Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > To speed up FF

To speed up FF

ichucka

This was posted on another newsgroup that I kept but haven't tried yet.

You may need to disable IPV6.
To do this,in the address bar of FF type:
about:config
Then scroll down to network.dns.disable IPv6 and double click in it and
change it to "True"

While you are there, you might as well change 2 other network settings
to load pages faster.
Change network.http.pipelining to "True"
Change network.pipelining. maxrequests to 10 (default is 4)

Let me know if it helps.

ichucka

Miller wrote:
> *ichucka* wrote:
>> This was posted on another newsgroup that I kept but haven't tried yet.
>>
>> You may need to disable IPV6.

> [..snip..]
>> While you are there, you might as well change 2 other network settings
>> to load pages faster.

> [..snip..]
>> Let me know if it helps.

> So you ask us to test some settings in FF you don't wanna try yourself
> and maybe don't even know what they are really doing?
> Nice one!
>
> bye, Miller
>
> FYI: <(E-Mail Removed)>

Thanks for your negative self.
I actually haven't had time.
You may be one of the experts on this newsgroup that could discuss the
application before anybody tried it... but I doubt if technicalities are
your expertise. It may be "shooting the messager" is your speciality.

ichucka

Ed Mullen wrote:
> ichucka wrote:
>> Miller wrote:

>>> [..snip..]
>>> [..snip..]
>>>
>>> So you ask us to test some settings in FF you don't wanna try yourself
>>> and maybe don't even know what they are really doing?
>>> Nice one!
>>>
>>> bye, Miller
>>>
>>> FYI: <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Thanks for your negative self.
>> I actually haven't had time.
>> You may be one of the experts on this newsgroup that could discuss the
>> application before anybody tried it... but I doubt if technicalities
>> are your expertise. It may be "shooting the messager" is your speciality.

> So, his original criticism stands? Meaning, you advocated something you
> haven't yet tested yourself?
>

> Listen, if it was offered in the spirit of: "Don't know, haven't tried
> it, but here's what I read" well, ok.
>
> Clarify. Otherwise, I agree, it's risky business to just take "stuff"
> and implement it without any verification.

I actually don't see where I 'advocated' anything. I was passing on
something that I had read and I thought it might help a poster who was
looking to speed up the loading of his web pages. I don't.
You seem to be an "expert" so will it work?

Lukan

> I actually don't see where I 'advocated' anything. I was passing on
> something that I had read and I thought it might help a poster who was
> looking to speed up the loading of his web pages. I don't.
> You seem to be an "expert" so will it work?

If you don't know what you're talking about it's best not to give
advice. You could pass on a link and tell them that you don't have
experience in it perhaps.

- as the recent discussion here shows I followed that advice and my web
experience actually became SLOWER.

ichucka

Lukan wrote:
>> I actually don't see where I 'advocated' anything. I was passing on
>> something that I had read and I thought it might help a poster who was
>> looking to speed up the loading of his web pages. I don't.
>> You seem to be an "expert" so will it work?

> If you don't know what you're talking about it's best not to give
> advice. You could pass on a link and tell them that you don't have
> experience in it perhaps.
>
> - as the recent discussion here shows I followed that advice and my web
> experience actually became SLOWER.

"This was posted on another newsgroup that I kept but haven't tried yet."
I can't see how the above can be misconstrued as either "advocating" or
"advice"
But ur right, I won't bother trying to help others in future.
Are you all actually so aggressive on this newsgroup?

FoxWolfie Galen

On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:39:46 +1000, ichucka <ichuckatutai@poms> wrote:

> I actually don't see where I 'advocated' anything. I was passing on
> something that I had read and I thought it might help a poster who was
> looking to speed up the loading of his web pages. I don't.
> You seem to be an "expert" so will it work?

The pipelining usually causes more problems for people than it solves. Few
people seem to notices much if any increase it speed, and it does not work
with some sites. Site heavy on graphics and video sometimes will load much
slower, or not finnish loading at all with pipelining on. The reported
problems tend to be worse as the number of connections is increased.

Whether IPV6 is turned on in Firefox or not, you are still likely not using
it, so it will make no difference to turn it off in about:config. Unless
your OS supports it, and any routers or modems you have support it, Firefox
will use IPV4, and is already fast. Generally, if you don't know what IPV6
is, you probably don't yet have it, so the setting in Firefox will do
nothing for you. If you do have IPV6 access, then turning it off might
increase your speed in some cases. If your router doesn't say it supports
IPV6, then nothing you can do with the setting in Firefox will make a
difference, as it would only see IPV4 and use that.

My opinion is that you should always leave pipelining off and only toggle
the IPV6 setting if you know you have it and you are having problems. This
is one case where the defaults really are best for most of us.
--
FoxWolfie

ichucka

FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:39:46 +1000, ichucka <ichuckatutai@poms> wrote:
>
>> I actually don't see where I 'advocated' anything. I was passing on
>> something that I had read and I thought it might help a poster who was
>> looking to speed up the loading of his web pages. I don't.
>> You seem to be an "expert" so will it work?

> The pipelining usually causes more problems for people than it solves. Few
> people seem to notices much if any increase it speed, and it does not work
> with some sites. Site heavy on graphics and video sometimes will load much
> slower, or not finnish loading at all with pipelining on. The reported
> problems tend to be worse as the number of connections is increased.
>
> Whether IPV6 is turned on in Firefox or not, you are still likely not using
> it, so it will make no difference to turn it off in about:config. Unless
> your OS supports it, and any routers or modems you have support it, Firefox
> will use IPV4, and is already fast. Generally, if you don't know what IPV6
> is, you probably don't yet have it, so the setting in Firefox will do
> nothing for you. If you do have IPV6 access, then turning it off might
> increase your speed in some cases. If your router doesn't say it supports
> IPV6, then nothing you can do with the setting in Firefox will make a
> difference, as it would only see IPV4 and use that.
>
> My opinion is that you should always leave pipelining off and only toggle
> the IPV6 setting if you know you have it and you are having problems. This
> is one case where the defaults really are best for most of us.

Thank you,

Lukan

> "This was posted on another newsgroup that I kept but haven't tried yet."
> I can't see how the above can be misconstrued as either "advocating" or
> "advice"
> But ur right, I won't bother trying to help others in future.
> Are you all actually so aggressive on this newsgroup?

Yes.

**** off.

ichucka

Lukan wrote:
>> "This was posted on another newsgroup that I kept but haven't tried yet."
>> I can't see how the above can be misconstrued as either "advocating"
>> or "advice"
>> But ur right, I won't bother trying to help others in future.
>> Are you all actually so aggressive on this newsgroup?

> Yes.
>
> **** off.

hahahah gotcha

ichucka

> I'm occupied with Mozillas since nearly 3 Years now. So i think i can
> tell some worthy tips apart from useless not-clarified tips.
> cu, Miller

Good for you Miller.
Shame you don't have the knowledge of someone like FowWolfie Galen isn't it.

> BTW: If you're trying to help Lukan <(E-Mail Removed)>, why don't
> you simply post into his thread?

See theres your problem, you think you know whats going, what other
people are doing, saying, etc... and you jump in and judge others on
your own behavior.
FYI I was I was responding to a post by > http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

So relax and stop continuing this thread because someone who knows a
little bit more that sweet aggressive you, has explained the situation
so that even those without your "nearly 3 Years" occupation with
Mozillas, can understand.