Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > vista Ultimate - yuck

vista Ultimate - yuck

cgimofo

i'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times before... but we're having
major issues with a Vista machine lol. this OS has spawned from Satan's
underpants. our studio had to install 64-bit Vista Ultimate as we
couldn't get X64 any more... and its a couple months before we're
rolling out suse.

anyway is there anyway to tell Vista NOT to block our network apps from
running when windows starts ...? i checked the help but it says i will
need to enable them every boot-up, which is mental..... we run render
nodes without monitors etc...

Dave Doe

In article <fvqs67$qht$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> i'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times before... but we're having
> major issues with a Vista machine lol. this OS has spawned from Satan's
> underpants. our studio had to install 64-bit Vista Ultimate as we
> couldn't get X64 any more... and its a couple months before we're
> rolling out suse.
>
> anyway is there anyway to tell Vista NOT to block our network apps from
> running when windows starts ...? i checked the help but it says i will
> need to enable them every boot-up, which is mental..... we run render
> nodes without monitors etc...

You can make the apps "run as" an admin account, or you can turn off UAC
completely.

--
Duncan

EMB

Dave Doe wrote:
> You can make the apps "run as" an admin account, or you can turn off UAC
> completely.

Turning off UAC removes most of the Vista headaches.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <482176f4$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB did write:

> Turning off UAC removes most of the Vista headaches.

And throws away much of the point of upgrading to Vista in the first place.

Nathan Mercer

On May 7, 12:31*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <fvqs67$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> > i'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times before... but we're having
> > major issues with a Vista machine lol. *this OS has spawned from Satan's
> > underpants. *our studio had to install 64-bit Vista Ultimate as we
> > couldn't get X64 any more... and its a couple months before we're
> > rolling out suse.

> > anyway is there anyway to tell Vista NOT to block our network apps from
> > running when windows starts ...? *i checked the help but it says i will
> > need to enable them every boot-up, which is mental..... we run render
> > nodes without monitors etc...

> You can make the apps "run as" an admin account, or you can turn off UAC
> completely.
>
> --
> Duncan

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930367

Will Spencer

On Wed, 07 May 2008 23:37:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <482176f4$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB did write:
>
>> Turning off UAC removes most of the Vista headaches.

> And throws away much of the point of upgrading to Vista in the first place.

He's heard it 100 times before but he still chose Vista over Linux.

I guess that means if Vista is yuck then Linux is puke.

-ws

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 07 May 2008 18:10:34 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
><snip - stuff>
>
>Don't ya just love the way Micro$oft's employees have to keep propping up
>Micro$oft its rubbish?

Unfair. Nathan usually contributes useful and helpful comments. He's allowed
an off day occasionally, as are we all.
And the good news is, we know his biases - he's never hidden behind nyms.