Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Pro (Gold?) and SP3

XP Pro (Gold?) and SP3

ClueLess

Hi All

I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
either SP1 or SP2

I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.

Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.

Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
there is a problem.

Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.

Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.

--
Thanks for your time and attention

ClueLess

Big Al

ClueLess wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
> either SP1 or SP2
>
> I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
> fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
>
> Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
> with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
> update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
>
> Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
> there is a problem.
>
> Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
> new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
>
> Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx
This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the grain
of logic (to me at least).

But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

Colin Barnhorst

Correct. The blocker is programmed into the herald file that starts the
download of the main SP3 file on Windows Update. The standalone does not
contain the herald file and so does display a blocker.

Further, nLite works just fine. It does not know that it is creating a cd
that will install a defective OS. It just does what you tell it too.

The problems do not appear until you use the slipstreamed cd to install the
OS or repair it.

So don't use XP Gold to create an integrated XP SP3 cd. Just don't. The
SP1 and SP2 installers made certain changes to XP Gold kernel files quite
apart from any updates before or since. However, these changes are NOT done
by the SP3 installer. That means critical changes aren't made to XP Gold at
the time SP3 is applied that are made if you upgrade XP Gold to SP1 or SP2
and then use that as a base for slipstreaming with SP3.

I have no idea why MS did not provide for that in SP3 but they did say that
they did not during the SP3 beta program and said not to use XP Gold for
slipsteaming. I suppose it could have something to do with changes to XP's
servicing stack back around SP1 but I am just speculating.

Unfortunately, the SP3 beta newsgroups are no longer on the betanews servers
so I cannot go back and capture the quotes for you.

"ClueLess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
> either SP1 or SP2
>
> I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
> fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
>
> Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
> with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
> update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
>
> Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
> there is a problem.
>
> Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
> new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
>
> Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.
>
> --
> Thanks for your time and attention
>
> ClueLess

ANONYMOUS

The article you refer to is all about "INSTALLING Windows XP Service
Pack 3 (SP3)". The operative word is Installing here NOT SLIPSTREAMING
or EMBEDDING.

I have done it and it does install without problems. The only
difference is that you need to provide the product key during
installation procedure rather than have the option to defer entering it
after it is complete.

hth

Big Al wrote:

> ClueLess wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
>> either SP1 or SP2
>>
>> I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
>> fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
>>
>> Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
>> with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
>> update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
>>
>> Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
>> there is a problem.
>>
>> Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
>> new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
>>
>> Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.
>>

> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx
> This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
> recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the
> grain of logic (to me at least).
>
> But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

Huck

ANONYMOUS wrote:
> The article you refer to is all about "INSTALLING Windows XP Service
> Pack 3 (SP3)". The operative word is Installing here NOT
> SLIPSTREAMING or EMBEDDING.
>
> I have done it and it does install without problems. The only
> difference is that you need to provide the product key during
> installation procedure rather than have the option to defer entering
> it after it is complete.

Slipstreaming SP3 RTM using the original release of Windows XP worked fine
for me as well. Some have reported doing the same SP3 slipstream under
Windows Vista can result in issues.

Frank-FL

"Big Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsZDVj.3527$5b3.360@trnddc05...
> ClueLess wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
>> either SP1 or SP2
>>
>> I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
>> fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
>>
>> Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
>> with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
>> update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
>>
>> Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
>> there is a problem.
>>
>> Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
>> new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
>>
>> Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.
>>

> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx
> This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
> recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the grain
> of logic (to me at least).
>
> But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

This page says different.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ng=en#filelist

Bob I

Frank-FL wrote:

> "Big Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsZDVj.3527$5b3.360@trnddc05...
>
>>ClueLess wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All
>>>
>>>I see many posts stating that SP3 can be installed only after applying
>>>either SP1 or SP2
>>>
>>>I have already successfully slipstreamed SP3 on XP-SP2 and made a
>>>fresh install which went smoothly, no problems.
>>>
>>>Today I tried with my original XP Pro (Retail) and the slipstreaming
>>>with nLite went without any warning or hitch. That means, AFAICS,
>>>update.exe did not check whether XP was with either SP1 or SP2.
>>>
>>>Since I have no spare hard disk I did not try to install it and see if
>>>there is a problem.
>>>
>>>Having slipstreamed I believe there should be no problem. I will get a
>>>new hard disk and install this weekend and come back.
>>>
>>>Meantime if anyone has more information please respond.
>>>

>>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx
>>This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
>>recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the grain
>>of logic (to me at least).
>>
>>But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

> This page says different.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ng=en#filelist

BUT, if you actually read the contents of one the files at the link you
posted, it says:

Fundamentally, deploying Windows XP SP3 works the same as deploying SP1
and SP2 for Windows XP:
- SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1
or SP2.
- Windows XP SP3 supports the same languages as Windows XP did in its
initial release.
- You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1 or
SP2. For example, you can
run the SP3 update package on a computer running the Windows XP Media
Center Edition with SP1. The
exceptions are Embedded editions for XP wh
Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Frank-FL"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This page says different.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ng=en#filelist

The deployment section is clear that upgrading from SP1 and SP2 is
supported:

"SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1 or
SP2." and "You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows
XP SP1 or SP2"

I skimmed and didn't see anything about XP RTM, either for or against.

Big Al

Bob I wrote:

> Frank-FL wrote:
>
>> "Big Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsZDVj.3527$5b3.360@trnddc05...

>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx
>>> This article says you have to have SP1 at least. And oddly it
>>> recommends SP2 installed. But that now runs totally against the
>>> grain of logic (to me at least).
>>>
>>> But I'd sure like to see it in more plain English like you said.

>> This page says different.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ng=en#filelist
>>

> BUT, if you actually read the contents of one the files at the link you
> posted, it says:
>
> Fundamentally, deploying Windows XP SP3 works the same as deploying SP1
> and SP2 for Windows XP:
> - SP3 is cumulative, so users can install SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1
> or SP2.
> - Windows XP SP3 supports the same languages as Windows XP did in its
> initial release.
> - You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1 or
> SP2. For example, you can
> run the SP3 update package on a computer running the Windows XP Media
> Center Edition with SP1. The
> exceptions are Embedded editions for XP wh
> Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

And the key words are "on top of Windows XP SP1 or SP2".
Not on top of XP.

Bob I

Correctamundo!!!