Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Restart the computer from a local web page?

Reply
Thread Tools

Restart the computer from a local web page?

 
 
Mussemouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2008
Hi all.
Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
webpages.
What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon as
a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be run on
Windows computers )
No problem with that.
The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?

Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
much.

//Micke

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2008
Mussemouse wrote:
> Hi all.
> Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
> webpages.
> What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon as
> a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be run on
> Windows computers )
> No problem with that.
> The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
> page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
> computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?
>
> Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
> much.


Wow, you you really want a web page to do that! Not the role of of HTML,
try building a application! If this is a software installer there are
many out there with reboot after install options...Inno Setup (free)
comes to mind.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mussemouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2008
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Mussemouse wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
>> webpages.
>> What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon
>> as a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be
>> run on Windows computers )
>> No problem with that.
>> The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
>> page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
>> computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
>> much.

>
> Wow, you you really want a web page to do that! Not the role of of HTML,
> try building a application! If this is a software installer there are
> many out there with reboot after install options...Inno Setup (free)
> comes to mind.
>


Well it works. Kind of. If I place the shutdown.exe in the root of the USB
drive and call it with a simple <A href="shutdown.exe"> Sometext </a> It
only wants to download it. Not execute it.
Is there a simple easy way to get this working? I don't have nay purpose
with it really but I want to know. If I run a java script, ( Some one wrote
it a long time ago ) then I can do this but I can't find this script
anymore. And since all programming I can do is a little assembler and C it
is of no use in this case.
//Micke

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2008
Mussemouse wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Mussemouse wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>> Sorry for asking this but I try to figure out and learn about local
>>> webpages.
>>> What I would like to have is a autorun file that shows a web page as soon
>>> as a USB drive is inserted. That I made using shellexe.exe ( Just to be
>>> run on Windows computers )
>>> No problem with that.
>>> The problem is that when the user clicks on the restart button in the web
>>> page I would like to execute the program shutdown.exe to restart the
>>> computer... But I can't figure out how to make this happen?
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very
>>> much.

>> Wow, you you really want a web page to do that! Not the role of of HTML,
>> try building a application! If this is a software installer there are
>> many out there with reboot after install options...Inno Setup (free)
>> comes to mind.
>>

>
> Well it works. Kind of. If I place the shutdown.exe in the root of the USB
> drive and call it with a simple <A href="shutdown.exe"> Sometext </a> It
> only wants to download it. Not execute it.


It's called security. It was the major security flaw of IE to allow
executables to run automatically from a webpage link. With my default
browser SeaMonkey I will only have download as an option, as it should be.

> Is there a simple easy way to get this working? I don't have nay purpose
> with it really but I want to know. If I run a java script, ( Some one wrote
> it a long time ago ) then I can do this but I can't find this script
> anymore. And since all programming I can do is a little assembler and C it
> is of no use in this case.


You need an installer, not a webpage. Did you look up Inno Setup? Has an
IDE to lead you by the nose thorough the process...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Inno Setup - Google Search

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mussemouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2008
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search


Thanks I check this out.
Naturally it should not run as in IE it is as you say a security issue.
Seamonkey/Firefox only allows downloading as an option witch is as it
should be.
I know that IE have the choice to run the program and that is one thing I
want to test
//Micke

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mussemouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2008
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
> You need an installer, not a webpage. Did you look up Inno Setup? Has an
> IDE to lead you by the nose thorough the process...
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
> Inno Setup - Google Search
>


To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything on
the computer. Only restart it.
Should be possible from autorun with 'shellexec shutdown /r'
( Before I found out this /r I was almost crazy I wanted it to be -r but MS
is MS I guess )
But how to get a browser do that?? Well I have to keep on finding a
solution for it.

//Micke

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2008
Mussemouse wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> You need an installer, not a webpage. Did you look up Inno Setup? Has an
>> IDE to lead you by the nose thorough the process...
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
>> Inno Setup - Google Search
>>

>
> To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything on
> the computer. Only restart it.


Why? Why would anyone what a webpage to restart their computer? Now with
a software install *for Windows* it is often required...but if you are
not installing anything, then why?


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mussemouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2008
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything
>> on the computer. Only restart it.

>
> Why? Why would anyone what a webpage to restart their computer? Now with
> a software install *for Windows* it is often required...but if you are
> not installing anything, then why?
>
>

I don't want a web page to do this. I want a local web page on a USB drive
to do this. Plug in the USB drive, Autorun ( almost at least ) so a web
page shows up. On this web page click on a link that points to a program on
the USB drive to restart the computer.
A very simple task. But as it seems almost impossible.
If I can from a Script eject the CD-Drive, Change the graphics. and so on
why is it so impossible to restart the computer?
I can do it from a remote server/workstation. But not from a local USB
Drive? Why is it so?

I am just curios nothing else. No reason to do it only want to do it. If
there has to be a reason for every action we take there wouldn't be much
done!

//Micke

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2008
Mussemouse wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> To bad that it doesn't do what I want. I don't want to install anything
>>> on the computer. Only restart it.

>> Why? Why would anyone what a webpage to restart their computer? Now with
>> a software install *for Windows* it is often required...but if you are
>> not installing anything, then why?
>>
>>

> I don't want a web page to do this. I want a local web page on a USB drive
> to do this. Plug in the USB drive, Autorun ( almost at least ) so a web
> page shows up. On this web page click on a link that points to a program on
> the USB drive to restart the computer.


Wrong tool. If you want something to restart your computer, create an
application. If you want to display information, structured, formatted
and have ir have the ability to link to other documents then use HTML.
Having HTML do things to your local system is a security risk. Where
have you been with all the press about drive-by installed malware and IE?

> A very simple task. But as it seems almost impossible.


For an application, but not for HTML.

> If I can from a Script eject the CD-Drive, Change the graphics. and so on
> why is it so impossible to restart the computer?


From an HTML document? I don't think so, not without ActiveX + IE and a
parade of warning dialog boxes...

> I can do it from a remote server/workstation. But not from a local USB
> Drive? Why is it so?


Repeat from above...USB drives are IT security headache as it is!

>
> I am just curios nothing else. No reason to do it only want to do it. If
> there has to be a reason for every action we take there wouldn't be much
> done!


Because if you could do it with an HTML document on a USB drive then it
could also be done from a webpage hosted from ANYWHERE. Having a system
from ANYWHERE make changes to YOUR system without your control is a "bad
thing" in most people's opinion.


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mussemouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2008
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>
> Wrong tool. If you want something to restart your computer, create an
> application. If you want to display information, structured, formatted
> and have ir have the ability to link to other documents then use HTML.
> Having HTML do things to your local system is a security risk. Where
> have you been with all the press about drive-by installed malware and IE?
>


That is the point! No installation. To get people to use the System I have
on the USB drive I need to reboot the computer. Most people are of some
reason so used to that the computer do the work for them that they can't
even read a simple instruction telling them to insert the USB drive and
then reboot the computer!

>> A very simple task. But as it seems almost impossible.

>
> For an application, but not for HTML.
>
>> If I can from a Script eject the CD-Drive, Change the graphics. and so on
>> why is it so impossible to restart the computer?

>
> From an HTML document? I don't think so, not without ActiveX + IE and a
> parade of warning dialog boxes...
>
>> I can do it from a remote server/workstation. But not from a local USB
>> Drive? Why is it so?

>
> Repeat from above...USB drives are IT security headache as it is!
>
>>
>> I am just curios nothing else. No reason to do it only want to do it.
>> If there has to be a reason for every action we take there wouldn't be
>> much done!

>
> Because if you could do it with an HTML document on a USB drive then it
> could also be done from a webpage hosted from ANYWHERE. Having a system
> from ANYWHERE make changes to YOUR system without your control is a "bad
> thing" in most people's opinion.
>
>

Naturally it is a bad thing.

//Micke

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Add domain user to local group via web application running under local admin account Chad Dressler ASP .Net 0 12-30-2006 01:27 AM
Restart Now - Restart Later another MickG Computer Support 14 04-24-2006 02:55 AM
XP restart vs msconfig restart Opsimath Computer Support 4 07-31-2005 02:58 PM
changing web.config need restart web application? =?Utf-8?B?c3Ryb3V0?= ASP .Net 1 04-30-2005 12:03 PM
touch root web.config, could we not restart the sub web application? Jiong Feng ASP .Net 3 04-30-2004 10:30 PM



Advertisments