Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Prof. choice pocket cam?

Prof. choice pocket cam?

Mike Kendall

As a previous 35mm SLR user, I was aware that professional
photographers regarded several specific models of camera as worthy
pocket-size backups. For example, the Yashica T4.

Along these lines, what models are pro digital photographers tending
to carry these days as a backup pocket camera?

By "pocket" I mean something that can be carried relatively
inconspicuously in a pants pocket.

Thank you for any advice.

Mike Kendall

David J Taylor

Mike Kendall wrote:
> As a previous 35mm SLR user, I was aware that professional
> photographers regarded several specific models of camera as worthy
> pocket-size backups. For example, the Yashica T4.
>
> Along these lines, what models are pro digital photographers tending
> to carry these days as a backup pocket camera?
>
> By "pocket" I mean something that can be carried relatively
> inconspicuously in a pants pocket.
>
> Thank you for any advice.
>
> Mike Kendall

As a non-pro, I carry a black Panasonic TZ5 as a compact, but capable,
backup camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

David

SMS

irwell wrote:

> The new Sony W170, 28mm wide angle, optical viewfinder, instant
> focus when set to Infinity, 5x optical zoom. Superb PQ.

Do you have this camera? I told a relative to buy a Canon SD800 since at
the time it was the only model with a 28mm wide angle and optical
viewfinder, but she didn't act fast and now it's discontinued. I saw the
new Sony W170, with the only drawback being the memory stick memory
card, and thought this would be a good choice now, but there were no
reviews of it yet.