Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection keeps dropping

Wireless connection keeps dropping

Duncan Jones

Hi,

I'm running windows XP and my wireless connection keeps disconnecting.
A message balloon pops up saying something like "could not connect to
wireless network". The only way to solve this is to click "repair",
which manages to reconnect it every time.

The Linksys support suggests it may be 2.4Ghz interference, but I've
tried switching channels on the router to no avail. It keeps
disconnecting irregularly during the day.

Any ideas of how to solve this?? I'm letting XP handle this wireless
connection, so I'm not using any linksys software... It just seems
odd that repairing the connection works every time - why can't XP do
that automatically?

Thanks in advance,

Duncan Jones

(using a LinkSys WUSB54G network adaptor)

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=

Make sure IEEE authentication is NOT checked.

"=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Make sure IEEE authentication is NOT checked.
>
> "Duncan Jones" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running windows XP and my wireless connection keeps disconnecting.
> > A message balloon pops up saying something like "could not connect to
> > wireless network". The only way to solve this is to click "repair",
> > which manages to reconnect it every time.
> >
> > The Linksys support suggests it may be 2.4Ghz interference, but I've
> > tried switching channels on the router to no avail. It keeps
> > disconnecting irregularly during the day.
> >
> > Any ideas of how to solve this?? I'm letting XP handle this wireless
> > connection, so I'm not using any linksys software... It just seems
> > odd that repairing the connection works every time - why can't XP do
> > that automatically?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Duncan Jones
> >
> > (using a LinkSys WUSB54G network adaptor)

Ok, I've had a look at that at it wasn't checked in the first place.
Any other suggestions?

Ted

"Duncan Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I'm running windows XP and my wireless connection keeps disconnecting.
> A message balloon pops up saying something like "could not connect to
> wireless network". The only way to solve this is to click "repair",
> which manages to reconnect it every time.
>
> The Linksys support suggests it may be 2.4Ghz interference, but I've
> tried switching channels on the router to no avail. It keeps
> disconnecting irregularly during the day.
>
> Any ideas of how to solve this?? I'm letting XP handle this wireless
> connection, so I'm not using any linksys software... It just seems
> odd that repairing the connection works every time - why can't XP do
> that automatically?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Duncan Jones
>
> (using a LinkSys WUSB54G network adaptor)

I switched to a Zonet ZEW2500P from my Linksys WUSB11 and no more disconnect
problems. Available at Newegg.com. Only $27.
Tec

WLW

You may want to take a look at

http://www.ezine.com/QandA/NoWireless.shtml

Hope this helps,
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Duncan Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> Make sure IEEE authentication is NOT checked.
>>
>> "Duncan Jones" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm running windows XP and my wireless connection keeps disconnecting.
>> > A message balloon pops up saying something like "could not connect to
>> > wireless network". The only way to solve this is to click "repair",
>> > which manages to reconnect it every time.
>> >
>> > The Linksys support suggests it may be 2.4Ghz interference, but I've
>> > tried switching channels on the router to no avail. It keeps
>> > disconnecting irregularly during the day.
>> >
>> > Any ideas of how to solve this?? I'm letting XP handle this wireless
>> > connection, so I'm not using any linksys software... It just seems
>> > odd that repairing the connection works every time - why can't XP do
>> > that automatically?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Duncan Jones
>> >
>> > (using a LinkSys WUSB54G network adaptor)
>> >

> Ok, I've had a look at that at it wasn't checked in the first place.
> Any other suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?dHVkZXNraQ==?=

I have a Linksys brand also and was having this trouble. I changed my
laptop(or the system that's wired) to a static IP address and this helped fix
it.