Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > username and password

username and password

mmark751969

I have a 1750 router and a 3750 catalyst switch. I'm wondering how i
enable username and password prompting for telnet and console level
access. Thanks

Doug McIntyre

mmark751969 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have a 1750 router and a 3750 catalyst switch. I'm wondering how i
>enable username and password prompting for telnet and console level
>access. Thanks

aaa new-model

but you definately want to setup your AAA lists at the same time!
Its important to have those defined before you exist out, or you may
lock yourself out altogether.

jason.herrick@gmail.com

On May 13, 8:59*pm, mmark751969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a 1750 router and a 3750 catalyst switch. *I'm wondering how i
> enable username and password prompting for telnet and console level
> access. *Thanks

First you'll need to create usernames and passwords using the username
command (e.g. username routeradmin privilege 15 password
routerAdminPass0. The privilige command gives the username
administrative privileges (priv 1 is user and priv 15 is admin and
privs 2 through 14 are customizable).

Second you instruct the console and telnet virtual terminals to use
local for authentication using the login command.

Example

line con 0
login local
line vty 0 4
login local

This configuration tells the router and switch to use the local
account database for usernames and passwords. The better idea would
be to implement RADIUS or TACACS+ but that's a bit more complex and
requires a RADIUS or TACACS+ server.

Merv

better to use

username <username> secret <password>