Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Pipelining / faster broadband

Pipelining / faster broadband

Lukan

I followed a websites advice for using FF with broadband, it said to
make FF faster do the following :

1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Type
“network.http” in the filter field, and change the following settings
(double-click on them to change them):
2. Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
3. Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
4. Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to 30. This will allow it
to make 30 requests at one time.

To be honest I didn't notice any difference, however over the past few
days I would swear that my YouTube videos are loading SLOWER.

- is there a possibility that this is making YouTube connections slower??

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Lukan wrote:
> I followed a websites advice for using FF with broadband, it said to
> make FF faster do the following :
>

> 1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Type
> “network.http” in the filter field, and change the following settings
> (double-click on them to change them):
> 2. Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
> 3. Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
> 4. Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to 30. This will allow it
> to make 30 requests at one time.
>
> To be honest I didn't notice any difference, however over the past few
> days I would swear that my YouTube videos are loading SLOWER.
>

> - is there a possibility that this is making YouTube connections slower??

yes!!!! Not all sites can handle pipelining.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

FoxWolfie Galen

On Mon, 12 May 2008 21:24:05 +1200, Lukan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I followed a websites advice for using FF with broadband, it said to
> make FF faster do the following :

I feel for the same trick a few years ago. Pipelining seems to have little
to no effect on about 90 percent of the sites I tried. If it is faster, it
is definitely not by enough to be noticed using my 7mbps broadband
connection. The remaining 10 percent were dreadfully slower, or did not
work properly at all. Some symptoms of non-working sites were pictures that
would load half-way then stop, or sites that would never officially finnish
would never stop. Sites with lots of pictures or video content tended to
slow down or fail the most. Turning pipelining off always caused normal
behavior to return, so I leave pipelining off.

The best way I know of to make Firefox faster is to turn off flash
animations on any sites where it is not specifically needed. This can most
easily be done using addons like FlashBlock or AdBlock Plus. It is by far
the most noticeable improvement in speed.

Another good way to keep the speed fast is to make sure that your download
manager is set to remove completed files from the download manager list
upon successful download. Never let the list of completed downloads build
up, as it can greatly impact Firefox' performance.

If you are on a fast broadband connection, there is probably no need for an
insanely huge disk cache. Some people actually set their cache to hundreds
of megs, then wonder why Firefox can take so long to fully close on their
system. Likewise, don't make your history any longer than you are likely to
ever use.
--
FoxWolfie

Lukan

Thanks for the replies. I changed everything back to normal (first two
"false", third one back to 4). After a day of being back to normal it
looks like it was definately slowing down my YouTube clips and other
streaming video sites.

enable pipelining on Firefox D Cheung Firefox 1 02-07-2005 12:42 PM
Pipelining tutorial wanted Andrea Campi VHDL 9 11-19-2004 05:04 AM
pipelining tulip VHDL 0 11-05-2004 05:35 AM
How to purposely make pipelining in Handel-C? Peggy VHDL 0 09-08-2004 01:15 AM
Pipelining in VHDL koko VHDL 2 04-29-2004 06:51 PM

Advertisments