Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?

Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?

Stan Shankman

Greetings all,

Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?

I searched "Microsoft. public" for "64-bit", and this group was found.
But because it did not specifically have the word "Vista" in the name, I
assume it is a Windows XP 64-bit group.
Does anyone know the best group for Vista 64-bit postings?

This brings up a small beef I have:
Namely, if one searches on the web for "Vista software", one often sees
"Vista compatible" mentioned (or some such phrasing), but rarely does one
find "Vista 32-bit compatible" and "Vista 64-bit compatible", and especially
"Vista 64-bit Native" listed under "system requirements".
Why do vendors so frequently fail to specify which *exact* platform there
software is intended to run on?

And now, I visit the Microsoft news server and here I seem to run into a
similar issue.

Drives me nuts . . .

- Stan

Jim

On May 11, 11:33*pm, "Stan Shankman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?
>
> I searched "Microsoft. public" for "64-bit", and this group was found.
> But because it did not specifically have the word "Vista" in the name, I
> assume it is a Windows XP 64-bit group.
> Does anyone know the best group for Vista 64-bit postings?

Stan,

This group definitely *started* as a Windows XP x64 group; but, I
think, some of us have migrated to Vista 64-bit. Originally Vista 64-
bit were sent to other groups, but not questions are being answered.

I can not speak for everybody in the group, however.

Jim

Charlie Russel - MVP

The groups designed intent was to cover all things, except dev issues,
around 64-bit Windows that were different from 32-bit Windows. So we cover
Server 2k3, Server 2k8, XP x64, Vista x64, and even Itanium sometimes.

If your question is about how your 64-bit version of Windows is different
from an equivalent 32-bit version, this is the place. If it's how Windows
Mail works and you happen to be running Vista 64, you're in the wrong
place - that's a question that's not specific to 64-bit.

All that being said, we try to answer when we know, but if we don't, we'll
suggest an alternative group that's a more appropriate fit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Stan Shankman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eyBWSl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings all,
>
> Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?
>
> I searched "Microsoft. public" for "64-bit", and this group was found.
> But because it did not specifically have the word "Vista" in the name, I
> assume it is a Windows XP 64-bit group.
> Does anyone know the best group for Vista 64-bit postings?
>
> This brings up a small beef I have:
> Namely, if one searches on the web for "Vista software", one often sees
> "Vista compatible" mentioned (or some such phrasing), but rarely does one
> find "Vista 32-bit compatible" and "Vista 64-bit compatible", and
> especially "Vista 64-bit Native" listed under "system requirements".
> Why do vendors so frequently fail to specify which *exact* platform there
> software is intended to run on?
>
> And now, I visit the Microsoft news server and here I seem to run into a
> similar issue.
>
> Drives me nuts . . .
>

> - Stan

Dominick

Jim wrote:
> On May 11, 11:33 pm, "Stan Shankman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> Is this a Windows XP 64-bit group? Or is it a Vista 64-bit group?
>>
>> I searched "Microsoft. public" for "64-bit", and this group was found.
>> But because it did not specifically have the word "Vista" in the name, I
>> assume it is a Windows XP 64-bit group.
>> Does anyone know the best group for Vista 64-bit postings?

> Stan,
>
> This group definitely *started* as a Windows XP x64 group; but, I
> think, some of us have migrated to Vista 64-bit. Originally Vista 64-
> bit were sent to other groups, but not questions are being answered.
>
> I can not speak for everybody in the group, however.
>
> Jim

I am only on Windows Server 2008 x64 now, the best workstation OS <g>,
so yes it seems to be ALL Windows x64 platforms.

Colin Barnhorst

It has been and remains a newsgroup for 64bit issues on all 64bit versions
of Windows, both 86_64 and IA64, including XP Pro x64, Windows Server 2003
and 2008 x64, and all Vista x64. It has never been an XP or Vista newsgroup
as such.

Most questions concerning Vista are not related to the bitness of the OS but
rather its features, functionalities, and usages and as such are best posted
the Vista ng that best addresses the subject.