Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xp can see nt but not vice versa?

xp can see nt but not vice versa?

KORISNIK

those 2 pcs isolated from LAN and connected with crossover
cable,firewalls down, manually assigned 192.168.1.100,101 and nt pc
account has some restrictions (however it operated internet ok while
it was connected in LAN) Now xp can see nt in workgroup but cant be
neither accesed,nor ftp-ed by nt (although it is seen in the same
workgroup)
Is perhaps dhcp on xp interfearing -should it be disabled at boot via
msconfig or is it smth else?

Chuck [MVP]

On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:05:08 -0700 (PDT), KORISNIK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>those 2 pcs isolated from LAN and connected with crossover
>cable,firewalls down, manually assigned 192.168.1.100,101 and nt pc
>account has some restrictions (however it operated internet ok while
>it was connected in LAN) Now xp can see nt in workgroup but cant be
>neither accesed,nor ftp-ed by nt (although it is seen in the same
>workgroup)
>Is perhaps dhcp on xp interfearing -should it be disabled at boot via
>msconfig or is it smth else?

I'd look for a personal firewall or other security component, interfering with
SMBs, first.
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ther-help.html

Then, I'd look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the
problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

why?

x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,24hoursuppo rt.helpdesk

On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:05:08 -0700 (PDT), KORISNIK wrote:

>those 2 pcs isolated from LAN and connected with crossover
>cable,firewalls down, manually assigned 192.168.1.100,101 and nt pc

Manually assigned 100 and 101, you have the same subnet mask and each PC
has it's own IP as the gateway or the gw is blank.

>account has some restrictions (however it operated internet ok while
>it was connected in LAN) Now xp can see nt in workgroup but cant be

Do you mean sharing between the PCs was okay when on the LAN?

Use the same workgroup name on both PCs.

You have the same account name/password on both PCs?

Seeing the name only in the workgroup list?

Ping via IPs to / from each PC works or fails?

>neither accesed,nor ftp-ed by nt (although it is seen in the same

You did create a share, to well share?

>workgroup)

FTP isn't a workgroup issue. Which PC is the FTP server?

What error / status message do you get when FTP doesn't work?

>Is perhaps dhcp on xp interfearing -should it be disabled at boot via

What DHCP? If you manually configured the IP addressing, that's all you
need. If you mean the DHCP Client service, then it's okay enabled and
running when the IP settings are static.

>msconfig or is it smth else?

Can't tell from here.

Me