Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: How to break out of a loop?

Re: How to break out of a loop?

Roland de Ruiter

On 11-5-2008 9:17, Tony Raven wrote:
> I am caught on a webpage that throws up an authorisation window for an
> ftp link that requires a username and password. While that window is
> open I cannot do anything with Firefox - change tabs, close them or even
> close Firefox. If I click OK or Cancel or just close the box I get
> instantaneously another Alert box saying "530 Sorry no ANONYMOUS access
> allowed". While that box is open I still can't do anything with
> Firefox. If I click Cancel or close the Alert box, the Authorisation
> box instantaneously replaces it and I am back where I started. The only
> way I have found out of it is to shut down Firefox from the Task Manager
> but there must be another way out - isn't there? What I really would
> like to do is shut down the one tab causing the problem but I can't.
>
> It opens without problems in IE7
>
> If you want to try it the offending web page is
> http://www.leohostel.com/index_files/leotours.htm

The page contains a couple of images (15 or so) hosted on an ftp site
(<ftp://hd6010898.ourhost.cn/index_files/image763.gif>). Apparently
these images can't be accessed without the proper username and password.
A case of a badly designed and / or improperly tested web page.

If your patient enough and close each of those dialogs (15 * 2) you will
eventually "break out of the loop". You could use the Escape key to
close a dialog window (at least a Windows OS); this is probably quicker
than clicking on a button with your mouse.
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

On 11-5-2008 13:03, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
> On 11-5-2008 9:17, Tony Raven wrote:
>> I am caught on a webpage that throws up an authorisation window for an
>> ftp link that requires a username and password. While that window is
>> open I cannot do anything with Firefox - change tabs, close them or
>> even close Firefox. If I click OK or Cancel or just close the box I
>> get instantaneously another Alert box saying "530 Sorry no ANONYMOUS
>> access allowed". While that box is open I still can't do anything
>> with Firefox. If I click Cancel or close the Alert box, the
>> Authorisation box instantaneously replaces it and I am back where I
>> started. The only way I have found out of it is to shut down Firefox
>> from the Task Manager but there must be another way out - isn't
>> there? What I really would like to do is shut down the one tab
>> causing the problem but I can't.
>>
>> It opens without problems in IE7
>>
>> If you want to try it the offending web page is
>> http://www.leohostel.com/index_files/leotours.htm
>>

> The page contains a couple of images (15 or so) hosted on an ftp site
> (<ftp://hd6010898.ourhost.cn/index_files/image763.gif>). Apparently
> these images can't be accessed without the proper username and password.
> A case of a badly designed and / or improperly tested web page.
>
> If your patient enough

s/your/you're/
> and close each of those dialogs (15 * 2) you will
> eventually "break out of the loop". You could use the Escape key to
> close a dialog window (at least a Windows OS); this is probably quicker
> than clicking on a button with your mouse.

Ironically, on their front page, <http://www.leohostel.com/>, there's
the following message:
PAGE NOT LOADING FULLY? ASKED FOR A PASSWORD? YOU NEED TO VIEW THIS SITE
WITH MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER...

Even in IE7 the page OP mentioned doesn't show up properly (red crosses
indicating missing images).

FWIW, I've reported the site with Firefox' Help > Report Broken Web
Site... utility.
--
Regards,

Roland