Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > extremely low bandwidth, is it just my isp?

extremely low bandwidth, is it just my isp?

blanking

I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup or
worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does not
buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for
everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my isp but
would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get close to
dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a
problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a common
example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was filled
with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that is
the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.

RL

blanking wrote:
> I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup or
> worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
> really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
> with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does not
> buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for
> everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my isp but
> would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get close to
> dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a
> problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a common
> example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
> unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
> assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was filled
> with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that is
> the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.

There are apparently major issues with clear.net and paradise.net
(Telstraclear) according to the status page, and Ihug is buggered too. I
was getting speeds of under 10kBs^-1 for two downloads. I gave up, since
when things get that bad, data corruption seems to become more of a
problem, and I didn't want to wait another two hours to turn the PC off.

Right now I am looking for a new ISP, but prices have gone up, quality
and caps have gone down. Where is WiMax? It's been trialed for two years
now, and it still isn't wideley deployed. The idiotic unbundling idea
has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
any time soon.

RL

blanking

"RL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fvmj4m$9i1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> blanking wrote:
>> I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup
>> or worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
>> really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
>> with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does
>> not buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into
>> nz for everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my
>> isp but would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get
>> close to dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to
>> having a problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would
>> be a common example for people to easily compare with, needless to say
>> youtube is unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps
>> to the assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup
>> was filled with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the
>> exchange that is the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running
>> at over 3000 kbps.

> There are apparently major issues with clear.net and paradise.net
> (Telstraclear) according to the status page, and Ihug is buggered too. I
> was getting speeds of under 10kBs^-1 for two downloads. I gave up, since
> when things get that bad, data corruption seems to become more of a
> problem, and I didn't want to wait another two hours to turn the PC off.
>
> Right now I am looking for a new ISP, but prices have gone up, quality and
> caps have gone down. Where is WiMax? It's been trialed for two years now,
> and it still isn't wideley deployed. The idiotic unbundling idea has cost
> us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper any time
> soon.
>
> RL

This has been a problem for quite sometime for me, not just an intermittent
thing, it has consistently been happening for a longtime, longer than I can
remember right now. I presume the problems you refer to with clear etc... is
just a recent and temporary one, certainly my isp never has any network
problems reported that explain my problem and of course the help desk
response is denial and pass the buck.
Needless to say I am looking for a new isp too but easier said than done
since finding out the realworld performance before signing up seems near
impossible, it seems very difficult to find reliable user feedback.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fvmj4m$9i1$(E-Mail Removed)>, RL did write:

> The idiotic unbundling idea
> has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
> any time soon.

There was never any serious wired alternative to the existing local loop.
That's why the unbundling decision was taken. That's commonly been the
strategy overseas.

As for a wireless alternative, I don't think that's had much success
overseas either, other than for mobile use.

blanking

"Collector€NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:481ed7c7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> blanking wrote:
>> "RL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fvmj4m$9i1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> There are apparently major issues with clear.net and paradise.net
>>> (Telstraclear) according to the status page, and Ihug is buggered too. I
>>> was getting speeds of under 10kBs^-1 for two downloads. I gave up, since
>>> when things get that bad, data corruption seems to become more of a
>>> problem, and I didn't want to wait another two hours to turn the PC off.
>>>
>>> Right now I am looking for a new ISP, but prices have gone up, quality
>>> and caps have gone down. Where is WiMax? It's been trialed for two years
>>> now, and it still isn't wideley deployed. The idiotic unbundling idea
>>> has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
>>> any time soon.
>>>
>>> RL

>> This has been a problem for quite sometime for me, not just an
>> intermittent thing, it has consistently been happening for a longtime,
>> longer than I can remember right now. I presume the problems you refer to
>> with clear etc... is just a recent and temporary one, certainly my isp
>> never has any network problems reported that explain my problem and of
>> course the help desk response is denial and pass the buck.
>> Needless to say I am looking for a new isp too but easier said than done
>> since finding out the realworld performance before signing up seems near
>> impossible, it seems very difficult to find reliable user feedback.

> Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
>
> I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of issues
> currently with clear and xtra

xnet, how about you?

EMB

blanking wrote:
> "Collector€NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:481ed7c7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> blanking wrote:
>>> "RL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:fvmj4m$9i1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> This has been a problem for quite sometime for me, not just an
>>> intermittent thing, it has consistently been happening for a longtime,
>>> longer than I can remember right now. I presume the problems you refer to
>>> with clear etc... is just a recent and temporary one, certainly my isp
>>> never has any network problems reported that explain my problem and of
>>> course the help desk response is denial and pass the buck.
>>> Needless to say I am looking for a new isp too but easier said than done
>>> since finding out the realworld performance before signing up seems near
>>> impossible, it seems very difficult to find reliable user feedback.

>> Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
>>
>> I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of issues
>> currently with clear and xtra

> xnet, how about you?

Read the forums at geekzone - there are issues. That said, I'm getting
pretty consistent 2Mb/s downloads ex the UK via xnet during the evening.

blanking

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:481ee7d9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> blanking wrote:
>> "Collector€NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:481ed7c7$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
>>>
>>> I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of
>>> issues currently with clear and xtra

>> xnet, how about you?

> Read the forums at geekzone - there are issues. That said, I'm getting
> pretty consistent 2Mb/s downloads ex the UK via xnet during the evening.

I already did but as this is a ongoing longterm problem with xnet I wanted
to know if others were experiencing similar problems with other isp's or
not, I find with xnet that they finally get more bandwidth and then no
sooner are things going ok than they go down hill again as they sign up more
subscribers without buying more bandwidth, because of this xnet has ongoing
bad performance with brief respites. Of course they deny all of this and
pass the buck but it is really obvious what is going on no matter what they
say. So all that said i see no hope for good performance from xnet in the
forseeable future. Are there any isps that buy enough bandwidth to cover
current use and short term further expansion so they are not in bandwidth
debt all the time?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "blanking" typed:
> I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting
> dialup or worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night,
> what I would really like to know though is if this is what other
> people are putting up with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to
> me either that my isp does not buy enough bandwidth or there is
> insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for everyone, I suspect the
> level of my speed problems is due to my isp but would love to hear
> how others are getting on. As an example I get close to dialup or
> worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a problem
> with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a common
> example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
> unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
> assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was
> filled with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the
> exchange that is the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are
> running at over 3000 kbps.

I have no trouble streaming youtube at any time of the day. Bandwidth is a
little less between 5pm and 9pm but it's still more than adequate. From a
good server I can get my full 2M any hour of the day. (Actrix Cyberjet
although they don't offer the plan I'm on anymore. [2M/128kbps 1GB/day]).
--
Shaun.

RL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <fvmj4m$9i1$(E-Mail Removed)>, RL did write:
>
>> The idiotic unbundling idea
>> has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
>> any time soon.

> There was never any serious wired alternative to the existing local loop.
> That's why the unbundling decision was taken. That's commonly been the
> strategy overseas.
>
> As for a wireless alternative, I don't think that's had much success
> overseas either, other than for mobile use.

What we need is alternatives, wireless and wired. The Resource
Management Act is a major obsticle to putting in another wired network.

RL

blanking

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:18:01 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
>
>>I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup
>>or
>>worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
>>really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
>>with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does
>>not
>>buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for
>>everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my isp but
>>would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get close to
>>dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a
>>problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a
>>common
>>example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
>>unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
>>assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was filled
>>with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that is
>>the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.
>>

> What you pay for is your Internet connection - no ISP provides any
> speed guarantee therefore you are always getting what you paid for
> regardless of speed. If your speeds are not much better than dial-up
> then clearly you should consider returning to dial-up if this is
> acceptable and cheaper than your current broadband ISP.
>
> As I understand it, from your modem/router your physical connection is
> routed to a Telecom Exchange and then through Telecom-provided
> 'backhaul' to your ISP. All Telecom services are shared amongst all
> broadband users. Therefore, logically, if the exchange that you are
> connected to has a high number of broadband users and Telecom has not
> provisioned enough onward bandwidth to the various ISPs then
> throughput will suffer regardless of ISP or connection speed. LLU
> allows for the possibility of your ISP being able to connect directly.
>
> Wireless broadband has not taken off for whatever reasons - meaning
> that fixed-line broadband is still popular where wireless broadband is
> available.
>
> Crash.

This sounds just like the sort of response I would expect from some isp's,
hmm your identity is totally hidden, I wonder.
I already explained why it is not the exchange that is the problem, I see
you conveniently ignored this fact, this is just the sort of response i have
encountered when ringing the isp, like I said before, it's all denial and
buck passing, no responsibility in which case I don't know what the isp
things I am paying for, exactly what is the service that they provide if
they are not responsible for any of this, is a call centre the only thing
the isp provides, is this all we are paying them for, it's all a bloody joke
it seems.
As for your first paragraph, not sure what your point is, just sounds like
some nonsensical defensive response to me.