowan.........in tucson
> >
> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that yesterday was not only "superTuesday" for the monthly MSFT
> > > updates but also for NVidia (new GeForce drivers) and Avast antivirus
> > > New version is 4.8.1195 and the changelog can be found here:
> > > Free home edition here:
> > > Professional edition here:
> > >
> > > Please note that this is a "kernel" update and not just a simple virus
> > > definitions update.
> > >
> > > Carlos

xiowan

Hello "Colin Barnhorst":
Thanks for the reply. It's always reassuring to learn that an
application is being used and liked by folks like you and Carlos who post so
many helpful answers in the newsgroups!

xiowan.........in tucson