Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > "Office" program?

"Office" program?

Bill and Margie

I am using a Dell Me puter. I cannot make an internet connection to MSN
and get a notice that I must have "Office" program to do so. When I was
running low on memory, I decided to delete some programs that I did not
(think) I needed; such as "Office". In doing so, I evidently also
deleted programs that were critical to getting on line with my provider.
Now am told that office program is not in my computer, therefore do not
have any way to get it back. Do I need a disc to reinstall Office and if
so, where can I get one? i will appreciate any help for this problem.
Bill

Paul

Bill and Margie wrote:
> I am using a Dell Me puter. I cannot make an internet connection to MSN
> and get a notice that I must have "Office" program to do so. When I was
> running low on memory, I decided to delete some programs that I did not
> (think) I needed; such as "Office". In doing so, I evidently also
> deleted programs that were critical to getting on line with my provider.
> Now am told that office program is not in my computer, therefore do not
> have any way to get it back. Do I need a disc to reinstall Office and if
> so, where can I get one? i will appreciate any help for this problem.
> Bill

When you buy a pre-built computer, there are a couple options.
If you read the instructions, they tell you to prepare "recovery CDs"
or the like. Preferably immediately, before you forget.
Those would be handy, if some day your hard drive died.
(And backing up your data on a second hard drive, helps
protect your data from an untimely loss. The recovery
CDs are just to put your OS and programs back. Data
must be protected by you, separately. And that includes
your email database, PST files or the like.)

In some cases, if you contact the company who made your computer,
they can provide the recovery media.

A third option, is a recovery partition on the hard drive. It is a
hidden place, that has a copy of the software that was on the computer.
By using that recovery partition, it is possible to blow away everything
on the C: drive and start over. That works as long as the hard drive
is still working, and what you are trying to correct, is some
overzealous deleting you did.

As far as "Office" packages go, some of them consist of

Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint.
A copy of "Outlook"

It is possible that "Outlook" is the program you were
using. More info on the two possible versions here.
There is "Outlook" and "Outlook Express" and they
aren't the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Outlook

Outlook can even be purchased separately. $88 or $120

Paul

tony sayer

>It is possible that "Outlook" is the program you were
>using. More info on the two possible versions here.
>There is "Outlook" and "Outlook Express" and they
>aren't the same thing.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Outlook
>
>Outlook can even be purchased separately. $88 or $120

Or theres Thunderbird ... much better and Free!...

--
Tony Sayer

Paul

tony sayer wrote:
>> It is possible that "Outlook" is the program you were
>> using. More info on the two possible versions here.
>> There is "Outlook" and "Outlook Express" and they
>> aren't the same thing.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Outlook
>>
>> Outlook can even be purchased separately. $88 or $120

> Or theres Thunderbird ... much better and Free!...

Sure. I use Thunderbird too (at least for posting this).
But the thing is, the OP probably wants access to his
existing email database. The KB has some suggestions,
but whether this is the right answer, might depend on
the OP's tolerance for experiments.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Outlook_Express

Paul