Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Book advice: a step after K&R

Re: Book advice: a step after K&R

gert.vierman@gmail.com

On May 11, 11:33 am, nembo kid <nembo@kid> wrote:
> Which book do you suggest after K&R?
> Thanks in advance

Deep C Secrets - Peter van der Linden
C Unleashed - Richard Heathfield

gert.vierman@gmail.com

On May 11, 12:48 pm, nembo kid <nembo@kid> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
>
> > Deep C Secrets - Peter van der Linden
> > C Unleashed - Richard Heathfield

> Order matters?

Both books serve a different purpose: the first is a fine read
discussing common pitfalls and issues you might run into when using C
in practice (why pointers are not arrays, linking, etc) and has some
nice examples of true historical C accidents. The latter is a pretty
complete bible discussing a lot of different algorithms implemented
and C and has some good real-life examples with complete programs.
Richard Heathfield is a regular poster on c.l.c. as well, probably
happy to help you out with any questions you might have about the
book. (If he's not too busy handling spinoza1111's flames)

gert.vierman@gmail.com

On May 11, 12:48 pm, nembo kid <nembo@kid> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
>
> > Deep C Secrets - Peter van der Linden
> > C Unleashed - Richard Heathfield

> Order matters?

Both books serve a different purpose: the first is a fine read
discussing
common pitfalls and issues you might run into when using C in practice
(why
pointers are not arrays, linking, etc) and has some nice examples of
true
historical C accidents. The latter is a pretty complete bible
discussing a lot
of different algorithms implemented and C and has some good real-life
examples
with complete programs. Richard Heathfield is a regular poster on
c.l.c. as
well, probably happy to help you out with any questions you might have
about
the book. (If he's not too busy handling spinoza1111's flames)

Eligiusz Narutowicz

> On May 11, 11:33 am, nembo kid <nembo@kid> wrote:
>> Which book do you suggest after K&R?
>> Thanks in advance

> Deep C Secrets - Peter van der Linden
> C Unleashed - Richard Heathfield

C Unleashed is not very good like K&R I think. It is disjoint as it is a
collection of work from many people. Also it is not printed anymore
because it was not popular enough.

Step By Step Instructions Glenallan Wireless Networking 15 12-29-2004 12:13 AM
can somebody guide me through this step by step? Taquin Noel Wireless Networking 5 12-26-2004 01:31 AM
asp.net step by step book Jaime MCSD 5 10-23-2003 01:35 AM
Re: Office XP Step by Step Interactive Training Jeffrey W. Roach Microsoft Certification 2 07-13-2003 11:25 PM
step by step loading a design into flash with nios excalibur jaap de verwant slachter VHDL 0 07-01-2003 01:02 PM

Advertisments