Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > The Msdia80.dll file in wrong partitition

The Msdia80.dll file in wrong partitition

xiowan

Hi all:
I want to replace a 250 GB hard drive with a larger capacity drive but
after transferring all the recorded tv in the recorded tv file on the drive,
I am left with a Msdia80.dll file on the same partition that is apparently
installed in the wrong place. It is part of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
Redistributable Package I think. I did not download and install this package
but I think it might have been part of either Vista x64 SP1 or more likely
part of AVGFree 8.0. which I have since uninstalled thru the control panel
because it caused 100% cpu usage during scans of my C: drive on a Q6600 cpu!
Most likely just deleting the Msdia80.dll file will cause all sorts of
problems? I Googled for info about the misplaced dll file and Microsoft has
a hotfix for the problem.........but it only if the dll file is in the wrong
folder on the boot drive. This dll is on a storage drive which only had a
recorded tv folder in one partition and another partition (D which contains
a 40GB "complete PC Backup" set up with Vista Ultimate. I really don't know
what programs use Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package but I am
wondering if I would have all sorts of problems if I just uninstalled that
package and the dll in the wrong folder would disappear or I could safefly
delete it then? My other software programs that may/or may not need
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package are Adobe Flash Player,
Adobe Reader AVG Free 7.5, Microsoft Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office
system, Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Microsoft Reader and MSXML 4.0 SP2
and MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK. So............should I just uninstall
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package and Visual C++Runtime Setup
Package (x64) shown in my programs list to get rid of the misplaced dll and
if that doesn't do it, then try to delete it? It isn't causing any problems
other than keeping me from replacing the drive it's on. I could leave the
drive in the pc and keep using it but then I would have to buy and external
e-sata case for the new 1 TB drive since I have no more drive bays available.

xiowan...........in tucson

Carlos

Hi,
If you go the uninstall way and then notice that you need your C++ dll's
back, here you have direct links to the packages:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x64)

Carlos