Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Memory Increase for Vista Ultimate 64-bit?

Memory Increase for Vista Ultimate 64-bit?

Jim

The maximum memory one could have in Windows XP x64 was 4 GB per CPU.
In Vista Ultimate you can have 128 GB total. (I still have the same 2
CPUs and 8 GB of memory.)

Is there any advantage to add 8 more GB of memory to the 8 GB I
already have to make a total of 16 GB? I have a Tyan motherboard
which can accept up to 8, 2 GB DIMMs. I currently have 8 GB, so I
could add 4 more DIMMs.

I do not want to waste money, as I really want a new monitor, but I am
interested in the possibility of adding more memory if Windows would
really take advantage of it.

Thank you!

Jim

Charlie Russel - MVP

This depends _entirely_ on what kind of work you're doing and how your
computer is running. Windows can always use RAM - if it has no other use for
it, it will use it to increase your cache, keeping more things quickly
available in RAM instead of having to get them from your hard disk. But,
that being said, very few "knowledge workers" or others running typical
business tasks use or need more than 8 GB right now. OTOH, if you're doing
heavy graphics editing, or other memory intensive processes, you could
easily use more. If you're running VMs, you will use more.

Take a look at your running memory usage during a typical period. If it is
close to the actual available memory, then it's time to add more.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The maximum memory one could have in Windows XP x64 was 4 GB per CPU.
> In Vista Ultimate you can have 128 GB total. (I still have the same 2
> CPUs and 8 GB of memory.)
>
> Is there any advantage to add 8 more GB of memory to the 8 GB I
> already have to make a total of 16 GB? I have a Tyan motherboard
> which can accept up to 8, 2 GB DIMMs. I currently have 8 GB, so I
> could add 4 more DIMMs.
>
> I do not want to waste money, as I really want a new monitor, but I am
> interested in the possibility of adding more memory if Windows would
> really take advantage of it.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jim

S.SubZero

On May 11, 9:41*pm, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The maximum memory one could have in Windows XP x64 was 4 GB per CPU.
> In Vista Ultimate you can have 128 GB total. *(I still have the same 2
> CPUs and 8 GB of memory.)

Really?

This seems to imply (or rather, directly state) that 64-bit Windows XP
can use 128GB.

Charlie Russel - MVP

The maximum was (and is) 128 GB. OTOH, boards created at that point often
couldn't handle any where near that. So some mobo mfg's never managed to
update their BIOS to handle the really large memory configurations.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"S.SubZero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 11, 9:41 pm, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The maximum memory one could have in Windows XP x64 was 4 GB per CPU.
> In Vista Ultimate you can have 128 GB total. (I still have the same 2
> CPUs and 8 GB of memory.)

Really?

This seems to imply (or rather, directly state) that 64-bit Windows XP
can use 128GB.

Jim

On May 12, 12:22*am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This depends _entirely_ on what kind of work you're doing and how your
> computer is running. Windows can always use RAM - if it has no other use for
> it, it will use it to increase your cache, keeping more things quickly
> available in RAM instead of having to get them from your hard disk. But,
> that being said, very few "knowledge workers" or others running typical
> business tasks use or need more than 8 GB right now. OTOH, if you're doing
> heavy graphics editing, or other memory intensive processes, you could
> easily use more. If you're running VMs, you will use more.
>
> Take a look at your running memory usage during a typical period. If it is
> close to the actual available memory, then it's time to add more.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64http...charlie.russel

Hi Charlie,

I was hoping you would see my question and respond to it. Thank you!

I do not think I do anything which would require that much memory. I
just thought that, if Windows Vista itself was particularly "hungry"
for memory, I could give it more.

I think I am better off putting my money toward an HDCP compliant
monitor.

Thanks again!

Jim