Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HDD bargain of the year?

HDD bargain of the year?

~misfit~

http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/CP/HDD/SATA/H1008.html

I got one of these yesterday. Who needs food when HDDs are that price? These
little babies really perform too:

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1209772832.jpg

(Ignore the dip in the graph, I did something I/O intensive while the test
was running, it wasn't there on the previous run.)

Now I have two of them, with OS and programmes on different drives. The
difference is really noticable, even when compared with my previous 12 month
old Seagate SATA II 320GB drive:

http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1209773053.jpg

I'm impressed. At $125 including GST it works out at 25 cents/GB (and $30
less than I paid for the 320). However, they're flying out the door at that
price so ring or email before going there if you're going to pick one up,
get them to hold one for you if needed. Or just order it and have it
delivered. They're getting them in from Ingram Micro twice a day at the
moment.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

P.S. Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in E-One computers. I just
thought that maybe some folks here may be interested in this deal.

Gordon

On 2008-05-03, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/CP/HDD/SATA/H1008.html
>
> I got one of these yesterday. Who needs food when HDDs are that price? These
> little babies really perform too:
>
> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1209772832.jpg
>
> (Ignore the dip in the graph, I did something I/O intensive while the test
> was running, it wasn't there on the previous run.)
>
> Now I have two of them, with OS and programmes on different drives. The
> difference is really noticable, even when compared with my previous 12 month
> old Seagate SATA II 320GB drive:
>
> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1209773053.jpg
>
> I'm impressed. At $125 including GST it works out at 25 cents/GB (and $30
> less than I paid for the 320). However, they're flying out the door at that
> price

Now, I know this is Spam, as in wallet grabbing stuff.

EMB

Brian Mathews wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:11:10 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm impressed. At $125 including GST it works out at 25 cents/GB (and $30
>> less than I paid for the 320). However, they're flying out the door at that
>> price so ring or email before going there if you're going to pick one up,
>> get them to hold one for you if needed. Or just order it and have it
>> delivered. They're getting them in from Ingram Micro twice a day at the
>> moment.
>>
>> Cheers,

> This is a Gray Import shop no real warranty.

FFS Roger you stupid old wanker. What part of getting them the from
Ingram micro makes them a grey imports?

Either work on your comprehension and logic skills or go back to your
PS/2 you senile old fool.

Craig Shore

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm impressed. At $125 including GST it works out at 25 cents/GB (and $30
>less than I paid for the 320). However, they're flying out the door at that
>price so ring or email before going there if you're going to pick one up,
>get them to hold one for you if needed. Or just order it and have it
>delivered. They're getting them in from Ingram Micro twice a day at the
>moment.

I wonder if they're clearing out the AS model because of the NS model?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:11:10 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm impressed. At $125 including GST it works out at 25 cents/GB
>> (and $30 less than I paid for the 320). However, they're flying out
>> the door at that price so ring or email before going there if you're
>> going to pick one up, get them to hold one for you if needed. Or
>> just order it and have it delivered. They're getting them in from
>> Ingram Micro twice a day at the moment.

> I wonder if they're clearing out the AS model because of the NS model?

I have no idea, I must admit to ignorance about the NS model.

<wanders off to Google them>
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
>> On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:11:10 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm impressed. At $125 including GST it works out at 25 cents/GB
>>> (and $30 less than I paid for the 320). However, they're flying out
>>> the door at that price so ring or email before going there if you're
>>> going to pick one up, get them to hold one for you if needed. Or
>>> just order it and have it delivered. They're getting them in from
>>> Ingram Micro twice a day at the moment.

>> I wonder if they're clearing out the AS model because of the NS
>> model?

> I have no idea, I must admit to ignorance about the NS model.
>
> <wanders off to Google them>

Oh, you mean the E series of Enterprise drives? They're not superseding the
AS models, they co-exist with them, have done for quite a while. (I just
ddn't know that they had the same model numbers bar the suffix).

I've looked at them, they're more expensive, they have some features the
desktop drives don't and vice-versa but in the end it's hard to beat 25c/GB
and a 5 year warranty.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Gordon" typed:
> On 2008-05-03, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/CP/HDD/SATA/H1008.html
>>
>> I got one of these yesterday. Who needs food when HDDs are that
>> price? These little babies really perform too:
>>
>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1209772832.jpg
>>
>> (Ignore the dip in the graph, I did something I/O intensive while
>> the test was running, it wasn't there on the previous run.)
>>
>> Now I have two of them, with OS and programmes on different drives.
>> The difference is really noticable, even when compared with my
>> previous 12 month old Seagate SATA II 320GB drive:
>>
>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1209773053.jpg
>>
>> I'm impressed. At $125 including GST it works out at 25 cents/GB
>> (and $30 less than I paid for the 320). However, they're flying out
>> the door at that price

> Now, I know this is Spam, as in wallet grabbing stuff.

Heh! Yeah, it got me to get my wallet out. Luckilly I'd just been paid
almost exactly that amount for doing a re-install of XP/drivers/AV etc. for
a mate.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
>>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:

>>> I have no idea, I must admit to ignorance about the NS model.
>>>
>>> <wanders off to Google them>

>> Oh, you mean the E series of Enterprise drives? They're not
>> superseding the AS models, they co-exist with them, have done for
>> quite a while. (I just ddn't know that they had the same model
>> numbers bar the suffix). I've looked at them, they're more expensive,
>> they have some features
>> the desktop drives don't and vice-versa but in the end it's hard to
>> beat 25c/GB and a 5 year warranty.
>>
>> Cheers,

> I didnt think the ES were that much more? $20 or $30?

Something like that. However, you're talking 20 - 25% of the cost of the
desktop Barracudas.

> url on the features?

Heh! You ask like I'm selling them. I didn't bring this up. Off the top of
my head, the ES series *doesn't* support NCQ (which doesn't seen to be of
much benefit anyway yet) and they only have 16MB of on-board cache compared
with the .11 series Barracuda's 32MB.

Conversely the E series are "optimised for workstation/server" use and are
supposed to be more reliable, have thermal control (?), power management and
I recall something about 'anti-vibration' although I have no idea how that
would work. Also they supposedly have better error correction rates. AFAIK
both series of drives have a 5 yr warranty. I think that the drives are
largely similar mechanically, the main difference being firmware.

However.... I hear that there's an ES.2 series on the way..

I'll try a Google...

Seagate's ES blurb:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro.../barracuda_es/

And their ES.2 (which I've not seen for sale in NZ yet):

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...arracuda_es.2/

The Tech Report's article on the ES series that are common in NZ:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/10748

and on the new ES.2 series:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13732

HTH.

Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:

[snip]

>> I didnt think the ES were that much more? $20 or $30?

> Something like that. However, you're talking 20 - 25% of the cost of
> the desktop Barracudas.
>
>> url on the features?

> Heh! You ask like I'm selling them. I didn't bring this up. Off the
> top of my head, the ES series *doesn't* support NCQ (which doesn't
> seen to be of much benefit anyway yet) and they only have 16MB of
> on-board cache compared with the .11 series Barracuda's 32MB.
>
> Conversely the E series are "optimised for workstation/server" use
> and are supposed to be more reliable, have thermal control (?), power
> management and I recall something about 'anti-vibration' although I
> have no idea how that would work. Also they supposedly have better
> error correction rates. AFAIK both series of drives have a 5 yr
> warranty. I think that the drives are largely similar mechanically,
> the main difference being firmware.
> However.... I hear that there's an ES.2 series on the way..

Ok, on further browsing I see that the ES.2 *is* now available in NZ,
alongside it's superseded brother, the ES.

> I'll try a Google...
>
> Seagate's ES blurb:
>
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro.../barracuda_es/
>
> And their ES.2 (which I've not seen for sale in NZ yet):
>
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...arracuda_es.2/
>
> The Tech Report's article on the ES series that are common in NZ:
>
> http://techreport.com/articles.x/10748
>
> and on the new ES.2 series:
>
> http://techreport.com/articles.x/13732

Now I've taken the time to read this I'll quote the final passage:

"Conclusions
To say that the Barracuda ES.2's performance is disappointing would be an
understatement. In fact, we were so surprised by the drive's scores in some
tests that we contacted Seagate to see what was up. It's been a couple of
weeks since, and they're still looking into it. Meanwhile, the ES.2 is
widely available for sale, compelling us to share our results.

Those results largely speak for themselves. In most tests, the Barracuda
ES.2 is slower than not only its desktop counterpart, but also its direct
rivals. This uninspired performance is particularly prevalent when we look
at our FC-Test results, which show the ES.2 to be much slower than the
competition in most cases. With 250GB platters and a 32MB cache, the ES.2
should be able to do better.

In fact, the drive can do better. One needs to look no further than the
performance of its desktop counterpart, the Barracuda 7200.11, to see that
the ES.2 is capable of delivering better performance. This is especially
apparent in IOMeter-a test that should highlight the ES.2's enterprise
credentials-where the ES.2 delivers lower transaction rates and slower
response times than the 7200.11. The opposite should be the case, as
evidenced by the original Barracuda ES, which consistently outperforms its
7200.10 counterpart in IOMeter.

The Barracuda ES.2 isn't completely without merit, of course. The drive
blitzed our disk-intensive iPEAK multitasking workloads, often beating
opponents by significant margins. It also offers extremely high throughput
in synthetic transfer rate tests and when reading and copying extremely
large files. Random access times are among the lowest we've measured for a
drive spinning at 7,200RPM, as well. But those flashes of brilliance don't
burn brightly enough to illuminate an otherwise bleak performance outlook,
especially considering the nearly $50 price premium that the drive commands
over the Barracuda 7200.11. Seagate may well address whatever is keeping the
ES.2 from reaching its full potential, but until then, the drive is a tough
sell. "

That tells me that I did the right thing buying 7200.11 drives <whew!>. I
*had* done my research beforehand (for 500GB drives, for terrabyte drives,
if I could have afforded them, I would have looked more closely at the
Samsung F1 drive) but it's nice to see further confirmation.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Craig Shore

On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:46:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:

>>> Oh, you mean the E series of Enterprise drives? They're not
>>> superseding the AS models, they co-exist with them, have done for
>>> quite a while. (I just ddn't know that they had the same model
>>> numbers bar the suffix). I've looked at them, they're more expensive,
>>> they have some features
>>> the desktop drives don't and vice-versa but in the end it's hard to
>>> beat 25c/GB and a 5 year warranty.
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> I didnt think the ES were that much more? $20 or $30?

>Something like that. However, you're talking 20 - 25% of the cost of the
>desktop Barracudas.
>
>> url on the features?

>Heh! You ask like I'm selling them. I didn't bring this up. Off the top of
>my head, the ES series *doesn't* support NCQ (which doesn't seen to be of
>much benefit anyway yet) and they only have 16MB of on-board cache compared
>with the .11 series Barracuda's 32MB.
>
>Conversely the E series are "optimised for workstation/server" use and are
>supposed to be more reliable, have thermal control (?), power management and
>I recall something about 'anti-vibration' although I have no idea how that
>would work. Also they supposedly have better error correction rates. AFAIK
>both series of drives have a 5 yr warranty. I think that the drives are
>largely similar mechanically, the main difference being firmware.
>
>However.... I hear that there's an ES.2 series on the way..
>
>I'll try a Google...
>
>Seagate's ES blurb:
>
>http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro.../barracuda_es/
>
>And their ES.2 (which I've not seen for sale in NZ yet):
>
>http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...arracuda_es.2/

http://www.tastech.co.nz/details/103140.htm

I paid $220 for the 500gig one on the 1st of March, they've come down
to $176 now, but that 7200.11 you got is bloody cheap.

>The Tech Report's article on the ES series that are common in NZ:
>
>http://techreport.com/articles.x/10748
>
>and on the new ES.2 series:
>
>http://techreport.com/articles.x/13732

I got my ES2 at the start of March. Tastech, Ascent, PP, have them.

That's a very comprehensive review, guess the ES2 drive I got isn't
that flash and the one you got is bloody amazing for the price
assuming the performance of the 500gig ones is the same as the 1000gig
ones in that review.
It was worth paying extra for me as it's accessed over an ethernet
network only so that's more of a bottleneck than the drives speed
perfomance, and I was more concerned about long term reliability than
speed. It's storing my photos, music etc.